'02 Scura vs '04 Coppa Italia/Cafe Sport

orangeokie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steve_W
I think should also paint the tail piece to match and not leave it black. they made the effort with the cowl.

Isn't the Coppa's tail section dark green? Looks black in those pics, I know, but other pics show it green.

I don't even like green, but the Coppa's graphics treatment makes me drool. :P: Man, that bike is pretty! :wub: And I agree that it looks much better with the headlight and screen mounted on the fork. Why did the owner go back to the Sport clip-ons?

I think should also paint the tail piece to match and not leave it black. they made the effort with the cowl.

57135[/snapback]

If I were to go with the Scura I would seriously consider Paul's nice cf tail piece. Are they still available? How much?

scuracarbon5.jpg

scuracarbontail2.jpg

Well, given the Coppa's paint scheme, it certainly is going to engender different reactions based on one's personal taste... but I personally find it garish... looks like a candy wrapper :huh:

But that being said, I would definitely go for the 04 over the 02 Scura, unless you know that the Scura has already had all of its "bugs" sorted, and that includes the SP clutch.

I know there is a lot of debate about the durability, or lack thereof, on the SP clutch... but I personally would have that constantly itching in the back of my mind.

Bottom line, the 03+ bikes seem a lot better sorted from the factory than the earlier bikes, especially the 02 bikes(and I have one). So my gut reaction is to get the 04, and if you don't like some cosmetic issues like the way the bikini fairing is attached.... that is fixable as mentioned previously.

But that's just my opinion ;)

al

I just love the looks of the tailpiece on that Scura :!: How much are they? That would look great on my Rm. Hmm that may be a project for next year though lol. Btw for the thread, go buy the bike that moves you. Theyre close enough that it doesnt really matter IMO. You only live once, I bought an 01 Rosso Mandello knowing all the potential problems & with 6500 miles on it, its as good as any Honda out there so far. Knock on wood :whistle: If I were to do it all over again I'd buy the Guzzi with over 5000 miles thats been properly sorted out. But I dont know if the problems you read about in here are all that common. People rarely write in about not having any problems. So what you see in here probably makes their reliabilty appear to worse than it is. If you do get a good one like I think I do..(knock on woodlol) :whistle: You'll probably get over 50k miles out of it before anything starts to wear out...maybe a lot more than that if you dont abuse it.

Well, I don't know what the price is for the CF version, but I do know that it is significantly more than the standard plastic one(or at least used to be :huh2: )... which if I recall used to be about 450 Euro for the plastic one.. and that's unpainted.

With the exchange rate so highly in favor of the Euro right now, the tail is probably quite expensive.

Check out Paul's site, as he has lots of links/photos about his tail-piece.

http://guzzi.daytona-it.com/

Available from TLM:

http://www.tlm.nl/magazijn/webshop/detail.html?aid=13068

http://www.tlm.nl/magazijn/webshop/detail.html?aid=15725

al

. . . I know there is a lot of debate about the durability, or lack thereof, on the SP clutch... but I personally would have that constantly itching in the back of my mind. . . . al

57210[/snapback]

Scuraclutch.jpg

I remember seeing this and reading about it on here. It is a photo that will tend to "itch" in the back of one's mind. All of the Scura owners on here who kept saying that the noise from their clutches kept getting lounder and louder as the miles increased, makes you wonder.

Nevertheless, the physical (outward) beauty of that Scura is intoxicating, regardless of some peeling paint or SP clutch concerns. The difference in price is $5,500 between the new Coppa Italia. That difference tends to take the "fun" out of ownership, if you know what I mean. The psychological impact of spending money is relative to the amount of discresionary funds in one's bank account. <_ there is a thrill to owning brand new bike but also the of feeling like one got really good deal on nice used bike. with scura i could probably afford buy those trick cf tail pieces extra five large would save. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_anigrin.gif" alt=":grin:">

Well, given the Coppa's paint scheme, it certainly is going to engender different reactions based on one's personal taste... but I personally find it garish... looks like a candy wrapper  :huh:  . . .

57210[/snapback]

I know this is all subjective, but as far as brand new '04 model bikes go, which of these two bikes have the most "eye appeal," in everyone's opinion?

65807964_1.jpg

Cafe Sport

65807968_1.jpg

Coppa Italia

Cafe sport looks fantastic, goes as well as it looks and its fairing is in the right place as well, I have one in the garage and love it above everything else.( hope the wife doesnt read this). :wub::mg:

Guest Steve_W

Black and grey? Looks like a banker's suit. Booooring. Go for some color, the Italian flag colors in fact: White, red, green.

65807968_1.jpg

I'll second staedtler's riding partner, though... :P::thumbsup:

I remember seeing this and reading about it on here.  It is a photo that will tend to "itch" in the back of one's mind.  All of the Scura owners on here who kept saying that the noise from their clutches kept getting lounder and louder as the miles increased, makes you wonder.

Nevertheless, the physical (outward) beauty of that Scura is intoxicating, regardless of some peeling paint or SP clutch concerns.  The difference in price is $5,500 between the new Coppa Italia.  That difference tends to take the "fun" out of ownership, if you know what I mean.  The psychological impact of spending money is relative to the amount of discresionary funds in one's bank account.  <_ there is a thrill to owning brand new bike but also the of feeling like one got really good deal on nice used bike. with scura i could probably afford buy those trick cf tail pieces extra five large would save. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_anigrin.gif" alt=":grin:">

57242[/snapback]

Hmmm, pretty interesting differential between the new bike and the Scura. Lesseee, the new coppa goes for $15K list; I'm assuming you can pick it up for 13? That would put the Scura in at $7.5K, which is still just a little bit pricey I think. These bikes went very cheap as leftovers in 03 and 04, and have similarily weak resale. I agree, I think my Scura is a LOT prettier than either the Coppa or the plain jane Cafe sport.

See what's been done to the Scura. Does it have peeling paint? Have they sorted the suspension at all? Any gearbox work done? Also, mods can make the savings even more tasty. I've got a custom seat, touring rack, bmw-style accessory plug, bar risers, peg lowers, a tank bag, gel grips, fiamm horns and aftermarket mirrors on mine --- obviously, even a few of those added extras will make the used bike look a whole lot prettier to you ----

Looks like you're leaning on saving a few bucks here. I'm with ya -- it's a big reason why I bought a leftover Scura. Just be advised. This bike is ANYTHING but plug and play. :D

PS there ain't NO WOMEN like that that ride bikes..............last 2 I saw looked like they were from the farm..........and they were the livestock.

Dan

PS there ain't NO WOMEN like that that ride bikes..............last 2 I saw looked like they were from the farm..........and they were the livestock.

You need to go oggle more often:

denardi_b.jpg

Few of the links below will point to supermodels, but there are some faces to fall in love at first site over:

www.ducatiwomen.com/women/

www.sportbikegirl.com/womenpics.html

http://www.bikerlady.com/

http://www.ladybiker.com/

http://groups.msn.com/KarinaDavila51

http://www.katja-poensgen.de/engl/index2.html

http://www.wimagb.co.uk/Photo.html or the US site has better dental work http://www.wimausa.org/