CALIFORNIA VINTAGE

Technical Specifications

ENGINE 

Type : 90° V-Twin, 4 stroke

Cooling system : Air cooled

Displacement : 1,064 cc

Bore and stroke : 92 x 80 mm

Compression ratio : 9.8 : 1

Timing system : 2  overhead valves moved by light alloy push–rod sand rocker arm with hydraulic tappets

Valve timing : Intake open 96° B.T.D.C.

Intake close 128° A.B.D.C.

Exhaust open 120° B.B.D.C.

Exhaust close 92° A.T.D.C.

Maximum power : 55 kW at 6,400 rpm

Maximum torque : 94 Nm at 5,000 rpm

Fuel system : Magneti Marelli IAW alfa-n system Multipoint phased sequential fuel; 2 nozzle holders of 40 mm with injectors Weber IW 031

Starting system : electric

Ignition : Magneti Marelli IAW 15RC electronic digital ignition with inductive spark

Exhaust system : steel, 2 tubes connected to an expansion room, that is connected to 2 steel mufflers; three-way catalyzer with Lambda sensor (Euro 3)

Homologation  Euro 3

TRANSMISSION 

Gearbox : 5 speed, costant mesh gears with built-in cush drive

Internal ratios : 1° 14/28 = 1:2

: 2° 18/25 = 1:1.389

: 3° 21/22 = 1:1.048

: 4° 23/20 = 1:0.870

: 5° 28/21 = 1:0.750

Lubrication : forced lobes, with geared pump and pressure regulator

Primari drive : by helical gears, ratio 17/21 = 1: 1.235

Secondary drive : shaft drive, ratio 8/33 = 1:4.125

Clutch : dual disc dry with mechanical control

CHASSIS 

Frame : detachable tubular duplex cradle in special high-strengh steel

Wheelbase : 1,560 mm

Trail : 116 mm

Rake : 29°

Front suspension : Marzocchi hydraulic telescopic fork, Ø 45 mm, adjustable separately

Front whell travel : 140 mm

Rear suspension : swing arm with 2 hydraulic shock absorbers, exstension adjustable

Rear wheel travel : 96 mm

Breaking system : Integral breaking system, with proportioning and delay valve

Front brake : double Brembo Serie Oro stainless steel floating disc, Ø 320 mm, 4 piston calipers

Rear brake : single Brembo stainless steel floating disc, Ø 282 mm, 2 piston calipers

Wheels : Behr spoked steel rims

Front rim : 2.50” x 18”

Rear rim : 3.50” x 17”

Front tyre : 110/90 VB 18”

Rear tyre : 140/70 VB 17”

ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT 

Voltage : 12 V

Battery : 12 V – 30 Ah

Alternator : 12 V – 350 W

DIMENSIONS 

Length : 2,380 mm

Width : 815 mm

Height : 1,390 mm

Seat height : 780 mm

Ground clearance : 190 mm

Handlebar height : 1,050 mm

Front footrest height : 326 mm

Rear footrest height : 385 mm

Dry weight : 263 kg

Fuel tank capacity : 19 litre

Reserve : 4 litre

Technical specifications of California Vintage may change without notice.

• 13 years later...

An old topic, but "new" for me as I wasn't following the new models for a while there.

Really like this last hurrah for the V11 California models, simple and mature quality technology, and classic good looks.  I think if I were to get a cruiser, the black California Vintage would be the bike I'd get.  

2008-moto-guzzi-californi-1_800x0w.jpg

2008-moto-guzzi-californi-2_800x0w.jpg

2008-moto-guzzi-californi-4_800x0w.jpg

• Like 1

well, here's the deal about an EV vs a CalVin. 

The EV has tubeless tires, has more legroom and seems to handle better.  The CalVin has the 1100 Breva engine with a little more power, and shifts a little better. 

well, here's the deal about an EV vs a CalVin. 

The EV has tubeless tires, has more legroom and seems to handle better.  The CalVin has the 1100 Breva engine with a little more power, and shifts a little better. 

Hrmm, not to be argumentative, but are you sure about that?

I agree about the tubeless tires, but I thought the California Vintage is the same frame (platform) as the other V11 based California bikes, including the EV, so how could there be more legroom and handle better?  The California Vintage was the last hurrah of the V11 California bikes.

Also, regarding the engine, the engine in the Breva 1100 looks notably different than the engine in the California Vintage, with the Breva having valve covers like the Griso and a different alternator cover.  Now those are just bolt-on covers, but the same parts on the California Vintage are identical to the V11 engines on the other California models like the EV.  I didn't recall reading anything about the California Vintage having any better engine performance than the other V11 California bikes.

If so, it would be great to see some documentation on how the California Vintage incorporated components from later bikes and platforms.

It's a pretty cool bike.  I like it better every time I check it out, especially in black with that skunk stripe seat.

....and it's amazing how much ground clearance all those V11 California based bikes had, especially with the current fads of very low cruisers.  The V11 California bikes look a lot more sporty, and definitely European.  

.......aaaaand it's interesting how often it is said in reviews how the V11 California bikes are "small" or "medium" sized cruisers, but clearly from the photo above they are full size bikes, albeit smaller than the big baggers and even Moto Guzzi's current crop of cruisers.  But I think these look more sporting.

Al- The seat is lower on the Calvin.  That accounts for the leg room.  I don't know why the handling felt different.

I am going by memory since I rode the Calvin back to back with my EV when the Calvin was new, like 10 years ago.  If memory serves, it has the same engine as the Breva.  Perhaps it felt faster due to better maps?

So far as handling, the California bikes handle much better than any cruiser and most standards of it's day.  Great ground clearance, balanced, braking, etc.  It's really rider's bike, like all Guzzis.  It's a cruiser in appearance only IMO.  And the differences I note between the Calvin and my EV are very slight.  It could just be a normal variance.  I recently stored another bike identical to my EV (same year and color) and that one seemed a little faster than mine too.

Meanwhile I am an owner of a Vintage - Funny I have started a thread here in 2005 :grin:.

And yes, it is a Breva 1100 enginge (w. dual ignition - the last 2 valve engine and the last Tonti Guzzi)

Differences to the Breava Engine:

- Valve Covers

- Oilpan

- Less HP, more Torque

• Like 2

Here is some info:

http://www.motoguzzicalifornia.com/

http://guzzista.wikifoundry.com/page/California+Vintage+User+Review

https://danilogurovich.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/moto-guzzi-california-vintage-review-day-1-cant-get-off-the-bikethei/

http://www.motoguzzicaliforniaclub.ch/diecalifornia/vintage/vintagedata.htm

(Note: The photos of the "skunk" version show a pre-production bike, the fog lamps and the bags are a bit different. The taillight on these photos looks a lot better than in reality. I think it was made of metal, a part was polished and the rest was painted.)

• Like 1

I bought mine (built in 2006, one of the early ones) in September last year and rode it approx. 200 km. Even it was not perfect it was fun to ride. This winter I am fixing a lot of things.

Sometimes I make a video (or slideshow) and show it on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3U2TKTfHX8amjJuLr8yBtUxXUeO6duTT

(together with my favoritte CalVin videos I have found on YT)

• Like 1

I bought mine (built in 2006, one of the early ones) in September last year and rode it approx. 200 km. Even it was not perfect it was fun to ride. This winter I am fixing a lot of things.

Sometimes I make a video (or slideshow) and show it on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3U2TKTfHX8amjJuLr8yBtUxXUeO6duTT

(together with my favoritte CalVin videos I have found on YT)

That's a great resource you have started with your collection of CalVin videos.  That will be very helpful for any other current or potential owners  :thumbsup:

The only three minor things I don't care for on the CalVin are:

1)  MG changed the mounting of the driving lights from a nice chrome bar in the pre-production promotional photos to "L" brackets in production.  A very minor issue, and I'm sure one no longer even notices after a while.  And if it does drive you nuts, there apparently is an aftermarket version that uses the chrome bar.

2)  I like the concept of the large simple vintage rear tail light, but not the execution.  Similar to the pre-production driving light bar, the promotional photos show a slightly nicer rear light with a nickel/chrome ring around its circumference, but that bright trim is absent in production.  And in some earlier models I've read that the mounting bracket cracks.

Fortunately this has been covered in-depth here:

http://www.motoguzzicalifornia.com/2011/07/replace-tail-light/

3)  This isn't unique to the California Vintage, and is shared across all the V11 California models; and that is the plastic frame/wiring cover in front of the fuel tank that covers the junction of the frame at the steering head and associated wiring.  I'm sure this just fades away into obscurity once one owns the bike for a while, but for all the V11 California models I wish MG had come up with a slightly more classy treatment for this area.  Perhaps someone aftermarket has?  I have no idea.  

...none of these would be deal-breakers though  B)

Great looking and sounding bike:

Here are some of my observations and some info.

- The earlys models had a recall because of the fuel line falling of the (internal) fuel pump. The 1100 Griso from that era had the same problem.

- The rear light bracket was changed because the first ones broke, maybe there was a recall or MG/Piaggio took over the costs. The newer one is robust.

- The driving lights are fog lights, therefore their position is deeper and the (stainless steel!) L-holders make much more sense. What you see on the promo photos is manufactured by Hepco & Becker ("Twinlight-Set") but the position is higher and these are only available as high-beam headlights. I prefer the Guzzi solution.

- My first thought was also to change the taillight because it is huge and made of plastic, but now I have changed my mind. I think it will look good when coated in glossy black. This taillight fits to the flasher and its effectiveness is very good. It has an internal reflector and two bulbs - 5W for the licence plate and 5/21W for the back/brake.

- The frame covers at the steering head are made of metal. You could also buy chrome-plated ones (GU03472400/GU03472900 - these were used on the white Vintage) but I personally do not like this.

- The windshields of the early models tend to get cracks, because the two outer screws holding the "glass" were not mounted in rubber.

- The valve covers and the alternator cover of early models were made of polished aluminium (which I prefer), later models models seem to have chrome-plated covers.

- Later models have better pannier hinges and a better steering damper.

- On my Vintage the front fender was not mounted correctly. The struts for the front side (shorter) and the bottom side (just a bit longer) were interchanged with the result that the fender was almost ground right through!

- The whole exhaust system ist made of stainless steel! The headers and the silencers are just chrome-pated for the looks.

• Like 1