Winter!!

Ouiji Veck

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick and tired about this winter here in Holland. It's coming to during too long and I demand NOW the spring!

I hope the Lord is listening to me.

82434[/snapback]

It does seem to be dragging on this year, I'd hate to atribute it to Global Warming <_>

I've had next to no real snow fall this winter, just a few light sprinkles hasn't lasted more than a day. But it keeps trying. This morning there was a light frosting on the bike and cars. We are getting nicer days but a few that are quite cold.

I hope that it picks up a bit for when Orson comes over next week and we head to the Welsh hills.

Yesterday, the fine spring weather here tempted me out on the old Thunderbird. Within 5 minutes I was back with a non-functioning speedometer. Determined to ride an oldie on my morning errands, I put the Triumph in the dog-house and took out the Norton. Another five minutes riding allowed me to discover that the elderly front tyre had developed a flat spot through standing this winter and I got back home with an unusually high idle speed: the float in the ancient Amal monobloc is now too worn to allow a low idle. This morning we have a trip planned in the FART [sorry FIAT] to the vineyard we buy from in Duras: I have decided to take a full tool kit.

[Picture taken last summer: the season isn't that advanced!] :(

DSCN0225crop.jpg

Yesterday, the fine spring weather here tempted me out on the old Thunderbird. Within 5 minutes I was back with a non-functioning speedometer. Determined to ride an oldie on my morning errands, I put the Triumph in the dog-house and took out the Norton. Another five minutes riding allowed me to discover that the elderly front tyre had developed a flat spot through standing this winter and I got back home with an unusually high idle speed: the float in the ancient Amal monobloc is now too worn to allow a low idle. This morning we have a trip planned in the FART [sorry FIAT] to the vineyard we buy from in Duras: I have decided to take a full tool kit.

82512[/snapback]

ARE those beads covering your door?????

You friggin hippie. :lol::lol:

82512[/snapback]

Couple of real beauties there Bob :notworthy:

Couple of real beauties there Bob :notworthy:

82644[/snapback]

Thanks, Dan: kind comment. Your pair of beauties has not escaped my attention! I have had examples of both. I remember my Commando particularly fondly: a friend in England still has it.

I don't know what I was drivelling on about in this post: the problem with the Norton is not the float but the slide: I think my brain was anticipating the tasting session in Duras that morning.

My Dommie is basically a 1955 88 model, but with a tuned 99 motor installed: in much better condition than the carb, happily! The gearbox is from an Inter, and many of the cycle parts are later. The bike goes incredibly well and is a favourite.

The 59 T'bird is pretty original and has been mine for nearly thirty years: twice rebuilt by me - I did the paint myself 15 years ago in the original rebuild, which is why it's workmanlike, black and not brilliant.

Edit: just noticed you have a '64 Atlas too, Dan. I so want a '64 Atlas!

It's noticeable, isn't it, how many of us also own, ride and work on old Brit stuff. Perhaps we ought to have an ancient Brits section? Since we now seem to have philosophy and moth sections firmly established, I don't see a problem. Jaap, I'm offering to be ancient Brits moderator! [only kidding]

Tell us about yours!

My Dommie is basically a 1955 88 model, but with a tuned 99 motor installed: in much better condition than the carb, happily! The gearbox is from an Inter, and many of the cycle parts are later. The bike goes incredibly well and is a favourite.

82647[/snapback]

I've had the Amals on the Commando sleeved, made all the difference, envy of my brit bike mates. I refuse to go with a Mikuni. Don't know if anyone sleeves monos though, seems like they'd be doable. My Atlas is nearly a basket case and a project just started (about 4 years now :whistle: ) The Commando is a regular rider and the T120 is nearly complete, just sorting electrics & cables. So little time...

I've had the Amals on the Commando sleeved, made all the difference, envy of my brit bike mates. I refuse to go with a Mikuni. Don't know if anyone sleeves monos though, seems like they'd be doable. My Atlas is nearly a basket case and a project just started (about 4 years now :whistle: ) The Commando is a regular rider and the T120 is nearly complete, just sorting electrics & cables. So little time...

82663[/snapback]

I should do this, Dan. Truth is, I'm being lazy and cheap [as usual]. There is a nearly new concentric sitting in the barn that's the right size [because I don't really like them, but it would be better than a worn out monobloc], and there is a firm in England [surry Cycles I think they're called], who service, repair and even sell new monoblocs, at a price. However, you've spurred me into action! The old Dommie deserves, and will get, better. With you on using a Mikuni, even if my old Commando now runs with one and is transformed, apparently.

By the way, don't be ashamed of a four-year rebuild on your T120; my Thunderbird took longer than that, the first time I did it!