Guzzi Vocabulary

Guest Scura Owner

Guest Scura Owner

I learned a new vocabulary word yesterday curtosy of MG. I had my bike in for service to correct what I considered a warranty issue. My Scura was experiencing oil weep at the timing chain cover, back of the transmission and around timing sensor. I previously retorqued the bolts around the timing chain cover which stemmed the flow. A few of the accessible bolts were not even finger tight. However to get to the top bolts requires removing the engine mount (beyond of my sense of committment). I made the service appointment to correct the rest. Once at the shop (100 miles away) I was told that my problem was discussed with a visiting MG engineer and a MGNA representative. The official MG position is that my bike is experiencing shadowing not weeping. Unless there is actual drops of oil leaking it is not a leak. Therefore, it not considered a problem. Oil shadowing is acceptable to MG. I have only MG to credit for correcting my vocabulary shortcomings.

...........ahhh, "shadowing".... yessss, "shadowing"..... :huh:

Now see, that upsets me. My timing-cover "shadowed" for a couple weeks before "exploding" in a torrent of oil <_>

I do NOT consider it normal or acceptable for any of the bolts to be "finger loose/tight" and oil to weep. The engine design may be old, but technology, especially gasket and oil technology ,have come a long way over the last decades. Come on Guzzi, do you think we are idiots??

MG needs to get their act together here, and hopefully Aprilia can help in that regard. First let's get the parts situation, at least here in the USA, sorted out... then get to reliability and serviceability issues like this.

It's not rocket science to keep oil in a relatively low-tech engine like this one. geez.....

al

....whose LeMans "shadows" in the aforementioned places as well

:unsure:

Guest Scura Owner

I have developed a theory that the black engine paint was adopted for use by MG to act as sponge and absorb oil. That way there is no formation of oil drops (i.e., a leak) and become a warranty issue.