Tunedit - Tuneboy

luhbo

Some days ago I posted some words about TuneBoy in the ECU thread, I think as an answer to one of Dave's posts.

I thought it would make more sense now to start a new thread instead of overblow this ECU longrunner.

I had ordered a cable and it has arrived at my house exactly after 10 days, having passed one or two ponds and at last the german customs. Quality is good, no lowtech clips and things. Price should be known here or look at TuneBoy . There is actually no info about the Guzzi version there, but you will get it from Wayne McDonald.

The software is plug and play. I installed it on a Win98 laptop, connected the cable to battery and Titanium-ECU, did what the proggy told me and all went like it should. So no problems to report so far.

Development is still ongoing, so actually I had to send the ecu dump to Tuneboy to become converted in a usable map. I will report how it looks when I have it back. In the meantime I can play around with a genuine V11 MY 200X map. So far it's just fun!

Hubert

I thought it would make more sense now to start a new thread instead of overblow this ECU longrunner.

67462[/snapback]

Excellent idea!

With luck we can keep the focus on the excellent product.

There is no diagnostic software, yet.

Here are the current features:

It has 3D graphing capabilities, so you can graph the maps.

The available tables are:

the base fuel map,

the offset map(whatever that is),

the ignition map(Yah baby!),

a start enrich map(whatever that is),

an accell enrich map(whatever that is),

idle ignition(whatever that is),

air temperature trim,

engine temperature trim,

and barometric trim.

The documentation could be improved as I only have the Aprillia documentation.

I still have to figure out the above features suffixed with (whatever that is),

and how to Apply the PCIII map.

Also, the sofware shows:

RPM,

TP,

injector pulse width,

ignition adv,

and O2 voltage.

If you want to read my error filled posts in the ECU thread, with some screenshots of some maps, go here, to page 26 of the ECU thread.

This morning the converted map was already in my inbox. I now have at least two maps at hand that I can compare. TuneEdit allows to export the maps in Excel format, so it's no problem to compare different maps this way.

Pix as soon as they're ready.

Hubert

Also, the sofware shows:

RPM,

TP,

injector pulse width,

ignition adv,

and O2 voltage.

67541[/snapback]

O2 voltage? Do our North American market W15Ms have an input to read an O2 signal?

Can you get a datalog from the ECU using your Tuneboy cable (hooked up to a laptop)?

O2 voltage?  Do our North American market W15Ms have an input to read an O2 signal?

Can you get a datalog from the ECU using your Tuneboy cable (hooked up to a laptop)?

67578[/snapback]

There are V11 with O2 sensor, so there should be a channel for this.

I know that the WM15 delivers this data, and I hope that these can be read and stored sometimes with Tuneboy, but who knows.

Hubert

With luck we can keep the focus on the excellent product.

David, now before you get caught in your own landslide... you told me in person that the software has been very glitchy, and you had yet to hear back from any one there for support. So has this all changed?

Having control of all of that data might be good, but, really... what are *you* going to do with it, aside from taking stabs and thinking you are "improving" your bike. I've seen this on the dyno now a few hundred times, and can atest that most people are only making it worse.

If you want to spend hours on the dyno, there are tons of ways out there currently to do this. Buy the FIM software and spend days on the dyno for a reflash. Timing issues, only to eliminate pinging will take you a solid hour or so with someone who really knows what the hell they're doing.

When I did some initial research with timing at Dynojet, there was basically no gains to be had with ignition, unless you have bumped the compression significantly, or added something such as a turbo.

That being said, hopefully next week I'll be able to *finally* offer a timing module for the PCIIIusb to eliminate the "ping" issue on V11S motors.

This isn't meant as a bash, just stating some simple facts.

My $.02 as always.

That being said, hopefully next week I'll be able to *finally* offer a timing module for the PCIIIusb to eliminate the "ping" issue on V11S motors.

67600[/snapback]

don't be teasing me like this....outstanding!

The available tables are:

the base fuel map,

the offset map(whatever that is),

the ignition map(Yah baby!),

a start enrich map(whatever that is),

an accell enrich map(whatever that is),

idle ignition(whatever that is),

air temperature trim,

engine temperature trim,

and barometric trim.

I still have to figure out the above features suffixed with (whatever that is),

The offset map is obviously something that gets overlaid on the base map; whether it's for left/right (fore/aft, Aprilia) cylinder tuning or for altitude adjustment, I have no idea.

"Start enrich map" is self explanatory: the motor needs extra fuel at startup or when cold; I'm certain if you look at the numbers that they'll all be higher than the base map (or else very small #s, if the Start Enrich Map is an overlay on the base map.)

"Accell enrich map" is going to be like the virtual throttle pump in the PCIII; extra fuel for heavy rotations of the right grip for the first xx rpm.

"Idle ignition" is likely to be similar to the start enrich map in that when idling on a cold engine, the timing can be retarded to make the engine run smoother, warm up faster, etc. A warm engine doesn't need this, so the idle speed can be adjusted lower, and timing given normal advance & thereby improve mileage (esp. in cities; how much time is spent idling at stoplights? This is also important for sneaking under emissions-control barriers for certification...)

Personally, I'm curious about what all those "trims" do & how they're used...

Ride on!

:bike:

Having control of all of that data might be good, but, really... what are *you* going to do with it, aside from taking stabs and thinking you are "improving" your bike.

It was my understanding that the Tuneboy worked with the Dynalink software. Therefore you can do the usually dyno run.

hopefully next week I'll be able to *finally* offer a timing module for the PCIIIusb to eliminate the "ping" issue on V11S motors.

Excellent,

do you have any idea about in what price range it will land?

It was my understanding that the Tuneboy worked with the Dynalink software. Therefore you can do the usually dyno run.

67636[/snapback]

Yeah, but with so much space left free under the seat you'll just not have the same feeling ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I posted my  :2c:  reply in the ECU thread

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...pic=4152&st=420

...where everyone can agree to disagree.

67721[/snapback]

So what's the better deal here, Tune Boy or PCIII? Or what are the advantages and disadvantages on each.?

Well for my Sporti is available a "tunned to fit" PCIII but what about Tune boy>?

Any helpfull infos?

Thanks

:2c: I just hate the whole power commander concept. As I understand it, and feel free to put me right if I am mistaken, all the PC contains is a delay on timer and a delay off timer. To lean the mixture, the PC delays the pulse from the ECU getting to the injector (delay on). To richen the mixture it delays the off edge from the ecu getting to the injector (delay off).

This is all very well, but for the raw ECU pulses, the "on" transitions are all aligned, i.e. if you drew the pulses on each line of a piece of paper, the start of the pulses would all be aligned with the left margin. Put a PC in there and the pulse timings are moved about by the trim delays.

Also, what about the propagation delay of the PC, which can only react to events from the ECU. It can't be that insignificant.

Furthermore, you are putting in another point of failure.

I would dearly love to know how the PC ignition module is supposed to work. Given that it only REACTS to the ECU signal, it only has the prospect of retarding the ignition by delaying the pulse. Ignition is an edge triggered timing phenomenon so if the pulse is late from the ECU, how the F**K can the PC module correct it if it needs advancing??? Unless those good people at Dynojet fit your PC ignition module with a flux capacitor, enabling the pulse to travel back in time to before the moment the ECU issued it.

Just remember that the defenders of the PC III are usually those guys who sell them and pay their mortgages by them. Oh, and people who bought them with the sweat of their brow. Psychologists call that the "post purchase response" people say the shit's good because they don't want to admit they were sold a gimmick. :2c: