Rebuilding after Crash

Dr Gil

I'm starting to feel a bit better physically after my crash. In fact I’m feeling well enough to start thinking about getting the Le Mans back on the road. I'm still waiting on the insurance adjuster to make up his mind what he's going to do (can't even get anyone to look at the bike to assess the damage...nearest dealership is 250 miles away). I'm thinking they will feel that even though the bike is straight (just my impression and I'm no expert) that replacing the plastics and other mostly cosmetic stuff will total it.

So I'm starting to shop around and get some prices on parts I know I will need. Herein lies my problem. Like I mentioned I'm in a remote area of northern California and am depending the computer for most of my research. I'm coming up with almost NO sites with parts/price lists for stock Le Mans parts. The better ones I'm seeing all seem to be European with no English translation. I'm pretty much in over my head to start with and having to use Alta Vista's Babelfish to translate is putting a serious crimp in my progress.

So would would be wonderful is if some of you could suggest online sources for parts. I don't always know the specific names of the parts I require so best is lists that I can sift through with prices. This way I can get an approximate idea of what bringing the beloved Guzzi back to life will cost me (I went out and started it for the first time today...couldn't use the choke, broken, but it bless it's heart it started right up and ran STRONG!)

I know I need the tail section fairing, the front left portion of the front fairing, windshield, left hand front and back turn signals, left clip-on, etc.

Anyone have a list of sites that might be of use?

thanks in advance,

Gilberto

I know I need the tail section fairing, the front left portion of the front fairing, windshield, left hand front and back turn signals, left clip-on, etc.

Anyone have a list of sites that might be of use? 

thanks in advance,

Gilberto

First of all get well soon and have always the mind and the luck to stay away from situationts like these.

Been myself some time in the past and I know its really awfull.

Anyway here are some links so moght help finding what you want

REBOOT GUZZI There are plenty of used parts for bikes.

MOTO MECCA Spares They have some stuff as well.

AGOSTINI

I have to mention Agostini's place.Less than 300m from the factory in Mandelo they sure have what you may need, If they don't then it won't be so hard for them to find it for you.

Stein Dinse

THis is German but they speak English and somewhere in the site you'll find Englsh translation and so on. Click on news and continue.They have A LOT of everything AFAIK there is a department in USA email them to ask what you need.

DB-CyclesThis one is on ebay well ebay is another source of finding parts , but they're not always there when you need them so this is sth to be done on free time.

CORSA ITALIANA English site , never tried it before , seem to have many accessories as well, Try it out

WebBikeWorld Many infos , artikles, you name it as well other interesting links, not a seller's site but something it might get you there as well.

:bier:

Hope these help to find what you need and all the best for a good recovery in all :thumbsup:

Dr. Gil, I don't speak German, but I've bought a couple things from this guy. He doesn't speak English but somehow we get the transactions done. He has other stuff besides what you see here. Just ask

http://stores.ebay.com/Simones-Guzziladen_...aQ3amesstQQtZkm

You can email him direct @ 320060312288-0001@T-Online.de His name is Stefan

Then there is http://www.mphcycles.com/ occasionally they get a wrecked bike & somtimes have take off parts

I've not found a site with listed oem panels and replacement parts/prices you describe. If no comes up with such I'd start by taking some good digital shots both closeup and some with bike filling the frame and contact a good dealer like MPH. Todd has always been fair in pricing items like a used oem airbox to me and that seems like a good place to begin.

Thanks to all for their input.

It's going to take me awhile to digest all this info and to poke around these websites but the insurance people are moving slower than I'd like so I seem to have some time on my hands to deal with things. <_>

I'm starting to get a good feeling about being able to bring my Le Mans back from this crash. :luigi:

hey laddie,

i get all my parts from mgcycle.com moto international and moto guzzi classics.

mgcycle has been consitantly great in getting me hard to find replacement parts (liek when my stucchi flyscreen got smashed by a falling tree!)

Moto international and moot guzzi classics are phenomenal dealer resources, between all those guys, they know everything there is to know :)

also, todd eagan is THE man on the west cost when it comes to performance tuning etc on the v11 motor, you might want to try http://www.socal-guzzi.com/ and ping him there ( i know he occasionally reads this forum as well)

So I've gotten tired of waiting for the insurance adjuster to show up and have started peeling off the broken bits of the Le Mans. I figured both he/she and I would need to take a peek beneath the beat up pieces of fairning anyway. The bike took a bad 200 foot slide down the asphalt but no took no tumbles and hit nothing. It looks to my inexperienced eye as though most all (with the exception of the "fork base" (the lower triple tree...my steering stops are WAY too wide on a right turn currently) are simply "bolt-off/bolt-on" sort of repairs. :luigi: The frame, forks, engine (except for the valve cover and guard) and wheels look perfect! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of taking this oportunity to replace all the destroyed "messy" parts of the rear end with the "cleaned up" Kelly Baker version that Al R had done to his (it's in the FAQ's). I'm still pondering what to do with the exhausts however. It looks to me like the whole system is shoved to the right. I'm tempted to just "shove left" and see what happens. In reality though I think I can actually replace the whole exhaust system with some stuff I've seen in the online forums (including here) for what it would cost me for one OEM exhaust can. Of course this would have to wait until I heal up a bit more and actually have the strength to "shove." <_>

remove01.jpg

remove05.jpg

remove12.jpg

A couple of standard cans in the UK on Ebay being sold as seperate items £49.99 each no bids so far.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTO-GUZZI-VII-SPORT...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTO-GUZZI-VII-SPORT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guy  :helmet:

58817[/snapback]

You'll get it all from Teo Lammers in the Netherlands, www.tlm.nl

Guest ratchethack
I'm still pondering what to do with the exhausts however.  It looks to me like the whole system is shoved to the right.  I'm tempted to just "shove left" and see what happens.  ...Of course this would have to wait until I heal up a bit more and actually have the strength to "shove."   <_<

Doc, from your shots it doesn't look too bad. Of course a key "go/no-go" point going forward will likely hinge around a determination with certainty if the frame has been tweaked. If it was just a slide with no hard impact or tumbling as you noted, there's a high probability that you're OK. Not sure if this has occurred to you, but the intact stock exhaust system appears to be "shoved to the right" when viewed from the rear, due to the offset of the brake hangers to clear the more outboard dimension of the swingarm on the drive side. Your shot clearly shows the different "dogleg" offsets of the muffler hangers. Just wanted to make sure you didn't "shove left" with the idea that you need to get it even... :o

I'll be surprised if the insurance company doesnt total it out. Just trying to calculate what all the fairing, clip ons, exhaust etc... The bike is probably easily repairable, but it will be very near or more than the worth of the bike. Either way as long as your not badly hurt its cool. Theres always plenty of V11's for sale.

It doesn't take too much of an impact to damage the frame. Take the tank off and very carefully examine the spine at the steering head and especially thoroughly just aft of the engine mount sub-frame rear bolts where they attach to the spine. If it's bent, buckled or twisted in any way - part the bike out. It simply is not cost effective to repair these bikes at that level. Been there done that, rue the decision to do so. Damage at the spine level can also involve damage to the front engine mount ($

UPDATE:

Yesterday I spent the morning entertaining the insurance adjuster while he appraised my ’02 Le Mans. After hemming-and hawing over the bike he pretty much agrees with me that basically it's straight...but the insurance company is surely going to total it. Things like a pair of small (buff-able to my way of thinking) scratches on the fuel tank means that it must be replaced, etc. No problem. Depending on the value of the bike and the payoff we settle on I'm thinking (at least for this 10 minute period...it changes) that I'm going to repair the Le Mans. What better way to get to really know my bike :luigi:

So then, I need to start checking on the availability of parts. In an effort to save $$$ I’m planning (instead of buying all brand-spanking-new genuine Guzzi parts) to substitute either Buell , aftermarket (I'm thinking of "cleaning up" the ruined tail section) or used parts.

I've posted a listing of things I'm going to need HERE.. So if anyone has any spares of the parts I need or that they no longer require please PM me here or email to (drgil@pacbell.net) and let me know what you've got.

Thanks in advance,

Gil