''BIG NED''

g.forrest

:luigi: ''the beam action rotary valve problem is being solved,  biggest prblem at the moment is 43 degree c in da shade now at 5 pm''' :bier:

71677[/snapback]

Difficult to get good compression ratio unless the engine stroke is very long.

Lubrication oil for the sleeve valve will piss into the combustion chamber.

The diameter of the inlet tract in the valve and the position and size of the cylinder head port will not give good swirl or sufficient velocity to get good mixing and filling.

Cyclic heating of the valve sleeve with first cold fuel then hot exhaust gases might cause thermal fatigue.

I think there is a fair possibility the fuel mixture could ignite in the inlet tract when it hits the hot part of the sleeve.

I think you have made a great job of constructing it though!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks identical to the "Cross" rotary valve invented by Roland C Cross. I can even see his "resilient packing" in your design. Laurie Bond revised the design and Norton tried it but without success.

Good Luck.

Nutty rotary valves

:bier: I thank you for your input, as i thank all others who may take interest in this project. to be honest, this can evolve with the help of many thoughts as it has thus far, it is my hope that forums such as this one,can gain information to help all those who believe in following there thoughts dreams and ambitions, however bizzar. :rasta:

This looks identical to the "Cross" rotary valve invented by Roland C Cross. I can even see his "resilient packing" in your design. Laurie Bond revised the design and Norton tried it but without success.

Good Luck.

Nutty rotary valves

71696[/snapback]

:bier: I thank you for your input, as i thank all others who may take interest in this project. to be honest, this can evolve with the help of many thoughts as it has thus far, it is my hope that forums such as this one,can gain information to help all those who believe in following there thoughts dreams and ambitions, however bizzar. :rasta:

71698[/snapback]

I think the recprocating weight and friction is way too high to overcome the advantages of the elimination of the valve spring, which is the major achillies heel of the piston based engine. Personally I have always thought the rotory engine has THE greatest potential from a performance point of view. The fact that every sanctioning body on earth either bans them outright or strangles them into parity or uselessnes confirms that, I think. Having said all the above, the mere fact that you have gotten this far is a tremendous achievment! Bravo!! Please post when you have gotten the beast running!

:thumbsup: thanks for that carl, no i had not seen this footage before.. :rasta:

g.forrest, you seem to like having a Ural Gear Up for your avatar, so here's where you can get the movies if you haven't already seen them. Ural Movies

gearup.jpg

The Three Desert trip through Australia is a good flick.

71812[/snapback]

:P: gotta get one a them two wheel drives..takes me back to when i had honda 500 xl with chair,,so much fun ...that i still feel the pain.. :rasta:

:thumbsup: thanks for that carl, no i had not seen this footage before.. :rasta:

71860[/snapback]

:P: gotta get one a them two wheel drives..takes me back to when i had honda 500 xl with chair,,so much fun ...that i still feel the pain.. :rasta:

71861[/snapback]

My 2005 Patrol should have been delivered before Christmas. The cretins at Roadway pigeonholed it in St. Louis indefinitely. I could'a been having fun and instead, I'm just playing around on the computer.

So is this a six stroke motor project? ie the bottom end is four stroke but the combustion chamber is two stroke. Remeber a couple of guys on Adeliade had done a similar thing to a Ducati 900ss eliminated the valve train. Athough it could only go to around 9K because thats all the bottom end would take. Kinda defeated the purpose IMO but it was a intresting exercise none the less. Sorry haven't really paid to much attention to it until someone started talking about rotary valves.

:bike: no its four stroke.only fifference is rotary valves. cross type as spotted by nogbad.. it's simply a project [not by me ] but by a friend who i met when he moved to live close by me, who had previously built race engines and done engineering for others, and who had been many years in that other world of drag racing,starting with building very fast triumph based machines and finnishing with his own hand built v twin engined drag bike with conventional four valve heads, he made this engine following his passion of what he'd read on rotary valves.so after a couple of years of it being merely a conversation piece and curiosity piece in his home decided he wanted to put it in a frame and at least ride it once while he's still above ground. the torque effect of a three litre v twin mounted in this fashion to shaft drive is still '' unknown '' but as he puts it in his words...were gunna go there..![ ahhh the mind of an older man ] :rasta: [ ps. to quote burt munro ] just one good run as a sacrifice to the god of speed.. CIAO GAZZA.

So is this a six stroke motor project? ie the bottom end is four stroke but the combustion chamber is two stroke. Remeber a couple of guys on Adeliade had done a similar thing to a Ducati 900ss eliminated the valve train. Athough it could only go to around 9K because thats all the bottom end would take. Kinda defeated the purpose IMO but it was a intresting exercise none the less. Sorry haven't really paid to much attention to it until someone started talking about rotary valves.

71887[/snapback]