Oil Leak After Crash!

Dr Gil

The barometer effect should set in after about four months. After it stops hurting all the time.

Really it's doing well. I've had the Sport out a few times and put 100 miles on the GB Sunday while it was clear and upper 60s F. I've even started the Maneater XR 200 ( from the offside like an old Triumph) and putted around the yard a bit. The wife should start speaking to me again here in a day or so.

I did notice my right heel comes to rest against the brake master cylinder cover on the Sport. Never did that before.

(Thanks for askin' . . . )

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What time is it?

Time for another timing chest crack repair. Yep, mine's busted. Stupid Guzzi design! Why do they bolt the sub-frame through a big meaty lump on the timing cover – and then bolt the timing cover to the engine through a wee section that's thinner than a slice of white bread, immediately under the sub-frame attachment? Of course it will crack.

I think that Baldini's suspicions are right: that this engine is best craddled in a frame, not stressed as part of the frame.

You otter see my ELdo. I got cut off by a semitruck the othe day and had to pop up over a curb and through a moonscape of huge potholes to escape the squeeze of my life under the truck's wheels. I didn't crash and kept going but oil was leaking out after I got to work. The timing chest hit the curb and is broken wide open, the fork tubes are bent, and all the internals of the fork are blown. I'm blue. :angry:

Time for another timing chest crack repair. Yep, mine's busted. Stupid Guzzi design! Why do they bolt the sub-frame through a big meaty lump on the timing cover – and then bolt the timing cover to the engine through a wee section that's thinner than a slice of white bread, immediately under the sub-frame attachment? Of course it will crack.

I think that Baldini's suspicions are right: that this engine is best craddled in a frame, not stressed as part of the frame.

You (and of couse Baldini) are right...it is a stupid design. Mounting the sub-frame to the "oh-so-fragile timing cover" is ridiculous. I can't imagine what the engineers were thinking of...perhaps that no one would ever lay the bikes down? :huh2:

The good news is that the covers are available and they are pretty easily replaced (this based on the fact that I was able to do it and I'm no mechanic).

Good luck and I hope everything turns out alright. :thumbsup:

Ta. I've sent an e-mail to HMB to see if they still have any, but I don't see one on the site.

Perhaps Paul M, or someone who knows about such things, could say if they currently know of any availability in Europe at a decent price.

• 1 month later...

Ta. I've sent an e-mail to HMB to see if they still have any, but I don't see one on the site.

Perhaps Paul M, or someone who knows about such things, could say if they currently know of any availability in Europe at a decent price.

John O'Sullivan has made a fantastic offer to send me a timing cover from his replaced motor. Brilliant – it's great to have generous Guzzi chums about the place.

Now what do I need to get? A crank seal and a gasket?

John O'Sullivan has made a fantastic offer to send me a timing cover from his replaced motor. Brilliant – it's great to have generous Guzzi chums about the place.

Yes that's it. If your current gasket is metal type you definitely want one new as they aren't reusable at all.

The seal I always forget to buy but mine isn't leaking at all after three removals of the cover. You should probably replace it, considering the effort needed to do it later.

I didn't need to replace the crank seal...but that's me (and I suspect you).

A new gasket for the timing cover seemed a good idea for me (and probably you) at the time since you're in there anyway. You (me) really doesn't want to do this procedure any more often than necessary. ;)

I didn't need to replace the crank seal...but that's me (and I suspect you).

... a good idea for me (and probably you) etc...

You suspect (etc) right.

It all depends on the alignment of the postal service, the stars, my ability to create a parts list and make orders, the weather, TIME and various other things. This is all pretty complicated, so I suspect the seal may stay (his time).