Erin Rally

grossohc

Bring your midgie cream,the little buggers were biting last year!

You can get collabsible one man tents and sleeping bags that'll fit easily into a rucksack.

John O'Sullivan has one that's positively palatial-en suite bathroom and everything.

77367[/snapback]

Thankyou BigJ, gives me the oportunity to post this picture again

Smallest_tent.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just booked the ferry for Erin- if anyone is interested you can get a discount when booking online via MCN- £68 return for fast ferry Fishguard to Rosslare return.

75837[/snapback]

Take care with the ferry 'discounts' chaps.

From this side of the water, I have always found it to be a swiz. It could be just a cunning plan to keep undesirables out of lovely Britain I suppose. From here, any time that I have tried to book cheaper ferry travel through these offers, it has actually been MORE EXPENSIVE. I have sought explanation, a number of times, from the ferry company and from the bike magazines that carry the big adverts. Each time I have been told that they will investigate and get back to me – but they never have. Here is an example from a previous query:

re suspect motorbike ferry travel discount

I wonder is there any further info on this? I see that the Belfast - Stranraer discount is still being heavily advertised in various bike magazines. I have been prompted to enquire again by the full page advert in Bike magazine that arrived through my door today. I expect it will also be in MCN as usual.

I have tried once again to get the discount online by entering an offer number.

Bizarrely, I am quoted a HIGHER PRICE than the normal price every time: £82 with the offer compared to a normal booking price of £72. I have tried a couple of different bike magazine offer numbers, but that doesn't make any difference. It has always been expensive to get across the small stretch of water between N.I. and Scotland (& England, Wales). Any discount would be welcome and an incentive to travel. An offer of a surcharge isn't much use!

(When I get the breakdown of prices, the first line says '5Day Return Fare by car, although 'motorbike is entered as the vehicle type. However I don't know what to make of this as when I request a 'car' price, it is indeed substantially higher.)

It seems there is still something wrong with this system – or with the 'offer'.

Below is information copied off the web booking site.

Normal Price, without 'offer': £72

Price

5 Day Return F... £67.50

Fuel Surcharge £5.00

Total calculate... £72.50

Deposit fee £0.00

Amount previo... £0.00

Amount remain... £72.50

Magazine discount offer, when 'motorcycle' is selected in 'vehicle' type drop-down: £82!

5 Day Return Fare by car £110.00

Bike Magazine Offer -£33.00

Fuel Surcharge £5.00

Total calculated price £82.00

Deposit fee £0.00

Amount previously paid £0.00

Amount remaining £82.00

Price

5 Day Return Fare by car £110.00

Motorcycle News -£33.00

Fuel Surcharge £5.00

Total calculated price £82.00

Deposit fee £0.00

Amount remaining £82.00

Price when 'car' is selected in 'vehicle' type drop-down: £184

Price

5 Day Return Fare by car £179.00

Motorcycle News £0.00

Fuel Surcharge £5.00

Total calculated price £184.00

Deposit fee £0.00

Amount remaining £184.00

Well, I had planned on riding Norway this June but seeing as some of you have mentioned going to Norway next year...maybe I should put it off and join the lot of you in Ireland this year and trying to arrange to ride Norway with you next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Duffo

You always were an old softy, Guy, having said that, Jim and myself have got cabins on the Swansea/Cork ferry. This gives an extra day in Ireland, can't be bad,

Cheers, Gerry. :bike:

Swansea to Cork in cabins?? You Southampton Breva boys are dead posh with your QE2 style cruises.

Will your butlers be erecting your tents for you?

Have you asked the Irish publicans to get a few hundred extra barrels of the black stuff in now that both the Solent and Pennine branches are going?

Look forward to drinking a few pints with you, Gerry.

Guy :bier:

So Erin is another name for ireland :o:o got my tent , got my sleeping bag and mat and my ticket to get in to the rally . Sorted :drink: have i forgot any thing :homer:

So Erin is another name for ireland :o  :o got my tent , got my sleeping bag and mat and my ticket to get in to the rally . Sorted :drink: have i forgot any thing  :homer:

81529[/snapback]

Your campfire songbook. And a cricket bat.

Don't you listen to fine Scotish Folk Singers?

Erin go bragh hoots mon the noo

have i forgot any thing  :homer:

81529[/snapback]

oh yeah, another thing –

a present for John O'Sullivan, 'cos he owns Co. Kerry (and half of Cork).

• 5 weeks later...
: have i forgot any thing  :homer:

81529[/snapback]

Yeah i forgot my ferry ticket, just booked it £72 (larne to cairnryan). Hope the bloody weather has improved by then got caught in the snow yesterday. :race:

Guest PAULSMART

Just checking ferries now.....

What Ferry company / route / agent are we talking for approx £70????

I've looked at:

Stenna ferries, Rossalre fast service 11.30 of 9 June, returing fast ferry 15.00 on Sunday.

Price £93.59, I get a tenner off choosing the 'slow' ferry, but I like the above times. I might consider a 'slow' on Thursady, but its not ideal.

Cheers,

Paul Smart

Just checking ferries now.....

What Ferry company / route / agent are we talking for approx £70????

I've looked at:

Stenna ferries, Rossalre fast service 11.30 of 9 June, returing fast ferry 15.00 on Sunday.

Price £93.59, I get a tenner off choosing the 'slow' ferry, but I like the above times. I might consider a 'slow' on Thursady, but its not ideal.

Cheers,

Paul Smart

85749[/snapback]

It is Stena that did my booking for £68.50 for that exact crossing. To get the discount you need to go to the MCN website and follow the link through there.

Guy :helmet:

Just checked MCN website- the offer has disappeared. You can probably get the same discount if you are a member of MAG or through one of the mainstream magazines like Bike.