WHAAAAT? A DOWNSIDE to K&N filters?!?!

Guest ratchethack

Well 'never mind the material, feel the position'. I think you're all daft – putting air filter pods outside, directly exposed to all the wet and muck of the day. So what, if one filter lets through a few microns more than another – if it's actually covered in hovered-up flotsam and jetsam. Keep it dry and snuggly, breathing comfortably in the box where it belongs.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeezus christ,who rattled your cage? :D

I didn't detect an ounce of acrimony anywhere,you've got one opinion,I've got another,someone else is different again.

So what?

You have decided,based on the above test,that K&N's are not for you.

Fair enough.

You've set out these arguments before,shown the same tests and outlined your position why one filter is better than another.I read your post,picked up any salient points and put forward another point of view,based upon what I've read and my own personal experience.

You dont like K&N's.Dont fit one,then.

Some fella's have them,some have drilled airboxes,pods,stockers,et al.Everybody has differing perspectives and likes/dislikes,it's what makes it all so interesting.

Keep tinkering,Ratchet,I enjoy your posts but I'm big enough and ugly enough to make up my own mind about what I like. :P

And lighten up a wee bit ffs,were only havin a chat. :bier:

Anyway,any theoretical decrease in efficiency due to poor airfilter choice will be nought compared to he drop in performance due to the dodgy cam chain stretching and throwing the cam timing out.Which gears are best,steel or ally?Anybody?

I read the information that your link provided. I noticed that the relative humidity in these tests were all between 45 to 67 percent. That is a dry day here on the wet coast so how does this help me? I will try and find the data to back up what I learned about higher humidity and its affect on many types of air filters. I guess we all need to be aware that lots of data sometimes is just lots of data!!

Guest ratchethack
I am still wanting to know what kind of filter you prefer?

Sorry, Jim.

Are you hunting me down now? :P

I reckon my posts are just to insufferably long for most people to read. My apologies. I don't think in sound-bytes, and I can't write that way either.

Knowing that there'd be some probability of egos getting wrapped around the ol' driveshaft when I opened this thread, in the spirit of "up-front full disclosure" I attempted to get all my biases and potential biases out on the table in my opening post.

You'll see there and again in post #33 that I currently use a BMC re-usable air filter. It's not a brand that I'm "married to", but it IS one of several that seem to consistently rank within a group in tests I've read where filtering capabilities on many parameters are among the best - relatively speaking. Again - I'd be as likely to use one as the next from those that tend to consistently test within the same ranges. I like re-usable.

I see by your post that BMC is acceptable to you.

Are you gonna break off the hunt now? :lol:

I also see your implication that 45 - 67% test humidity evidently makes the entire Duramax study suspect. That's not a dry day here and I'm on the West coast also, but not the "wet" coast. Is there a humidity range for a filter test that you consider acceptable for producing good data?

MY turn!!

That is why I prefer a filter like BMC or K&N because they work much better in the real world. Paper works great if you live in a dry environment like Arizona though.

So what's you personal choise BMC or K&N? Are they the same in what they supposed to do?

:bier:

Well, Gents, I woke up this morning eagerly anticipating what this thread might have flushed out overnight. .........

bla...bla...blaa......

I don’t know if engine protection is important to others, but it is to me. I reckon it should be if you plan on maintaining your Guzzi for many years, but that’s just me. Obviously for many here, air filters seem to be in an altogether separate category of relative unimportance. That’s fine by me! 

Wait a minute please, To start my point I'd say that I don't defend any side or whatever simply beacuse I think of myself as a learner.

This was also posted in the thread

http://www.rc51.org/dyno/bmc.htm

and there is indeed some reason to the one who wrote it (concerning BMC)

1...."My professional guess is that the BMC's flowed so much air that they caused turbulence in the airbox/intake's effectively lowering the amount of quality air through the throttle bodies."

True or not I cannot judge.I think is very likely to be true though

But trying to(correctly) improve a HONDA can cost too much time and money.

2. At the other side as well

I read the information that your link provided. I noticed that the relative humidity in these tests were all between 45 to 67 percent. That is a dry day here on the wet coast so how does this help me? I will try and find the data to back up what I learned about higher humidity and its affect on many types of air filters. I guess we all need to be aware that lots of data sometimes is just lots of data!!

IF we assume the 1 truth than this is a fact n.1 to concider turbulence in the airbox

No2. Is unknockable.

So find me the correct filter for the Guzzi , providing both

sufficient air and corect filtering.

Well O.K. tests done in same bike, (well of cource mapped on the original filter)

and even if they didn;t that doesn't tell anything at all , it's not a rule

For the same reason that you can measure 2 different bikes of the same model and make ,same set up as well, in the same time and place and will give different output, O.K. what should be the rule then??

And something else. NONE and I mean NONE of these tests are done on such Guzzis we ride!!! Where different aerodynamics are and differend combustion chambers and so on.

Personally(these tests) they're not proving anything, can only take some example of the cruisial factors for correct air for the system, and that's what should we look for.

:bier:

You'll see there and again in post #33 that I currently use a BMC re-usable air filter.  It's not a brand that I'm "married to", but it IS one of several that seem to consistently rank within a group in tests I've read where filtering capabilities on many parameters are among the best - relatively speaking. 

71530[/snapback]

Would you care to site the tests for BMC vs. brand X,Y, and Z?

I'd like to say cheers to BFG's keep a lid on it philosophy and mtiberio's educational post regarding valve guides. :bier:

As well as to all the other holiday revelers of all sorts of opinions :bier:

You literally wash it with soap....  and wash away all the dirt, and oil that does the real filtering.

K&N sells a cleaning and re-oiling kit.

al

71531[/snapback]

Oh I can warsh it with soap but whats a good oil to use? something synthetic? something light? something heavy? anyone? anyone? I plan to wash'em up and get the oil changed in all parts of the bike (except forks I know thats good) and find a way to grease the grease nipples.

Ben,if you have a K&N filter,the guys who sold it to you will have filter clean and the oil that you apply after.

I only re-oil the filter every 20,000 iles or so,so dont sweat it.

Sling your leg over and stuff the rest works best! :D

rachet;

I think the big difference in "opinion" or more correctly "perspective" may lie

in the fact that you (I believe) and I, expect, (or in my case am on a mission)

to put 200K on our bikes. Most would be trading out thier scoots in 40-60K

(@ the long term) just out of avorice and afluence.

I. for one, am not expecting to do a ring job @ 60K.

I do expect to be just over the honney moon and wringing the crap out of the

ol' tractor, with my Beemer buddies saying "you gonna ride that thing forever?".

yes......yes I am... :mg::D:xmas:

Guest trispeed

Is the weather so bad where you guys live that we have to debate frickin' air filters?

Who cares, run whatever 'ya want. Somebody can present their position and info they have/ believe and take it or leave it! Sometimes the info is quite usefull; if you don't agree, by all means submit contradictory evidence. If you just have a bias........

How about going for a ride, instead?