'02 Scura vs '04 Coppa Italia/Cafe Sport

orangeokie

Is there really that much difference between the two bikes? Best I can deduce from my research on here and the official MG site, the difference comes down to sometimes peeling paint vs. non-peeling paint, single vs. double disc clutch, no crossover pipe vs. crossover pipe, clip-ons vs. non-clip-ons, and of course color scheme. Have I overlooked anything other than a new bike warranty?

I've found a pretty good deal on a Scura, but can't convince the little wifey that I need to buy it, even though I only have another 5-weeks with my hard cast on my left wrist, then some rehabilitation after that. I argue that good deals don't come around that often, and I could park it in the garage and just look at it! :P

When I told her how much more a brand new Coppa or Cafe Sport costs, she said if you have the money then buy it. I almost fainted. She actually thinks it is a better idea to spend thousands more on a new bike (later down the road when I can actually ride it) than a good deal on one now (that I can only look at). Does that make sense? Should I wait and let a bird in the hand turn into a possible two in the bush? :huh2: I plan to keep my guzzi for the long term.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah hell, hang the expense and buy them both.

Seriously tho, if the Scura has had a caring,informed owner, then any of the bugs should have been taken care of, it may have extras already fitted that you'll save cash on and general consensus says that they smooth out with miles.

Then again, a new bikes a NEW bike. And personally speaking, the Coppas look fine,indeed.

What a dilemma.

You lucky bastard. :D

I think the Scura despite being an 02 bike is short framed 99 V11, but with single plate clutch, flat matt paint and ohlins suspension. Clip on handle bars!

The Cafe Sport has the long frame, post 02 engine, ohlins. The Coppa Italia the same. The Ballabio the same but without the Ohlins. All have bars mounted above the tripple clamps!

So its apples and pears. Not satsumas and clementines comprasions.

The 02 revisons include the frame,tank, fork diameter, hollow front spindle, black faced instruments, fatter rear tyre, balance pipe on the headers, and slight alledged engine internal modifications.(errors and omisions excepted)

04 was a change on the crinkle paint to a flat satin finish.

There are allways some variations depending whats to hand when they assemble them.

Baldini, John O'Sullivan and Belfast Guzzi all have Scuras but between them they came with two different mirrors. I can't remember who was the odd one out. (they're all odd in their own way :D ) John's came from Holland, Whilst the others were sourced via the same UK dealer. I'm not sure that John's was the odd one out apart from the rattle of the clutch.

The MGNA bikes seem to be 6months to a year behind on the model years and some short framed are sold as 02 or even 03. There has been talk of Hybrids with mixed parts esp clocks or forks, but I'm not sure.

As to which is the better buy.

I was faced with the choice of a 5,000m 18 month red and silver Lemans or for £1500 more a new 03. The lure of the new bike (my first) won out. The "improved" spec and full warranty were an added bonus.

I think I lack the sophistication to notice the difference in the suspension. Brought up on flexi flyers. So if Iwas looking at another Guzzi I would make the same choice again Standard Lemans in black. If I wanted the more upright bikini versions the Ballabio.

By buying the new bike you help keep the company solvent(ish); the used helps keep our residuals high. :)

There is a theoretical 20-25mph shortfall between the Guzzi and Falco. Be certain that you won't miss that. That could be the one thing that spoils the experiance for you.

No - Scura's got the long frame & under gbox bracing as all 02 on.

I stand corrected. I was misled by the tank, and lack of balance pipes.

What about the rest of the ancilaries. Obviously the forks are Ohlins are they 43(02) or 41 (99)? OD?

ohlins spec is different in 02 Scura vs. newer Cafe sport. I like the white faced cluster vs. the new(er) black, but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the newer bike. You will need $$ to sort out the scura issues, so add that to your equation. You WILL need to re-sort suspension, take care of gbox issue, maybe a paint issue (although if it hasn't peeled by now..........) and perhaps deal with clipon discomfort, always wonder (if not worry) about the explodable clutch, etc. Unless you're looking at more than $5,000 difference, spring for the new bike.

This from a guy who owns one.

Good luck.

Dan

I have seen 2 new Coppa Italias advertised with the factory titanium pipes and ECU as part of the deal- one in the UK and one in Holland.

Does this apply to all new Coppas? If so, it makes it an even better buy.

Guy :helmet:

I have seen 2 new Coppa Italias advertised with the factory titanium pipes and ECU as part of the deal- one in the UK and one in Holland.

Does this apply to all new Coppas? If so, it makes it an even better buy.

Guy  :helmet:

57100[/snapback]

I agree. I would definitely spring for the ti cans/chip if and when I buy a new Coppa.

I am slowly "getting over" the really good deal on the Scura and setting my sights on the Coppa. I took the Scura off my screen saver and put up the Coppa. This hard cast crap is getting old. I didn't realize how much I miss riding. However, I have never dropped five figures on a motorcycle, so that is a mental hurdle I've got to get over. I guess I will do my part to help keep MG solvent! :mg:

For what its worth I bought my cafe sport with 5000m on the clock from a dealer who also had a scura for sale, I prefer the look of the scura but the matt black peeling engine paint made it look shabby compared to properly painted one (i hope)plus only£500 difference between the 04reg cafe sport and the 02 reg scura made it a good deal. I intend keeping the bike for a real long time so it should be easy enough to modify handlebar positions/fairings etc in the future if the whim takes me.

Gary :mg:

I've always had "issues" with the Coppa visually. That protruding fairing just does not flow like the non-faired bikes. It is fixed too far away from the triple tree/handlbar mount. The Scura all the way for me.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest bugsy
I've always had "issues" with the Coppa visually. That protruding fairing just does not flow like the non-faired bikes. It is fixed too far away from the triple tree/handlbar mount. The Scura all the way for me.

Ciao, Steve G.

57116[/snapback]

I say "I" to that..the Scura just looks like it was designed properly... oh & that black on black look :ninja:

I'm gettin one... well I have only found one for sale so need to see / ride her this weekend.

.... Ohlins are they 43(02) or 41 (99)? ....

43mm

I think Scura is best looking of all the V11's but I would wouldn't I! If you're looking on long term keeping the bike then most of the issues mentioned are easy to sort whichever V11 you go for, & you can always change the looks.

Have you considered Breva 1100? Next generation. Time will, tell but my impression of it is that it's a really well thought out bike with a lot of the problems of the spineframe bikes sorted - longer s/a, more forward weight distribution, slick gearbox that's totally unlike any Guzzi before (I mean light years ahead of the V11)... & it's going very good price here - £6,999. Looks can be changed, & you'd think there'll be parts available to give it a bit of grunt soon?

KB :sun:

Ciao, Steve G.

57116[/snapback]

I agree about the "look" of the front fairing. It can be fixed, however.

CoppaFuhrpark.jpg

Coppa19klein.jpg

Coppa18klein.jpg

Another thing I forgot to mention between the Scura and the Coppa . . . the Coppa has the hollow front axle which corresponds to common aprilia/ducati design.

Now I have to say that these pictures show how Moto Guzzi SHOULD have placed their mini fairing on the later spine frames. This looks "right". It looks more "incorporated" to the bike. Well done!!

Ciao, Steve G.