Guzzi quality control?

Guest Hank Blackstock

Guest IanJ

Sounds like we need to come up with a list of things that go wrong, and how to prevent them (when possible). Then everyone on the board can use the list to check over their bike and prevent upcoming failures.

For instance:

* Locktite the following bolts: valve covers, shift lever, engine mount, timing cover

* Order and carry a spare gearbox return spring

* Check timing chain sprocket nut for torque (what's the correct value?)

...And so on.

Guest Jean-Paul

Ian,Thats a good idea but you shouldn't have to be doing this with a new machine. Putting some pressure on the importer/manufacturer to effect improvement should be the first option.

J-P

Guest JohnInNH

:o I thought ALL Motorcycles had bits vibrate off, and were the reason Locktite was sold at the bike shop. Unless you safety wire em what do you expect? :huh:

I guess having 2 Harleys and a 500 cc Triumph "Trophy" helped me understand vibration and its effects. ;)

Guest IanJ

I agree completely.

However, seeing as how there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of bikes that have already been produced and are well beyond such remedies (unless we can convince MG to issue a recall, which seems highly unlikely), taking action on our own behalf only benefits us.

By all means, let's pester Moto Guzzi until they can't take any more. But, if I can have a list in my hand that makes it safer for me to ride my motorcycle, I'm going to use it. And if I have to make it, I will. And if I can hand it out to others, so they can make their bikes safer without having to wait for MG to perform the glacially slow corporate thought process, I'll do that too.

I think everyone who's had quality control problems should write a letter to MG in their country, stating what's happened. List your bike, its serial number, where you got it from, how many miles it has, how you ride it, and what's gone wrong. Tell them in no uncertain terms that their quality control problems have lead to your difficulties, and if you think it could have caused a safety problem, say so! MG can't afford to ignore customers who bring up QC-related safety complaints, because that can turn into a class-action lawsuit faster than manufacturers like. Here's their postal address, from the MG-US website:

Moto Guzzi North America, Inc

109 Smoke Hill Lane, Suite 190

Woodstock, GA 30188

678-238-0902

678-238-0904 Fax

I haven't been able to find MG's Italian mailing address, but I'll post it when I do. If everyone with this kind of problem wrote in to MG-US or their local MG headquarters, there's no way they could ignore the problem.

In the mean time, who wants to contribute to a QC checklist? B)

The factory Shop Manual and also the Owners Manual specifies nuts and bolts inspection and tightening every 10,000 km as well as after first 1,000 km and before delivery.

I do not think there is too many dealers who would ever bother themselves doing it, and I do not think that this is even one of their biggest shortcomings.

Therefore all my cars and motorcycles are never touched by any "technician" - I want them to be reliable and well maintained. The warranty is always worthless for me unless some part is really defective which does not happen too often. Sure, the initial familiarization with every new machine takes some time and effort, the manuals also cost money. But in a long run I do avoid all the aggravation, waisted time at the dealers and also save money, a lot.

Of course an internal failure like Hank Blackstock experienced is a different matter. But nowadays things like that, although very unfortunate indeed, do not happen with any manufacturer too often.

Guest Scura Owner

Before I picked up my bike, which I order several months earlier, I engaged in several rounds of back and forth with the dealer and MGNA. I was very satisified with my dealer efforts but understood he was not getting the required support from MGNA. I wrote several letters (e-mail) to him documenting a number of issues concerning quality control/marketing/customery satifaction and include constructive criticism. I refused delivery until several items were fixed. (BTW, I have been waiting since March for several replacement items). The letters were forwarded to MGNA. After no response by MGNA, I wrote directly to the President of MGNA and cc'ed my dealer. I finally got a response from MGNA that MGNA does not deal directly with customers and must go through my dealer concerning all issues. So much for thinking I mattered/they cared.

That's discouraging. It's still good that you copied MGNA, though, because even if they claim not to deal with customers, someone there now knows the trouble you've had.

Janusz, as far as shop manuals and doing it all myself, that's the plan. :) I'll be getting a shop manual as soon as I've got the bike, although I really like the techs at Moto International, and will probably take warranty-type problems to them. Regular maintenance, however, will be done at home. How else would I get to know the motorcycle? :D

Guest v11eric

Janusz,

I think youre absolutly right. The first sport for me on a new Guzzi is finding those loose bolts and nuts, on my 01 v11 lemans i didn't find any. Our bikes are manely hand build, sorry for you Hank, it should not have happened but I think it's bad luck, a one off. On Oliver's bike I don't know what has happened ( Do you Oliver?) but I don't think it matters al the bike's.

For me the Guzzi is still a very reliable motor got all the trust in it!! :rolleyes::wub:

A happy driver

Eric

01 V11 Lemans

From my many year's experience with car and bike dealers comes clear realization that you are much better off dealing with warranty issues yourself also. It might sound silly at first, but most warranty issues are just a matter of some adjustment or simple correction which, if you have confidence (which you will after some time) is easy, simple and timewise beneficial to deal with.

Of course a major expense, like non functioning radio for example, you do take to the dealer. If you have enough rapport with them they will give you the new part, let do the work for them and accept the defective one. Believe me, they know how to screw up a simple thing like even radio r/r perfectly.

When I bought a new VW TDI recently it came with a dealers free services during first two years. Even then my friendly dealer gladly agreed to give me all the filters,oils etc., stamped my warranty book and still remained friends. This way I KNOW my car is in perfect shape and will stay that way. It is easy to set up a win-win situation with everybody if you try with an open mind.

My conviction is that all these "technicians" are just walking time bombs and chances are bigger then not everytime they touch your property they will screw something up. Even worse still - you have no way of knowing what it might be this time until a small invisible thing becomes a major problem in time.

Stay away from them as much as you can. :D

Guest JohnInNH

Janusz,

I have an 02 TDI (Golf) same color as the LeMans B)

Have you UPSoluted (chipped) yours yet? UPSolute

I still need to disconnect a few hoses and reroute em on the TDI. I don't need my crank case venting into my intercooler :o

It's a go fast car... Loves the highway, just like the Le Mans! They both love 85-90 MPH

:ph34r:

My TDI is the same color as V11S too - black!

I did an Upsolute over a year ago; I also have bigger injectors and tranny is an auto - absolutely the fastest combination. The TDIClub on the net is great, by the way.

You,ve got to disconnect CCV right away if you want the intake and intercooler free of goo.

So, I'm making up a list of QC items to check on new Le Mans models, and I wanted to get your guys' feedback on what I've got so far. Here's the list:

Parts to check

I don't have my Le Mans yet (should be ready today, tomorrow or Saturday), so I'm missing the specific information on how things go together. I'd appreciate any feedback on how to improve the list, including new items, corrections, torque values, etc. Please reply here, or to my email address, reaper at speakeasy dot org.

Good list Ian, there sure are a lot of common problems. Good thing there is a solution for almost everything. Timing bolts falling off is pretty messed up! If you don't mind I would like to steal some your data from that page to use on my slooowly evolving website http://www.scripps.edu/~dlaing/v11s/

I checked out your pictures of uncrating your Le Mans.

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/bmw-bike/

It was great to experience through your photos what I had missed with my bike.

Absolutely! Steal away. ;) The purpose of my making that list is so people can use it -- if it ends up on more websites where more people can see it, that's great. If you end up selling it, please at least let me know, so I don't get surprised by it like I did when I found myself staring a picture of me in an ad for some web magazine I'd never heard of...

Glad you liked the pictures. That's my goal with my web stuff, is to put up info that isn't already out there (that I know of), and that someone might find useful.

Anyway, I'm also looking for comments on what should be added to that list, and also what needs to be corrected.