greasing v11 driveshaft

scre103

i would like to grease the shaft on my rosso, how do i get to all the grease zerks. the locations are illustrated in the owners manual however the zerk located near the engine is difficult to reach. any tips or thoughts. does my bike have to be up on a stand to reach all the zerks? thanks scre :bier: happy new year

Oh boy....here we go...

The forward zerk is a tough one...

I get mine @ tire change time...and use a "needle" tip on the grease gun.

The regular "fat" tip just wont get in there...most have found an "angeled"

tip that works for them...not me.

Good luck..

great idea brian,  :drink: why didn't i think of that!!!!

72642[/snapback]

yeah know just wat you mean...guess best route is to remove rear wheel and bevel box? let shaft hang down so joint opens right up and grease gun will fit.

luv my rosso.....

Guys,

This is what I use. I got a long, 16 inch or so grease gun extension hose and bought the following from McMaster-Carr:

1090K47 .

I did have to drill out the hole on this item to fit the grease nipple but it works great.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

yeah know just wat you mean...guess best route is to remove rear wheel and bevel box? let shaft hang down so joint opens right up and grease gun will fit.

luv my rosso.....

72691[/snapback]

rossoandy,you have your rosso posted as a 2000,did the rosso come to the uk in 2000, my rosso here in the usa is a 2001 model. :bike: scre

Good grief, there's an old thread on this topic. Its an easy task once you have the correct utensils. go to Ace hdw or etc and get a hinged/swivel grease head. I affixed that to a 1/8" extension pipe nipple. you then approach the front grease fitting for the rear of the bike (have the universal joint fitting rotated up). After youve done it a time or two, its a piece of cake, takes maybe 2 minutes, no wheel removal or anything. "Try it, you'll like it." :rasta:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest trispeed

Hello all, the 2004 models must be different.

The only access was after bending the needle nose style; even the rearmost U- joint fitting was inaccessible without this.

BTW, the rear splines were COMPLETELY dry; I have only 1900 miles!

Glad I had to change tires already!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I've finally done it. Greased the front grease nipple in drive shaft. A local mechanic leant me his right angle grease gun head. ie has normal head for attaching to nipple or zerk and rear end has another grease nipple to attach to gun.

Definitley need to remove rear wheel and let drive shaft drop to lowest point and only then can you just get the grease head to attach. 3 pumps before first sign of grease appeared, so methinks this job had been overlooked at dealers service.

Wot I would like to know is how often do they need servicing, every 10K km, 25k km, what does the book say?

Hey I've finally done it. Greased the front grease nipple in drive shaft. A local mechanic leant me his right angle grease gun head. ie has normal head for attaching to nipple or zerk and rear end has another grease nipple to attach to gun.

Definitley need to remove rear wheel and let drive shaft drop to lowest point and only then can you just get the grease head to attach.  3 pumps before first sign of grease appeared, so methinks this job had been overlooked at dealers service.

Wot I would like to know is how often do they need servicing, every 10K km, 25k km, what does the book say?

80031[/snapback]

I think the manual says 20,000kms. And you are right, taking the rear wheel off and lowering the shaft make it easy.

Ciao, Steve G.

I just finished doing mine at tire change also took apart the cush hub, replaced the shitty button head allens with some real bolts with deeper heads, the cush hub sleeve was dry, and the splines had hardly any grease, With the shaft dropped to its lowest point, the grease nipple pops right on, Good Luck. :rasta:

Guest ratchethack

A heads-up move on the cush drive hub collar, Rick! I expect this preventive maintenance'll be greatly appreciated by y'er Guz! She may even love you back! :wub:

Y'er ol' man's wisdom's well applied here, IMHO. :thumbsup: