MyECU installed on my 2003 V11

F344

I am an authorized Power Commander dealer/Tuning Link Center and  Certified PC tech  Dyno shop owner. (250i)

I have Power Commanders fitted and  running on 03 Lemans, and 04 Cafe sports with super results. Individual cyl. mapping does wonders for these bikes.

P.S, The Power Commander will fit ANY Guzzi running the 15m computer, Cruisers and sport bikes, Just the maps differ.

61721[/snapback]

John, can you take a minute to answer a question that's been raised before?

There is obviously big room for improvement with the stock 'road legal' ECU. Do you have some experience of the MG 'race' ECU that is supplied with the Ti. cans kit?

If so, what do you think of the way it's tuned and is there always room for further improvement by adding a PC? I imagine that the Ti kit ECU must be mapped pretty much the way it should be if it weren't for the factory having to put out road bikes that conform to various legislation (so the stock ECU isn't optimum for 'just riding' performance considerations).

I'm very happy with the MG kit – the bike runs well and sounds very nice. It is still pretty rich at idle, but I don't know that that's much of a problem. I don't drive the bike at idle. Have you found that there are still bad areas that become obvious, when compared to the kit PLUS additional tinkering from a PC?

You mention individual cylinder mapping. Do all tuning centres do the same stuff and is the setting-up / tuning process fairly foolproof – so it's guaranteed that the bike will be improved?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" Do you have some experience of the MG 'race' ECU that is supplied with the Ti. cans kit?"

Yes, I put the Race ecu and Ti pipes on my 01 Rosso Mandello And have put a PC on a 03 Lemans with the ti. pipe race ecu.

"I imagine that the Ti kit ECU must be mapped pretty much the way it should be if it weren't for the factory having to put out road bikes that conform to various legislation"

You would think so but I have found, (as has Todd) that the race ecu is just slightly richer in spots but far from optimal. There is no horsepower gains over stock unless the original ecu was extremely lean. In other words, fueling only has been altered.

Guzzis in general (I have found) are all over the place fuel wise. No two bikes are close.

"I'm very happy with the MG kit – the bike runs well and sounds very nice. It is still pretty rich at idle, but I don't know that that's much of a problem. I don't drive the bike at idle. Have you found that there are still bad areas that become obvious, when compared to the kit PLUS additional tinkering from a PC? "

Guzzis suffer most from lean conditions at part throttle and lower revs. This causes lean miss fires and a very unhappy engine around town. Also, on-off throttle transitions suffer.

"You mention individual cylinder mapping. Do all tuning centres do the same stuff and is the setting-up / tuning process fairly foolproof – so it's guaranteed that the bike will be improved?"

Depends. Any center can do individual Cyl. mapping if they are familiar with the DynoJet software. It would be, faster and give better results if you find a "Tuning Link" center and someone who knows what he is doing. And don't let them tell you they don't know Guzzis, If it burns gas, they can tuine it!

And yes, getting both jugs burning the same makes for a smoother stronger engine.

Guzzis in general (I have found) are all over the place fuel wise. No two bikes are close.

Guzzis suffer most from lean conditions at part throttle and lower revs. This causes lean miss fires and a very unhappy engine around town. Also, on-off throttle transitions suffer.

61775[/snapback]

By Crickey!! Finally my pig is making sense!!!

My last conversation with my mechanic:

BMG: "I really think my bike is running lean"

Mechanic: "yeah - you wouldn't believe how lean it is running. Seems to be making good power though..."

That's it. I'm taking over my bike wrenching. I've obviously left too much to the hands of Guzzi trained mechanic. From now on I'll trust what I know and not assume they know better!!!

Thanks John!!! I'm going to get everything sorted out where it is supposed to be stock (including finding some other shop who can reset my ECU to stock config)and then go for a dynotune in the spring. I remember them monkeying with the stock ECU to "lean it out for better mileage" when I complained about 23mpg being on the low side. "My bad" obviously.

hopeful again,

Ryan

Closed loop systems for motorcycles are not perfect by any means, but I hope it works well for you. Cliffs system seems to do so.

61709[/snapback]

Yah, Cliff's closed loop is not perfect, but I suspect with a $2000 4 gas anal-ysis to create a near perfect base map and then with the closed loop and wideband sensor to keep it near perfect, the bike will ride with the perfection of a Lexus and the soul of a Guzzi! :mg:

...albeit nearly US$3000 over stock price.

Of course one could just do what Frank did, and get better than 90% improvement toward perfection for less than the cost TechnoResearch's Motorbike Diagnostic, a PCIII and a dyno tune.

Either way, a great improvement to a great bike.

:bier:

Guest Nogbad

The PCIII can only address fuelling I thought. If you want to get rid of the dreaded pinging, don't you need a way of altering the ignition map?

A few months ago there was a long and fairly accrimonious thread on the relative merits of various tuning options for FI machines and i hope this doesn't open up that can of worms again.

Just a couple of observations from my point of view as a hardened Luddite though;

I've only ever ridden one bike with a PC III fitted and it was obviously mapped wrong. This ISN'T, I don't think, indicative of any inherent fault of the product though and obviously there are a heap of satisfied clients so lets not turn this into a 'My product is better than your product' type argument, OK.

I've never been particularly impressed with injected Guzzis, most specifically the *Sporting* variants. Why they should be so dreadful as delivered ex-factory I haven't a clue. I'm sure that proper set-up will improve them but I always felt that one of the best improvements one could make would be throwing away the injectors and substituting a bloody great pair of carburetors :grin: .

Then Cliff contacted me and explained what he was doing. I was fairly skeptical as I'd always seen the development of something like an ECU as being a pretty big-budget type affair, (I'm an electrical neophyte, I can deal with charging systems and that's about it :rolleyes: ). Then he bought his Sport Corsa up to me and let me take it for a spin. Cliff being Cliff still wasn't happy with it but to me it was a revelation! Even with the light flywheel and a somewhat clunky gearbox the machine was barely recognisable as an FI Guzzi. It pulled from, quite litterally, nothing all the way to 'Brown-underpants-ville' in any gear with no surging, missing, hunting or any of the other usual traits I'd come to expect from a *Sporting* FI Guzzi. Bloody Marvelous!!!!!!!

One of the major factors in my deciding to buy a Greasy-Pig is the fact that Cliff's computer and knowledge is available. I no longer feel that I have to do the hard yards learning about FI by groping in the dark as it were and also with a system such as Cliff's I'm not limited in any way as to the changes and modifications I can make to the machine and I'm afraid I'm one of those people who is never, ever happy unless he's fiddling with something, (Quite often myself!).

As I've said before I'm not connected comercially with Cliff in any way at all but I do have an enormous amount of respect for the man and his product, the fact he's also a top bloke is just an added bonus.

Incidentally he's also developed a programmable ignition for the older, points equipped, models. In fact he's coming up here today and we're going to play with a few more ignition maps on one I'm fitting to the SP. The race bike ran one of his ignitions at Oran Park yesterday where Rob won the Startline Grand Prix to the first corner against a host of big jap 4's and a couple of Ducati's. Since he's never been able to do that before I'd suggest the new ignition may of played a significant part. Pity he set fire to the bike in the pits before the second race which rather stopped the effort dead in it's tracks :grin: No matter, we've won the Post Classic Period 4 Unlimited title this year anyway in NSW and it's time for the racebike engine to come apart again anyway.

Pete

Guest John T
The PCIII can only address fuelling I thought. If you want to get rid of the dreaded pinging, don't you need a way of altering the ignition map?

61973[/snapback]

The tps adjustment will alter timeing somewhat so if the tps is adjusted way out of spec, (usually to advanced) this will cause pinging.

Also, a bike will tend to ping less if it is not way too lean. Lean equals hot and this can cause pinging.

Guest Nogbad
The tps adjustment will alter timeing somewhat so if the tps is adjusted way out of spec, (usually to advanced) this will cause pinging.

Also, a bike will tend to ping less if it is not way too lean. Lean equals hot and this can cause pinging.

62063[/snapback]

Been through this. My TPS is set stock pretty accurately. The bike is pretty good as long as the temperature outside is below about 25°C. Go above that or ride in heavy traffic for half an hour and serious pinging occurs until the engine cools off. Only use premium gas, regular is terrible except in the winter when you can get away with it.

I'm lucky to get 40 mpg, so wouldn't be too keen to make the overall map richer. The engine isn't very efficient compared with some other V twins, but is more efficient than a screaming Jappo four I'll give it that.

I'm not really sure about the mileage yet.

I added the O2 sensor today, but since I started playing with this, both tanks of gas have had a lot of sitting and idling time.

My bike always got about 30-31, and that is what I’ve gotten so far, but, as I said, I've been letting it sit at idle a lot while I mess with it.

I'll have a better answer in a week or so.

Frank

Ox_Sensor_2_in_Header_email.jpg

A few months ago there was a long and fairly accrimonious thread on the relative merits of various tuning options for FI machines and i hope this doesn't open up that can of worms again.

Just a couple of observations from my point of view as a hardened Luddite though;

I've only ever ridden one bike with a PC III fitted and it was obviously mapped wrong. This ISN'T, I don't think, indicative of any inherent fault of the product though and obviously there are a heap of satisfied clients so lets not turn this into a 'My product is better than your product' type argument, OK.

I've never been  particularly impressed with injected Guzzis, most specifically the *Sporting* variants. Why they should be so dreadful as delivered ex-factory I haven't a clue. I'm sure that proper set-up will improve them but I always felt that one of the best improvements one could make would be throwing away the injectors and substituting a bloody great pair of carburetors :grin: .

Then Cliff contacted me and explained what he was doing. I was fairly skeptical as I'd always seen the development of something like an ECU as being a pretty big-budget type affair, (I'm an electrical neophyte, I can deal with charging systems and that's about it :rolleyes: ). Then he bought his Sport Corsa up to me and let me take it for a spin. Cliff being Cliff still wasn't happy with it but to me it was a revelation! Even with the light flywheel and a somewhat clunky gearbox the machine was barely recognisable as an FI Guzzi. It pulled from, quite litterally, nothing all the way to 'Brown-underpants-ville' in any gear with no surging, missing, hunting or any of the other usual traits I'd come to expect from a *Sporting* FI Guzzi. Bloody Marvelous!!!!!!!

One of the major factors in my deciding to buy a Greasy-Pig is the fact that Cliff's computer and knowledge is available. I no longer feel that I have to do the hard yards learning about FI by groping in the dark as it were and also with a system such as Cliff's I'm not limited in any way as to the changes and modifications I can make to the machine and I'm afraid I'm one of those people who is never, ever happy unless he's fiddling with something, (Quite often myself!).

As I've said before I'm not connected comercially with Cliff in any way at all but I do have an enormous amount of respect for the man and his product, the fact he's also a top bloke is just an added bonus.

Incidentally he's also developed a programmable ignition for the older, points equipped, models. In fact he's coming up here today and we're going to play with a few more ignition maps on one I'm fitting to the SP. The race bike ran one of his ignitions at Oran Park yesterday where Rob won the Startline Grand Prix to the first corner against a host of big jap 4's and a couple of Ducati's. Since he's never been able to do that before I'd suggest the new ignition may of played a significant part. Pity he set fire to the bike in the pits before the second race which rather stopped the effort dead in it's tracks :grin: No matter, we've won the Post Classic Period 4 Unlimited title this year anyway in NSW and it's time for the racebike engine to come apart again anyway.

Pete

62015[/snapback]

Hey,Pete where can we find out more on this flying tractor?

Thanks- I'll be interested to know what happens.  I expect not much difference, but I'm nosy.

Does the O2 sensor need to be that close to the head?

62150[/snapback]

Hi,

No, I think it can be pretty much anywhere you want it. But it is only accurate when it is up to operating temperature, so i put it there.

Frank

I have a LM-1/LM-3 wideband A/F & data logger for tuning my toy cars, but the Bosch LSU4.2, 5-wire, wide-band O2 sensor is too large for the MG bung. Does anyone know what wideband O2 sensor will fit that bung?

I have a LM-1/LM-3 wideband A/F & data logger for tuning my toy cars, but the Bosch LSU4.2, 5-wire, wide-band O2 sensor is too large for the MG bung.  Does anyone know what wideband O2 sensor will fit that bung?

62236[/snapback]

I think you have to get a new bung welded in.