Registering in California out of state models

Guest western dh

Guest western dh

Hi

I'm a newbie & love this site - I have a quick question.

Are Guzzi's 50 state models? ie if I buy a new Guzzi outside of California, can I register it in California. I'm looking at a very low mileage 2000 V11Sport.

I know there's tricky registration rules here if the model is not ok for California.

Thanks

Derek

Hi

I'm a newbie & love this site - I have a quick question.

Are Guzzi's 50 state models? ie if I buy a new Guzzi outside of California, can I register it in California. I'm looking at a very low mileage 2000 V11Sport.

I know there's tricky registration rules here if the model is not ok for California. 

Thanks

Derek

68296[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure all of them are. Funny thing is, at least on V11s 2002 and newer, the rear hugger covers up the emissions compliance sticker that the California Emissions Gestapo demands to see... :homer:

all guzzi's are 50 state bikes. but, that said, you have to have the CA emission sticker or registration is difficult. If the sticker is not there on the bike (like mine was missing) you'll more than likely have to talk with mgna in georgia- give them the vin # and they will supply you/dmv with an offical letter verifying CA emissions.....

I live in CA and just this last year bought a used bike from Washington. If your bike has over 7,500 miles on the odometer you do not need the emisson sticker and it's a simple matter of going through the registration process (take the bike to DMV and letting them verify VIN numbers, filling out the forms, etc.).

Good luck,

Gil

• 2 months later...
Guest western dh

Well it took a while, but I finally have my beautiful 2000 V11 sport legally registered in California, having shipped it from Floria.

To answer the earlier post, the 2000 model also has the emissions sticker under the hugger on the right swing arm. Turned out the DMV paid no attention at all to the emissions issue!

If you see a brand new green V11 sport tooling around Santa Monica mountains with the pilot wearing a huge grin....that's me! Just need the transmission recall work done, then need to ponder whether I go with the matching magni fairing / bar end mirrors or not?

Cheers

Derek

Well it took a while, but I finally have my beautiful 2000 V11 sport legally registered in California, having shipped it from Floria.

To answer the earlier post, the 2000 model also has the emissions sticker under the hugger on the right swing arm. Turned out the DMV paid no attention at all to the emissions issue!

If you see a brand new green V11 sport tooling around Santa Monica mountains with the pilot wearing a huge grin....that's me! Just need the transmission recall work done, then need to ponder whether I go with the matching magni fairing / bar end mirrors or not?

Cheers

Derek

76737[/snapback]

Good news!

Well, as far as "needing" the emissions sticker, one is better safe than sorry, as we've seen inconsistent enforcement at various CA DMV offices. I think it just depends on the perogative of the DMV officer one is working with whether they demand "proof" that the bike is CA emissions legal... as if a decal is really "proof" anyway :rolleyes:

Have fun :bike: