Removing speedometer from frame

orangeokie

I'm in the middle of switching out my metal tach/speedo frame for one of carbon fiber on my Rosso Corsa. I got the tach out, no problem. I don't want to break anything, so I thought I'd ask someone who has taken out the speedo. After taking off the bevel ring, did you just force the speedo and rubber grommet out of the frame holder, or did you remove the trip meter knob and slide out the speedo, just like the tach?

If one must remove the knob, how does it come out without breaking it? It feels a little flimsy.

Thanks for a quick response. I'm trying to finish the job before it gets dark. (about another hour and a half.)

ANSWER: You just push out the speedo and rubber grommet. Don't have to mess with the reset knob.

Edited by orangeokie

Guest ratchethack
I'm in the middle of switching out my metal tach/speedo frame for one of carbon fiber on my Rosso Corsa.  I got the tach out, no problem.  I don't want to break anything, so I thought I'd ask someone who has taken out the speedo.  After taking off the bevel ring, did you just force the speedo and rubber grommet out of the frame holder, or did you remove the trip meter knob and slide out the speedo, just like the tach?

If one must remove the knob, how does it come out without breaking it?  It feels a little flimsy.

Orangeokie, I hope you didn't pry off the bezel ring. If so, sorry - but this was unnecessary, and it's tedious to get back on, you only need to do this for internal access to the instruments. It's way too easy to break the glass in the process (don't ask). :blush: The odo reset is reverse threaded, and can be unscrewed (clockwise). This allows you to remove the plastic housing that surrounds both tach and speedo via the acorn nuts that secure it from the back, then each instrument is easily removed. Don't force anything and be careful routing the internal tach wires going back together.

Orangeokie, I hope you didn't pry off the bezel ring.  If so, sorry - but this was unnecessary, and it's tedious to get back on, you only need to do this for internal access to the instruments.  It's way too easy to break the glass in the process (don't ask). :blush:   The odo reset is reverse threaded, and can be unscrewed (clockwise).  This allows you to remove the plastic housing that surrounds both tach and speedo via the acorn nuts that secure it from the back, then each instrument is easily removed.  Don't force anything and be careful routing the internal tach wires going back together.

61968[/snapback]

Thanks for the warning, but too late. I already removed both bevel rings and so far, cannot get them to fit back on securely. I will probably tap on them with a small rubber mallet to see if I can get the tiny pegs to seat firmly in the holes. If they are not supposed to come off, I guess I could put a drop of Super Glue on them to hold 'em. I tried twisting the trip meter knob counter clockwise, but it did not seem like it wanted to come off, so I left well enough alone. Glass is still perfect. I cleaned it with some anti-fog cleaner for good measure. One thing I noticed when removing the acorn nuts. They were already very loose. Seems they were beginning to back off, with only 1000 miles on the clock. There was something rattling around inside the back cases. Turns out the crimp washers were just lying "inside" the cases. I figure they need to be on the outside of the case where the acorn nuts can be tightened up against them. I ran out of sunlight before I could get everything back together, so I will try to carefully reassemble the wiring and cases. It's a bit more of a job than I thought.

BTW . . . do all of the wires on the back of the instruments come off to allow removal of the instrument frame?

Guest ratchethack
It's a bit more of a job than I thought.

Arrrrrghhhh! It just occurred to me that you don't have the Veglia instruments, in which case things are different - no wonder I couldn't quite imagine what you were doing from your posts. :homer: Sorry. I sheepishly withdraw my advice. :blush:

RE: Your comment above, welcome to my world, where "Mission Creep" invariably sneaks into my workshop through the back door (uninvited) and sticks around breathing down my neck until I've emptied the contents of my tool cabinets - and the beer's long gone. <_<

Well I finished the job today. I ended up taking off the wind screen to get better access to the back of the gauges. The screws were a bugger to line up and get them to come through the holes in the back of the cases. The little rubber gasket strip that goes on top of the warning light T was also quite uncooperative, as was the rubber gasket around the trip meter knob. Once finished I decided to start her up and "nothing." Not sure what that's all about, but I was running out of sunlight again, so I rolled her back into the trailer and tied her down. I hope it's just my battery down a bit. I'm going to get a trickle charger and see if a good charge makes a difference.

• 11 months later...

It looks like I will be doing this myself soon. FYI I checked with Palo Alto Speeometer today on a repair for my '04 Nero. It went like this:

Hi Palo Alto Speedometer:

I have a 2004 Moto Guzzi LeMans and the odometer quit working yesterday. The speedometer is working OK, but the trip meter/odometer does not work. I understand the instruments on the later year Moto Guzzi’s are made by ITT instead of the earlier Veglia’s. So, I wanted to confirm that you guys can repair/work on this before I sent it to you and get a ball park cost. Let me know, regards.

PA Speedo's reply by Hartmut Mees:

I am sorry but we are not able to get parts for the 2004 Moto Guzzi instruments. We have tried several times to repair these, but without parts there is no reliable repair possible. I am not sure who to recommend you to, sorry. Thank you for asking.

Bummer :huh2: Anybody got a plan B?

Bummer :huh2: Anybody got a plan B?

Plan B: Sigma electronic digital bicycle speedometer. Even the full zoot, every feature under the sun model will probably cost you less than $50, it's more accurate than the stock Guzzi unit, smaller, lighter & the only real drawback is that it's harder to read than the stock analog speedo.

Best o' luck,

:bike:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a thread on Wildguzzi about how to repair the gears on ITI instruments, written by Wayne Orwig, I think.. Too late for Keith but some others may benefit. I fixed mine for use until my warranty replacement cam in two weeks ago.

In an evil twist of Italian irony...tonight I finally get around to swapping out the old and new units. I take a good look at them side by side and lo and behold... the frigg'in new one is a KILOMETER ONLY instrument!!

WTF :huh2: well, back to the drawing board (and send this thing back to Speed's Cycles. It looks like I will be reading Mr. Orwig's article - thanks Greg.

• 1 month later...

In an evil twist of Italian irony...tonight I finally get around to swapping out the old and new units. I take a good look at them side by side and lo and behold... the frigg'in new one is a KILOMETER ONLY instrument!!

WTF :huh2: well, back to the drawing board (and send this thing back to Speed's Cycles. It looks like I will be reading Mr. Orwig's article - thanks Greg.

Well it's a late update but FWIW I'm back in business. The correct MPH/KPH reading speedo showed up on Nov.22nd and I installed it in early December so all's good for another ah... 10K ? MG PN 000017624900 if you are interested, cheers.

Don't take the plastic bezel off unless you want to access the gears etc inside. The trip knob comes off very east , its held on with a very tiny philips head screw, nail polish upon reassembly. Don't be afraid to use a little glue on the ring if you do remove it they can fly off going down the road! :luigi:

>>There's a thread on Wildguzzi about how to repair the gears on ITI instruments, written by Wayne Orwig, I think.. >>

I tried to find this thread using their search engine but turned up zip.

Could someone post a link to that thread?

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack