one more thing to try

Guest hogjockey

Guest hogjockey

OK guys although i dont let it bother me as much, I still am not getting the right fuel economy. So in a last ditch effort I am going to change out the ecu. Ive changed injectors, heat sensor the bike is adjusted perfectly Valves, those damn throttle bodies, fresh plugs still loading up on the right cyl. I dont know what else to do but try that, long shot I know but there is nothing else to do. I have adjusted and checked and rechecked. it runs awesome til that right cyl loads up at a stop light or low speed riding then i have the blow it out and i get sooty black smoke then its fine again til the next light, at sustained speeds of 65 to 80 its not bad but around town its about drivin me nuts..... The Dunlop GPs are awesome .....try em. Still looking for some riders in alabama or Florida who would like to go to Barber in sept or just ride together.

any input would be great!!!!!!!!! :race:

Guest ratchethack

Hogjock, I'm no ECU/EFI expert by any stretch, but if you seem to be getting proper A/F on the left cylinder, to me this would indicate a good ECU. Have you tried switching out the coils to see if the symptoms switch sides? This would eliminate one area of possible cause. Just more or less a flyin' stab at it, but the price of eliminating the easy stuff is always right. :whistle:

It sort of sounds like a weak coil. That's pretty uncommon though, so the first thing to do would be to remove the spark plug cap and trim the wire back about one quarter inch and re-attach the spark plug cap. A very cheap thing to try and fully in concert with the KISS philosophy. You know "Keep It Simple Stupid". I have to remind myself of this constantly to remain on track. I've probably blown about three thousand dollars on my Sport 1100i trying to find the problem with that bike. I should've started with the cam chain tensioner first instead of last. That's the only thing left to change and the aftermarket item is a paltry $36. Live and learn I guess, but do the KISS approach first.