fails to start -

Tim

hi folks - first time my 2000V11 has let me down. I have to confess it has been stood for a couple of weeks and its been quite cold - even here in west London.

Plenty of juice in the battery - it seemd to spin over no problem and the fuel pump made its customary buzz. However I didn't have time to investigate further.

Although I've a reasonable amount of spanner knowledge and owned several guzzis before I wondered whether people out there with more V11 knowhow than me could let me know likely list of things to try ?

Any advice gratefully received.

regards

Tim

hi folks - first time my 2000V11 has let me down. I have to confess it has been stood for a couple of weeks and its been quite cold - even here in west London.

Plenty of juice in the battery - it seemd to spin  over no problem and the fuel pump made its customary buzz. However I didn't have time to investigate further.

Although I've a reasonable amount of spanner knowledge and owned several guzzis before I wondered whether people out there with more V11 knowhow than me could let me know likely list of things to try ?

regards

Tim

70633[/snapback]

Hi Tim

I would start with checking the relays- are they the original Seimens? If so that may be the problem. Swap them over and see if that makes a difference. If so replace with Bosch or Ormron units.

The neutral switch which connects to the gearbox behind the starter motor may be another cause- make sure its all conncted and pressed together nicely.

Some posters here have moved handlebars from side to side which has enabled them to start bike.

I believe there is a switch on the clutch that may be a cause- also worth checking block connectors under the fuel tank to make sure they are connected properly.

This has happened to most of us- if you use the search facility you will come across many other posts and solutions regarding this.

Good luck

Guy :helmet:

The neutral switch which connects to the gearbox behind the starter motor may be another cause- make sure its all conncted and pressed together nicely.

Some posters here have moved handlebars from side to side which has enabled them to start bike.

I believe there is a switch on the clutch that may be a cause- also worth checking block connectors under the fuel tank to make sure they are connected properly.

70634[/snapback]

I think if it's the side stand/neutral/clutch combination it doesn't spin over.

Plenty of juice in the battery - it seemd to spin  over no problem and the fuel pump made its customary buzz. However I didn't have time to investigate further.

regards

Tim

70633[/snapback]

Here are a couple of recent linkys . . . with you being in the motherland and all, not sure about your access to the proper battery and relays.

Linky 1

Linky 2

Carefully resetting the relays under the seat is good advice ( as is ditching the Siemens for the upgraded relays from Dan Pruneske [Dansguzzi]).

The clutch switch,which may be affected by turning the bars, may prevent the starter from turning. The clutch switch will not keep the motor from running but only lock out the starter.

Try fiddling with the gear shift a bit and be sure the neutral light comes on. Other wise, you might straddle the bike, pull in the clutch and see if will start in gear. Remember, it may be in gear so don't launch it through your neighbor's lorrie or run over his wife Lory. :D

The current to run has a more direct path with the stand up, bypassing both the side stand switch and the middle relay.

thanks for the advice - just to reiterate though - the starter turns the engine over so just a case of fuel/spark absence - I'll try wiggling the relays though and WD40 the plug caps and coils - maybe I should light a fire under the sump like the long distance truckers do...

You may have a bad electric fuel tap. Also, if it's really cold out, any moisture at the bottom of the tank may be frozen in the tap as well. Just another thing to check. Actually, since the starter spins, I think you're just not getting any fuel. Let us know what you find and it will get added to the communal knowledge base.

Went out today and wiggled the relays and sprayed the plug caps and coil with WD40. Tried the starter but the engine only managed a few revolutions before making a rapid clicking noise. The weather is a bit colder so I reckon the battery has given out. I've whipped it out and put it on my little 12 volt charger which read 14 volts when I switched on and settled at 2 amps charge rate. I'll let it run for a couple of hours today then give it another dose tomorrow. I'll see if that gets it to start. On the positive side it means I can fit the Edge's "B guard" while the battery is out

I'll send an update tomorrow

If I remember right I needed to put mine on the charger last winter to start it. It was a brand new bike that had sat in a garage for 4 years at that time. If your bike sits outside the wet weather may play a part in this problem. Just make sure the petcock is open and you are getting fuel to the tb's.

Guest redguzziv10

wouldn't you know it.

Went out this morning and the thing wouldn't start.

it seems the be the exact same problem as Tim is getting, .. turns over, but no fire.

Usually it starts on the button first time, every time. On saturday it took three or four tries, then this morning nothing!

Let me know how you sorted yours Tim, and i'll do likewise if i fix the problem first.

Felt froggy enough yesterday to back the Guzzi out( trying not to run over my broken leg) and give her a warm up.

A couple slow turns and then just solenoid clicking. :(

45 minutes on the 1 amp charger and she boomed to life. Defused the headlamp and ran it at 3-4000 til the oil cooler hose showed a little warmth.

It felt glorious to swing a (broken) leg over her and blast the 20 feet back into the garage! :helmet:

Apologies for the delay - I only just got round to refitting the battery and - hey presto it fired straight into life.

my diagnosis?? I'd say damp and a battery on the margins/slowed down by cold conditions. I'll see how the battery performs in the future...its days may be numbered though.

So - if your steed exhibits the same symptoms as mine then - spray plug caps, HT leads and coil with WD40 or equivalent but once you hear that solenoid clicking I'd say you should cut your losses, whip out the battery and charge or replace it. Also I believe that electronic ignition needs a decent voltage to work.

I don't think relays were to blame in this particular instance.

I fitted Edge's shock absorber guards while I was at it - very neat and straghtforward to fit