Red Wheels!

RichMaund

Folks

Some of you have been asking for pics of the red powdercoating I had done to my wheels. Here it is! :pic:

The rear wheel is still off awaiting the fasteners.

The brake disk fasteners for the front wheel came in today. VERY fast service on the part of Mike Haven at MPH Cycles in Houston Tx. Thanks Mike!

Eish had the rear fasteners in stock and mailed them Wednesday. But go figure, the post office hasn't gotten them here yet! :angry:

I had the powdercoating done by a local shop in Newport News Va. Cost was $75 per wheel. Crimson red with clear coat. Very fair price for the quality of work they did!

I serviced the front supension yesterday too. Pretty straight-forward job. I cut spring spacers that are 13mm longer than stock to increase preload. I used 7 weight fluid instaed of the stock 10 weight. Pumping the old fluid out convinved me that all I have read about these being over damped is correct. The 7 weight felt better and 5 weight, as recommended by Dealers here, may be best yet. But I'm a heavy guy and really load the bike. I'll try the 7W stuff for now.

I think it looks sharp as heck! Hope y'all like it too!

RedWheels.jpg

Rich, that looks so goog it hurts! now my silly silver wheels look so dull. I'll try to drink more and get over it.

What did you cut your spring spacers from?

Rich, love the wheels! :thumbsup: May I ask what the paintjob cost you?

The colourscheme of your bike is one of the nicest I've seen. I'm still having a bit of trouble with the "back part of the seat" and the flaming red bag mount. But that's probably the European in me... :D

I just ordered the same cylinder guards as you @ Joe Kenny's. Hopefully they'll arrive soon.

BTW. I'm just listening to the news. After 48 hrs. the war on Iraq starts. Is there still a possibility you have to show up there? What's your opinion on all this?

We've heard opposition in the US is decreasing? In the UK Tony Blair is having a very difficult time to get his country behind him. In Holland we support the US politically, but not military. Typically Holland. The only thing we do is help protect NATO-member Turkey with Patriot Surface to Air Missiles. But we'll probably don't shoot at all. (These missiles are quite expensive you know... <_< )

The wheels cost $75 each to strip and powdercoat. And he threw in doing the new passenger backpad bracket I made with the job. I had another larger passenger backet done for a customer's seat in wrinkle black for $15.

I'm a Gulf War Veteran and did 20 years in our Navy. I am physically beat up and drawing 50% disability from our Veterans Administration. But in our country, they simply deduct the disability from my retirement pay, so I am funding my own disability. That is typical here. This country has always treated veterans like crap. All I really see is a tax break on it and some educational benefits.

I am against the war, but support our troops. I have yet to be convinced by any facts yet presented that what we are doing is just and right. I hear our President invoke God on his side, and that scares me. Fanatics of any type who hide behind God are dangerous people. I see much drum beating and politicians exhorting people to the war. But I have not seen a true fact presented, just suspicions that his threat is bad enough for us to invade a soveriegn nation.

As a nuclear mechanic I was taught to study my ass off and question everything. I was trained to think for myself. That, since on a submarine your crew mates lives depend on your always taking correct action in any situation. I never blindly followed orders, even if I was ordered to! I have questioned this situation repeatedly and find my governments answers wanting badly. This is a case where the herd is following the leader blindly. Afterall, ten million lemmings can't be wrong, right? I am disgusted with it. I look ahead at the fallout from this and it scares me badly.

I served to protect a free country. I wonder if I wasted my time. Now we have shopping mall security gaurds telling a boy to take off his T shirt (It said "Give peace a chance" on it.) or leave the Mall. So much for free speech, eh? Am I supposed to hate the good folks that own my favorite diner because they're Arab? They lost business after 9/11. I refuse to give into that. They are the same good people who have always treated us so well in their restaurant. They had nothing to do with 9/11. They are just working hard to achieve their American Dream and I admire them for it. I've watched my country slowly and badly being turned towards being a fascist state since 9/11. That scares me very deeply. We are doing exactly what the bad guys want. We may as well be working for them now.

That's all I will say on it. It is depressing to dwell upon. By the way, if they do call me up to active duty, be scared. That means it's a desperate situation. They'd really be scraping the barrel if they bring back crippled vets to active duty! :wacko:

It's good to hear some common sense coming from the US. :thumbsup:

Now we have shopping mall security gaurds telling a boy to take off his T shirt (It said "Give peace a chance" on it.) or leave the Mall. So much for free speech, eh?
This has happened? If so, I'm reconsidering visiting the US next year...

Docc. I used 1" schedule 40 white PVC pipe to make the spacers. You can buy ten feet of it for under $1.50. It was a good fit and even has a thicker wall than the stock spacer. Of course, now I still have over nine feet of it left over. I'll probably use it to stake my tomato plants in the garden this summer.

All Italian bikes are red. Wether it be inside (The Primer! :P ) or on the outside. It denotes the passion for motorcycling that went into their design!

The prototype V11S first shown at the German show in the late 90's had red wheels and polished valve covers. With the silver bodywork, it was stunning! Still on my mind to this day. I wanted to achieve that look for my own bike.

I thought the silver wheels dumbed down the look for the retail market. That was a mistake. I simply corrected it as I would an oil leak. Now the bike is what it was originally designed to be.

I have had non motorcyclists look at this bike and just act stunned by it. Happened in a Barbershop once. That time was especially memorable. A guy in his 50's came in after I had already been inside for a while. He didn't even take a number. He just stood by the window and gazed at the bike. Lost in it! He finally asked who owned it. I answered up. He said "My God, that is a beautiful machine!". I asked him what he rode, he didn't ride! But, just as a guy can recognize an especially beautiful woman, he recognized this bike. I know just how he feels.

That's why I was sad to see Guzzi go with fuzzy black engine paint, black frames with cheesy plastic pieces to try to hide the frame. And then they went with chopped up color schemes that ruin the flow of the bike. The 2000 and 2001 bikes set a high standard in their style. They had no where to go from there but down, so down they went. Just my opinion. I was glad to see the changes for '03. Especially the new engine paint. But Man! I miss seeing the red frames!

Picture a metallic black Lemans with red frame and wheels and matching black Givi bags with red trim. NOW you're talking style AND function! :bier:

While I usually try not to respond to political issues, I feel that I must in this case. The upcoming war in Iraq seems to me to be about just two issues: removing a leader who is dangerous to his own people and potentially all peace loving individuals. Hussein kills his own people and most Iraq citizens live in fear of the secret police. Point two is his hatred of America. His support of terrorists and what happened on 9-11 makes it clear that something needs to be done. Unfortunately the UN, which should be the body to resolve this is mired in the usual political bullshit because of governments like France, Russia and Germany, all of which have monetary interests in Iraq and trying to control US influence.

This is not about Muslims. This is all about these countries trying to stop the US, Great Britan and the other free countries from protecting themselves. Remember history in the 20th century. The Nazi's with the Arian Race Superority, the French who by and large joined them (read your history carefully) and the Russians who tried to dominate the world in the later half (remember communism?).

You may not agree with George W., but I truly believe that his motives are to protect people who want to be self governing. That is the American principle of self determination. Are there other concerns like oil? Maybe, but it seems to me that Iraq is not the only place to get it. He is not your typical political animal. He believes in doing what is right, at least what he believes is right. And his thoughts are supported by a significant majority of americans (see the polls) despite what the morons in Hollywood are spouting.

Bottom line; If the UN wasn't the totally ineffective entity that it is, then this would not be necessary. For 10 years Huessein has ignored the resolutions! When is it enough already. If they (coalition/UN) would have finished the job in the Gulf War, we wouldn't be here now.

I only hope that when this is all said and done the Europeans will remember the cost of freedom sometimes means going in and fighting for it for others as well as yourself. Twice the US has supported Europe to keep it free. It is a shame to see the response this time for Iraq. It seems that some in Europe have a very short memory.

Russ

I agree with you in many of your points. Especially Hollywood being filled with morons!

Yeah, he's been running roughshod over his own people and others for years. And except for his invasion of Kuwait, we gave him a pass every time to get away with it! He shot missiles at civilians in Israel during the Gulf War. They were non combatants. Others like Miloslovec have been tried for less. We gave him a pass. You can train a dog to be vicious. But then you blame the dog for being that way? We enabled Iraq to be this way. We've appeased his behavior for years. We never even quit buying his oil. It was just done through intermediaries.

Even though he hasn't been linked to 9/11 (Yes, I know he supports terrorism. But his terrorists didn't instigate 9/11.), all of a sudden he is a danger and we're about to unleash all hell in the middle east over it?

The biggest problem I see is that once we've invaded, then we have to rebuild the dang country! Ka-ching! $$$ I am sick of seeing my tax dollars wasted as it is.

Enough. I have to stop talking about this. I do respect your opinions though.

I normally don't engage in political discussions either, but I have to respond on Russ's opinion, which I respect of course.

I think WWII is almost 60 years ago and the European soldiers who ought to be fighting against Iraq, are average 20 years old. They have no debt with the US Government.

The problem is the image that the US has in Europe. Everything has to do with profit and money. In this case oil. Many Europeans don't believe that this war, instigated by the US, is about freeing the Iraqi people. It should be.

IMHO the US has to respect the UN, even if they cant decide on what to do. But nobody has the right to invade another sovereign state. Even a state lead by a monster like Hussein.

I think when George WB didn't seize Osama, he turned on someone else. And I'm very afraid this war will be the starting point of a lot more terrorist attacs. Many muslims consider an attack on Iraq an attack on their religion.

I'm telling you, the shit is going to hit the fan... and a lot of innocent people and soldiers are going to die. This is not going to be the same "clean" war as 12 years ago.

Just my 2Kb

Amen Rich :thumbsup:

I don't really want to get into a debate over this issue in this forum

though. War is unfortunate, and should always be a last resort. Although I've never had to fight in a war, every veteran I've ever met has had this same perspective.

I will say this one thing though, with the exception of a small handful of people(I think I know 3 at this point), everyone I talk to has serious questions and concerns over the justification and wisdom of this action. If I were the lone voice urging concern, I could write it off as my being purely naive... but... So yes, I worry, and question.

So, to Jaap's question: Here are some links to the Mall incident. BTW, depending on who reports the story, the father and son were either:

1) Just casually wearing their shirts, then accosted by Mall Security

or

2) Actively annoying and engaging other shoppers, and asked to leave

I think what really happened is that a zealous Mall Security over-reacted from their experience some months prior with a larger peace demonstration in the Mall. You read for yourselves and draw your own conclusion :rolleyes:

Lawyer Arrested for Wearing Peace Shirt in Mall

Lawyer Arrested for.... another news article

BTW, bottom line though, everyone I do speak with on this issue supports our troops and country 100%, regardless of if they question our government's decision. And as Americans, not only is questioning and voicing our opinion our right, but I firmly believe that is our duty as framed by the founding fathers.

Good luck to all...

al

Jaap, Al and Rich,

I do think that this is a good place to discuss it because we all share a bond that we like Guzzi's!

It is easy to distrust our (and every other) government. However, we elect these people (at least in the US) and give them our trust to do what is right. I think that we can agree that we likely do not know all the facts invlved here no should we. We all seem to agree as well that Hussein is an oppressive dictator. Will there be retaliation from the terrorists? Maybe, but at what point do you take the initiative to dismantle their organization once and for all. Would you rather wait to see if Hussein can export the gas or nuclear weapons to terrorists for use! Seize the opportunity now. It is somewhat analogous to preventive maintenance on a bike. Fluid change and valve adjustment now vs. rebuild later.

Jaap, to address your issue of the european soldiers not owing the US anything, you are right! The US has only asked the UN not to block the second resolution. Their participation in the upcoming battle was not required. As far as the UN is concerned, sorry but I think that it is just a political forum for people like Cherac to gain influence. It is extremely innefective when dealing with conflicting interests as we have here.

Will there be more terrorist acts? Hopefully not. Do Muslims hate America? Yes, but they will no matter what is done here because there access to what is really happening in the world is hidden from them.

I believe that when this is done, the people in Iraq will appreciate the fact that they will be able to live in relative freedom and the truth will come out. As to your comment that many muslims consider an attack on Iraq an attack on them, I can tell you that many muslims have told us privately that they want Heussein gone. He is as reviled by other Muslim nations as he is the west. The true Muslims do not preach what the radical element has; namely the terrorism and hate. Unfortunately it is the radical, violent wing of the faith that has hijacked the religion.

You may not like George in Europe. Keep in mind that the European press may not be presenting the issue in an even handed way. I guess we will all see if this course of action is the correct one. We all would like to see the same result; no terrorism, no Heussein and a peaceful coexistence for everyone. Only time will tell if George was right. I believe that he is.

BTW, I also believe the issue in the mall was an isolated incident by a moron Security person and was blown way out of proportion by the press looking to sensationalize it.