shutting down

Guest marcialc

54 members have voted

1. 1. shutting down

• kill switch
    • Use the Key

Guest marcialc

Which way do you shut down the V11 engine.

Kill switch or using the key

....and why??? simple question... thought the resuts might be interesting.

On a technical note, I've heard various pseudo-science over the years about how it's bad on the electronics, etc... to shut the engine down one way versus the other.

I've never bought into any of these wives-tales, but perhaps there's a kernal of truth loosely based on some old bike waaaay bike that had some peculiarity?? Who knows... If anyone knows where this myth came from, I'd love to hear it's history :rolleyes:

al

Guest JohnInNH

I use the Key because *IF* I use the kill button I can not get it to start as the button gets "stuck" in the "off" position. It takes about 3 minutes and 20-30 pokes to get it to come out. Al at Marsh's is getting me a replacement switch.

Wonderful .. While maneuvering the tank bag bumps the switch and "kills" the motor.... 3 minutes later and 5 angry cagers behind me, I get the button to pop out and restart then bike. :(

I use the key because I am superstitious that if I leave the headlight on for one second without the engine running, my battery will die! Plus whenever I have tried using the kill switch I forget to switch it back, and look like an idiot when I try to start it. I have thought that it is cheaper to buy a kill switch than a key switch, so that may be a reason to try to wear out the kill switch. However these bikes are pretty good at taking the load off of the ignition switches and putting it on the relays.

On older BMW airheads (of which I own one), it's a terrible idea to use the kill switch, because BMW totally cheaped out on the internals of the switch; it's got a service life of maybe several hundred cycles, if you're lucky. Then the little ball bearing falls out and the bike won't start until you've gotten it back in place (a procedure which requires three hands and good eyesight, not to mention a complement of tools you don't normally carry).

On MGs, I'm sure this isn't a problem, but that's trained me to use the key at all times. I'm almost positive I'd forget to turn the kill switch back on, and go through the "why won't the bike start?!?" dance, if I used it.

On the negative side, this basically trains me to forget about the kill switch, which will be bad if I get into a situation where I need it. On the positive side, you're gonna use the key anyway, why introduce wear on a second part?

• 5 years later...
Guest Nogbad

Read the manual

You are SUPPOSED to use the key. The kill switch just stops the engine leaving everything else on and is intended for emergency use, like when you are pinned under there and a passer by can't find the key but might spot the big red button.

Anyone regularly using the kill switch except to test its health will be issued with BODGE POINTS. You have been warned.

Anyone regularly using the kill switch except to test its health will be issued with BODGE POINTS. You have been warned.

Oh dear :(:(

Because my throttle butterflies are totally gummed up and have jammed in the WOT position I have become accustomed to using the kill switch in lieu of the twistgrip - okay progress may be a bit on the jerky side but gearshifts are very positive :thumbsup:

Does this mean I qualify for double BODGE POINTS :huh:

GJ

You are SUPPOSED to use the key.

Agreed, I use the key. I was also told (on a Triumph) that when you shut the bike down with the key info is sent to the ECU, such as throttle position etc. This is supposed to help the bike on startup. ?? I'm skeptical.

Also, most of the time, I shut the bike down for gas, lunch, etc. I'm going to take the key with me. Why turn it off twice?

The kill switch just stops the engine leaving everything else on and is intended for emergency

when you are pinned under there and a passer by can't find the key but might spot the big red button.

I think the kill switch is left over b.s. from the dark ages when the key was in odd locations like under the seat or below the forks etc.. Now that it is up on top near the kill switch I think it is redundant. I guess you could argue you don't have to take you hand off the bars to shut the bike down from the kill switch. If I'm pinned under the bike this won't be a problem! I can't think of any situation where I'm running the bike moving or not when I must shut the bike down and can't let go of the grip.

Enough said,

bird dawg

Oh dear :(:(

Because my throttle butterflies are totally gummed up and have jammed in the WOT position I have become accustomed to using the kill switch in lieu of the twistgrip - okay progress may be a bit on the jerky side but gearshifts are very positive :thumbsup:

Does this mean I qualify for double BODGE POINTS :huh:

GJ

I want some bodge points too.

I don't use the key or kill switch. I lean over and quickly reach down and pull both plug wires. Works every time. :bike:

havent seen this many polls...since the wall came down.

:P

Funny stuff.

By the by, I use the key; but mostly 'cause I have used the switch in the past and left the key in with the lights on. Never good, so key it is.

:)

I chose "kill switch" even tho' the correct option* wasn't listed.

* - ie, "Whatever is most convenient at the time."

Ride on!

:bike: