Engine Ping and Stumble

Guest Scura Owner

Oh... and I usually use the highest octane fuel I can find. Typically 93, but sometimes 94.

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Guest jimjib

I better be able to whack it open at 3000 and have it pull like train.. with no pinging. Geez, I though I bought a big old torquey twin...not a 600 4. That 1100S is looking better and better.

Guest Guest_dlaing

1100S have there share of problems too. The feedback of the o2 sensor can create less regular problems that are more difficult to cure.

As for keeping the revs up, my bike would ping from 4000 to 7000 rpms before I installed the powercommander. If I try leaning the powercommander(to get better mpg), it pings at 5000 rpms and occasionally in a few other places. I guess 5000rpm is about maximum ignition advance. I will remap it once I get mufflers, crossover, and air filters decided on and installed. Balancing the throttle bodies is also important for reducing pinging. My valves are adjusted to .15/.20mm I wonder if it may ping less going one way or the other?

Guest Chelmi Ryu

Hi,

With my two V11 i have a pinging problems, and the reason is wrong ignition advance. On the v11 the right butterfly potentiometer adjustment it's very important, it's the base adjustement for the electronic system.

The adjustement is 150mv (+- 2mv).

I hope you have understand my english.

Have a nice day,

Chelmi

thanks for the post Chelmi. I had not really thought of the 150mv as being the base for the mapping calculation. I thought if the TPS mv were high, the bike would run richer and if it were low it would run leaner. But if it could effect the timing, that sure does change how important it is to get it set correctly. I have mostly been letting my power commander compensate for everything.

Guest Chelmi Ryu

Hi,

>the 150mv as being the base for the mapping calculation.

Yes, it's the base, it's difficult to have 150mv, but it's very important. Check this point in first. After with mistral and k&n is it possible to change the richer, but only with the software.

Have a nice day

Chelmi

PS : Excuse my late answer, but my english is not very good, and a friend help me to translate english <> french

Guest Scura Owner

I agree with the importance of setting up the TPS however if it is in the ballpark fine tuning will not much effect on timing and mixture at full throttle. There is not much difference between 90% and 100% throttle.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scura Owner

I am still getting the pinging I have been experience however more to the puzzle. During a daylong 300 mile ride my riding partner occasionally heard backfiring and black smoke bellowing out my exhaust pipes, as she described it. I correlated this to every time I experienced pinging which occured every time I was full throttle at 5000 rpm. Most of this ride was done at 70 to 80 mph in 80 degree weather.

Black smoke usually means a rich condition. Pinging means lean. Am I getting carbon build up then hot spots causing incomplete combustion?

Guest jimjib

Its funny but I dont seem to get the pining around town...even on the freeway....seem to be when I get to the higher elavations.

Guest scott

Sure sounds like pinging is a very common problem. I took delivery of my V11 LeMans in December; never noticed any pinging until the hot summer months arrived. Now, here in the hot Sacramento Valley, my bike will ping during hard acceleration and surg/miss if just coasting in the 2000-3000 rpm range, but this only occurs if the engine has been "heat soaked".

I suspect it's due to a lean condition that developes after all the heat sensors get maxed out? Why don't I get any pinging if the outside temp is in the 70's? My CO is set to 3.5% and valves are adjusted to the more liberal European settings. I don't want to get a powercommander (I currently get 40-43 mpg, and a powercommander will drop that down to the low 30's). My dealer is going to reset Co to 4% and inspect TPS settings this week. Lastly, the bike has always started on the "difficult" side (never starts on the first try).

Sure hope someone finds some real solutions to these all to common problems. :wacko:

Guest Guest_dlaing

I like the power commander because you can enrichen it where you need to and lean it where you need to. Yes, out of the box they will use more fuel. But if properly set up, they can stop the pinging and save fuel. (Or so I speculate as I still need access to a PC to modify the map)

Since you do not want to go that route, you may be able to shim the engine position sensor to retard the timing a little. But I don't know anyone who has tried that. So again, I may be incorrectly speculating....

Best-O-Luck!

In a similar vein... I'm thinking about getting my heads ported by Rich Maund(Cooked Goose sponsor) this winter, and now am wondering if dual-plugging the heads will make any difference...

I don't currently have any issues with pinging, but I'll have to ask him his thoughts. I've read a bit about it, and there are certainly different schools. Anyone have any experience with the benefits or otherwise with dual-plugging the heads on a V11 or similar? I guess I'd have to track down new coils too... I wonder if there are any ECU dependencies as well...hrmm :unsure:

al