Show us yer Tontis!

Baldini

I just picked up a 1989 LeMans 1000. It's a well-loved rider with extensive upgrades... full Zard exhaust, Caruso timing gears, electronic ignition, seriously upgraded suspension, etc. It was previously owned by a local guy who is an excellent rider. I've chased this bike on my Scura and had a hard time keeping him in sight. Just took my first short ride and loved it. Though I must say... there is a big difference between 1989s LeMans 5 speed tranny with manual clutch and 2000's 6 speed with hydraulic. 

IMG_1427.jpeg

• Like 10

Chuck, you might know this bike. It belonged to a Wildguzzi member, Groundhog. This particular LeMans is surprisingly nimble. He got the suspension tuned perfectly and I weigh about the same as him... so it really is a "hand-in-glove" fit for me. Come ride it next time you are in Southern California.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, footgoose said:

Very nice. Can't wait for the long (and short) term report.

Blasphemy alert... I am going to share some more first impressions.

It feels in some ways like my old BMW K75S.  And I mean the good parts of my K75S (which had upgraded suspension). Let me just preface by saying that the comparison stops at the engine, which is like comparing a gorilla to a sewing machine. But check this out:

In 1989, you could buy a BMW K75S or a Moto Guzzi Lemans 1000 at your local dealer. The overall shape of the frame-mounted fairing and seat are remarkably similar. Both have metal tanks that hold close to 6 gallons. The front tires are exactly the same size (100/90-18), and the rear tires are close (The LeMans rear is 120/90-18 compared to 130/90-17 on the brick). Both are shaft drive through 5 speed transmissions. Same Brembo 2-pot calipers on both bikes. The BMW was 30 pounds heavier, but carried its weight lower. 

Now the engines... in stock form:

K75S - 75HP @7500 and 50 ft/lb at 6750

LeMans - 81HP @7400 and 56 lb/ft at 7250 (that's stock, this bike has a bit more.

Obviously the LeMans is far superior in the intangibles of engine feel and sound and just plain fun factor. But I was really surprised at how much it felt like the little brick in the corners.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Scud said:

Chuck, you might know this bike. It belonged to a Wildguzzi member, Groundhog. This particular LeMans is surprisingly nimble. He got the suspension tuned perfectly and I weigh about the same as him... so it really is a "hand-in-glove" fit for me. Come ride it next time you are in Southern California.

Thanks for that, Scud. If we *ever* manage to get back to SoCal.. :(

Actually, I'm familiar with them. I saved a 5000 mile (!!) one of 17 black Ultimate Editions from a clueless dealer in Chicago. WGs Rocker 59 told me about it, and said it was his dream bike but he didn't have the money. It was cheap for what it was, but the above clueless dealer didn't know until I had a deal over the phone. By the time I got there, the Guzzi world had blown up, and his phone was ringing off the hook. :o  He said, "What *is* that??" (and tried to rip me off, but that's another story.)

I went through it, fixed the slipping clutch from CD's clueless "mechanic" grossly overfilling the transmission, etc.

It was truly a museum piece and I hated to ride it. Rocker saved his money, and I sold it to him for exactly what I had in it. I thought he'd keep it forever, but shortly thereafter he sold it to DRS Dave in Wisconsin. :huh2: Dave still has it, and probably *will* keep it forever.

• Like 2

That looks great. It's a real period piece. You need some 80s style leathers with geometric patterns for full effect. It's nice to see one that's still original. So many have been 'restyled' as home made cafe racers, there can't be many left like yours. I had a Le Mans III in the 90s. When I got the V11 I was surprised how different the power delivery was. The MK III seemed more 'flexible', delivering 'go' across the rev range, with gear selection less critical. By comparison, the VII has to be revved and requires more rider input.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chuck said:

Thanks for that, Scud. If we *ever* manage to get back to SoCal.. :(

Actually, I'm familiar with them. I saved a 5000 mile (!!) one of 17 black Ultimate Editions from a clueless dealer in Chicago. WGs Rocker 59 told me about it, and said it was his dream bike but he didn't have the money. It was cheap for what it was, but the above clueless dealer didn't know until I had a deal over the phone. By the time I got there, the Guzzi world had blown up, and his phone was ringing off the hook. :o  He said, "What *is* that??" (and tried to rip me off, but that's another story.)

I went through it, fixed the slipping clutch from CD's clueless "mechanic" grossly overfilling the transmission, etc.

It was truly a museum piece and I hated to ride it. Rocker saved his money, and I sold it to him for exactly what I had in it. I thought he'd keep it forever, but shortly thereafter he sold it to DRS Dave in Wisconsin. :huh2: Dave still has it, and probably *will* keep it forever.

Rocker met me on that bike,  it was gorgeous.   It had paint mile deep black.  Rocker could corner it better that I could on my Bandit.    Glad you kept track of it Chuck.

46 minutes ago, Paradiso said:

That looks great. It's a real period piece. You need some 80s style leathers with geometric patterns for full effect. It's nice to see one that's still original. So many have been 'restyled' as home made cafe racers, there can't be many left like yours. I had a Le Mans III in the 90s. When I got the V11 I was surprised how different the power delivery was. The MK III seemed more 'flexible', delivering 'go' across the rev range, with gear selection less critical. By comparison, the VII has to be revved and requires more rider input.

I've got a set of plain black perforated Vanson Leathers that suit this bike (and my Scura). But it might be time to put some vintage Moto Guzzi eagle patches on them. Maybe I could find a big reflective one for the back.

• Haha 1

Well, that is a fitting photo from the San Diego "not a rally" at Lake Henshaw, which the previous owner of my Tonti-framed LeMans helped to organize. I don't recall who the other rider is, but he managed to get a Moto Guzzi patch on his leathers.

And FWIW, yesterday I flushed the brake system since the rear had almost no pressure. Those linked brakes work really well. The brake pedal activates rear caliper and front left caliper. The hand lever only activates the front right caliper. I didn't think I would like the linked brakes, but I do.

• Like 2

I didn't think I would like the linked brakes, but I do.

Me, too. They work remarkably well in the twisties..

I *loved* that day riding. :thumbsup: The "sporty" ride that took most of the day, then when we returned, four (I think) rode Palomar. Awesome..:grin:

• Like 1

The linked brakes work well on my EV.  I was skeptical of the whole set up but it only took a ride for me to like the way it all worked, even the floorboards and "nub".  It just feels right for what it is.

• 1 month later...

After a little time and work, Bobby D’s 850T3 is cleaned-up and running. 

I flushed everything out and got new gas and oil into her, cleaned up the plugs, charged the battery, and fired her up. I had Mark give her a good look over and dial in the carbs, and she runs pretty good.

What a different animal from the V11. What a difference 23 years makes! (1978-2001) Nonetheless, this bike is very fun to ride, although we’re still getting to know each other. The clutch is real grabby, but the 5 speed tranny shifts crisply, but neutral is a little elusive, and the faint dash light doesn’t help. I wonder if Bob had Sean F do any work on the tranny, cause it sure feels tight. This bike is a testimony to the the rider and the bike. Bob put 178,000 miles on this bike, but he was constantly advancing it and keeping up on its needs.....up grades to the carbs, the ignition, the brakes,....he took good care of this Guzzi and at close to 200k this bike still performs and is a great ride.

*Glenn Morgan has taken the money raised from the sales of Bob Dickman’s bikes and has created the GuzziBob Rally Fund to help fund rallies. I believe more info on this can be found through MGNOC. 
I thought it would be fun to ride this to the upcoming Susanville rally as people there no doubt knew Bob and this bike. It’s kind of a long shot for me, but we’ll see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2