Frnt cross-over shims - Perm. and reusable

Anthony

Brief recap:

I blew out both of my shims, made a post to the Forum for help, and was referred to Arron Bard (Turtle) - he designed permanent and reusable shim replacement parts. Reference Thread: Floopy cross-over fixed! Fix for cross-over. April 16, 2004 (http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2528&hl=)

Fast forward:

I found Arron and he found his drawings and we (more him than me) are getting ready to have some shims made. Is anyone interested in buying a set. The more that are made, the lower the per unit cost. Per the reference, the costs are:

4sets for $121 each

6sets for $103 each

10sets for $86

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brief recap:

I blew out both of my shims, made a post to the Forum for help, and was referred to Arron Bard (Turtle) - he designed permanent and reusable shim replacement parts.  Reference Thread:  Floopy cross-over fixed!  Fix for cross-over. April 16, 2004 (http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2528&hl=)

Fast forward:

I found Arron and he found his drawings and we (more me than him) are getting ready to have some shims made.  Is anyone interested in buying a set.  The more that are made, the lower the per unit cost.  Per the reference, the costs are:

4sets for $121 each

6sets for $103 each

10sets for $86

72877[/snapback]

I'd be up for a set, at around $100.00 if there's that much interest.

Andy DiMizio

I'd be up for a set, at around $100.00 if there's that much interest.

Andy DiMizio

72927[/snapback]

Andy, thanks for your response. I think we should be able to get about a dozen people. :)

Brief recap:

I blew out both of my shims, made a post to the Forum for help, and was referred to Arron Bard (Turtle) - he designed permanent and reusable shim replacement parts.  Reference Thread:  Floopy cross-over fixed!  Fix for cross-over. April 16, 2004 (http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2528&hl=)

Fast forward:

I found Arron and he found his drawings and we (more me than him) are getting ready to have some shims made.  Is anyone interested in buying a set.  The more that are made, the lower the per unit cost.  Per the reference, the costs are:

4sets for $121 each

6sets for $103 each

10sets for $86

72877[/snapback]

I don't need these as I have a 2002, but I think that since this is the type of thing that many 2003+ owners may want, but be unaware of being available.... and only comes around once every year or so in batches....

Jaap may want to "sticky" this thread or somehow get it in a headline on the forum so you guys can get as many orders in as possible, and also reduce the price via volume.

Jaap, what do you think?

al

I don't need these as I have a 2002, but I think that since this is the type of thing that many 2003+ owners may want, but be unaware of being available.... and only comes around once every year or so in batches....

Jaap may want to "sticky" this thread or somehow get it in a headline on the forum so you guys can get as many orders in as possible, and also reduce the price via volume.

Jaap, what do you think?

al

73022[/snapback]

Thank you! :notworthy:

4sets for $121 each

6sets for $103 each

10sets for $86

72877[/snapback]

OUCH!

How much are the stock replacement gaskets? They'd have to be pretty spendy to justify even the lowest $86 quote for the permanent solution. :o

Wish I had the money to spend on that, even just as a precaution [y'know, once I had that, the originals will never fail... :thumbsup: ]

Keep us updated if there's enough subscribers to bring the cost down further; this may really become a "critical mass" sort of thing, where once the unit cost comes down lower, more will jump on board, recursively to the point that *everyone* will buy in once the cost is down to $40 or so...

Good luck!

I think I paid about £16 for a pair of standard gaskets plus postage. I carry a spare pair. my main issue is I think getting the clamps tight enough.

Put me down for a pair of shims, i'll give'm a try. I prevaricated enough last time they were available

Guest Aaron Bard

I made the fist seven sets of couplers a year and a half ago when my crossover went floppy. Six others on the forum agreed to buy sets as well, helping offset the cost of my set. The price is driven by the small production quantities and the high precision necessary to make the part seal against the ball. Because of my job I have a good relationship with many shops and was able to get an excellent price for this part.

post-2240-1136427846_thumb.jpg

The only hope I see for reducing the cost substantially would be to install the stainless coupler on one side while using the original gasket on the other. The coupler should limit the movement of the crossover and the resulting wear on the original gasket.

Chime in if you would be interested in the one side solution at more or less half price. I have not yet obtained new quotes for the part but I can’t imagine the cost will go down. I will post the lowest Quote when I get it.

Chime in if you would be interested in the one side solution at more or less half price. I have not yet obtained new quotes for the part but I can’t imagine the cost will go down. I will post the lowest Quote when I get it.

73146[/snapback]

I guess I can pony up for 1@1/2rate, if only to get the prod. #s higher for everyone's benefit. A pair@1/2rate would still be better, tho'. Maybe this proposal will enable you to hit critical mass? Here's hoping!

:thumbsup:

just an idea, why not weld it on one side? One problem less. But maybe the factory feared that the pipes would crack to soon. They made a one piece on the le mans 850.

I have a pair v11 pipes with front crossover, bought used. It felt very floppy, but when I realy thightend it, it's as solid as a rock.

just an idea, why not weld it on one side? One problem less. But maybe the factory feared that the pipes would crack to soon. They made a one piece on the le mans 850.

I have a pair v11 pipes with front crossover, bought used. It felt very floppy, but when I realy thightend it, it's as solid as a rock.

73347[/snapback]

I have a set from the original 7, they have been installed for close to a year now, or about 8K worth of riding. I highly recommend them. They have stayed tight and rattle free since I installed them. The OE sleeves are a graphite/mesh/asbestos like kind of construction and they seem to compress + degrade a little at a time during running. Eventually I couldn't tighten down on the clamps any more for fear of wringing off the clamp bolts. Turtle's design is solid metal to metal clamping that keeps its integrity. Get'em while you can...... :rolleyes:

I'm so impressed with mine that I'm willing to buy a set of spares incase I get a used V11 in the future. They work perfectly.

Frank Long

After looking at my front crossover and the graphite/mesh/asbestos, there was a clear indentation where the crossover wore into the material. The factory sleeves are about 1 1/4 inch long and are straight/smooth. This allows the crossover to be placed where needed for a correct seal (has at least 1/2" of movement per side). The Turtle design is of a different design which the adjustment for width of the pipes is from moving the Turtle seal in and out of the header pipe for alignment.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to make a metal sleeve but with adding one split in it (for clamping force) the size of the factory ones? :huh2:

The costly part of the Turtle seal is boring the recess in the middle for the crossover ends.

Just a thought,

Mike

The OE sleeves are a graphite/mesh/asbestos like kind of construction and they seem to compress + degrade a little at a time during running.

73490[/snapback]