shutting down

Guest marcialc

54 members have voted

1. 1. shutting down

• kill switch
    • Use the Key

I invariably shut the Goose off with the kick stand.!!!

Come in for a landing.....shook...kickstand down...bike off...key in pocket.

Living dangerously ain't I ??

nyut nyut nyut....wooo wooo woooo woo

I ain't takin' no crap from no eyetalian hunka tin......

I think the kill switch is left over b.s. from the dark ages when the key was in odd locations like under the seat or below the forks etc.. Now that it is up on top near the kill switch I think it is redundant. I guess you could argue you don't have to take you hand off the bars to shut the bike down from the kill switch. If I'm pinned under the bike this won't be a problem! I can't think of any situation where I'm running the bike moving or not when I must shut the bike down and can't let go of the grip.

Gotta disagree with that one BIG time. When or if you are unfortunate enough to have a throttle jam wide open while overtaking a line of other vehicles with the prospect of a bend in the road coming up, you do NOT have the time to react quickly enough, nor the inclination to remove your hand from the other controls, (such as the front brake!), to get over to the key and switch it off - guess how I know this :blush:. By the time you realise something has gone wrong at nearly 9000 rpm you need to be able to respond very, very fast.

There was a thread running last year where some people were considering removal of the kill switch to get rid of intermittent starting problems and at the time I advised strongly against doing it for the reason given above. Needless to say that after my own near death and trouser changing experience I haven't changed my mind.

What's that aviation related saying about there being, "old pilots, bold pilots but no old, bold pilots" ? Could be just as applicable here! :oldgit:

GJ

:2c: i have to agree with guzzijack. that switch right at your right thumb can be very handy at times to kill the beast! :D

I invariably shut the Goose off with the kick stand.!!!

Come in for a landing.....shook...kickstand down...bike off...key in pocket.

Living dangerously ain't I ??

nyut nyut nyut....wooo wooo woooo woo

I ain't takin' no crap from no eyetalian hunka tin......

yes a temporary with that sought of agressive behavior. :helmet:

I don't think I have ever switched the kill switch. 80% of the time I leave the bike in gear and kill the motor by deploying the kick stand. Otherwise it's the ignition switch.

I have always used the key (30 years now). There is on advantage to the kill switch though. Back in the early 80's a buddy of mine, upon returning to his parked GPz550, discovered that someone had hot wired his ignition in an attempt to steel his bike. Apparently, when the bike wouldn't start, the would be thief wrongfully assumed that he had not got the hot wiring quite right and eventually just gave up. His real problem was that my buddy always hits the kill switch when he parks his bikes. Without inserting his ignition key he simply placed the kill switch back into the run position and the bike started right up.

So...however you decide to stop your engine it is not a bad idea to hit the kill switch either way.

I have always used the kill button on both my Moto Guzzi's. The reasons: That was the way I was taught in the MSF course. And because they said that by using the kill button you can always find it faster in an emergency. I don't if those are good or bad reasons but that is the way I do it.

I used the key on my friends Honda that had a suspect kill button however.