Side Panniers for V11 part 2

Guest Darth Maul

Well, they certainly look better than the Tekno's I've got :P

Do the BMW racks accomodate a little more "utilitarian" bag versus the leather "look" bags you've got mounted in the photo?

If so, I might be interested, especially if you find a way to keep the stock passenger-peg mount/exhaust hangar. Keep us in the loop if you decide to make more of these. I suspect a couple of us might be interested, depending on cost of course :)

al

P.S. I notice in the photo that you've mounted the back of kit to the mud-flap under the license plate. If I were to have one of these kits built(if you ended up selling them) I'd need that brace to just go under the tail or similar as my mud-flap/tailight eliminator kit disposed of the OEM rear fender last year :)

Much better then ugly plastic

I dunno... it's certainly a matter of personal taste, but I've seen some "plastic" bags that aren't bad. It just depends on how well their design is executed.

For me, and this is just my opinion, leather is a poor match for the looks of the LeMans... it's just a bit too fancy :P I'd prefer something a bit more sleek and "purposeful", as I would only have the bags on occassionally for actual trips... not for show. But I think the work done in this example is exemplary! :thumbsup:

I was just curious if BMW made another set of bags, similar, but with less flashy bits and more potentially durable and functional(not to say that these ones aren't)... that use the same frame and mounting.

But again... great work! I think it looks very nice, leather just isn't my style :)

al

Guest Darth Maul

hi Al,

the BMW Cruiser only comes with this set of bags and metal bracket. The other BMW series bags are the one in black plastic. the bracket are made of ABS plastic too. which makes it very difficult to modified to fit the V11. But their locking system is first class.

there are others in the BMW series as well, but its is more towards Goldwing type... lets not get into there...

Another option you might want to look into is the panniers system for the Ducati ST2/4 series. Its made by "nonfango" i think. Its large enough to fit a full face helmet. Check it out at the Ducati website.

Hey Al,

You just wizzed something by-

What do you think of the tail-light eliminator? Is it the one from Evoluzione?

When I was in CA last month, I really wanted to stop by and look at it, but I ran out of time. What part of the underside of the fender is missing? Any of it?

I've got the techno bags, and I rather like them- a six-pack just fits in 'em. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jason,

From our FAQ section:

I've got the fender eliminator from Kelly Baker's Performance Unlimited, (661) 256-7246 mgv11sport@yahoo.com

You can see photos of the finished product at:

Photos of Kelly Baker's Kit

I don't even know if he is making these anymore, but it's a quality kit if you want to actually keep the tail-light, but eliminate the entire rear fender and pull the signals "in and up" a bit. You can also see photos of it installed on my bike in my Yahoo folder(check my profile here).

My version is black anodized aluminum, and is built like a tank. He was moving to carbon or ABS versions the last time we talked back in June/July of 2002. But I haven't spoken with him since. The last I heard, I had the last aluminum one he would make, and there were only 2 of those in existence....

But, I can say that it was a real pleasure to do business with him and he was great about customer service and walked me through some questions/issues on the phone without any trouble. A really nice guy.

Anyway, hope that helps :)

al