Frnt cross-over shims - Perm. and reusable

Anthony

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

:) Anthony managed to get some orders elsewhere and we will be able to make the shims for the $59 price. Of the 25 sets I have ordered from the machine shop, 20 are spoken for.

The Ten from this forum are …

Bill Hagan 1

Droydx 1

Anthony 2

Skeeve 1

Rocketman 1

Martin Barret 1

Frank Long 1

Guzzista 1

Mr. Bean 1

These individuals should e-mail me with shipping addresses.

If I have left anyone out let me know.

The five unclaimed sets will be first come first serve.

When the sets arrive a month or so from now, I will write the lucky recipients with the shipping costs and ship out when I receive a check.

Anthony and I are not good businessmen and you guys are getting a deal so don’t expect fancy things like warranties.

Thanks guys for a great forum and help with my bike when I needed it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I installed these shims a couple of years ago they worked great and then they eventually started to loosen up. I put some high temp sealer on them which worked for a little while and then I lost one of the shims, so Todd sent me another one. But even with the high temp sealant they do not work at all. Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Last summer, not long after I mounted these shims, my right head pipe cracked, and I welded it. This summer my left cracked, and I welded again. Both cracked just a few cm from the head. I believe it has to do with these shims being solid and not (a little) flexible, as the original shims.

Last summer, not long after I mounted these shims, my right head pipe cracked, and I welded it. This summer my left cracked, and I welded again. Both cracked just a few cm from the head. I believe it has to do with these shims being solid and not (a little) flexible, as the original shims.

Or it could be coincidence, there has been a few cases of cracked exhaust pipes without the use of these shims, some have even cracked without having the crossover pipe!!!.

I know this is an older thread but I also know its pinned for a reason. Anyone know if these are still being produced?

Not AFAIK; it was a one-time deal [which is why we needed to preorder, to get an accurate estimate of the # to produce so the lead wouldn't be out of pocket for a ton of shims nobody would buy.]

Since the only reason the stock units fail is because they get cranked down hard enough to keep the front x-over from flopping about & crushed to death from the added pressure, it may be the easiest thing to do to take a piece of stainless wire & weld it at each end to one of the headers and the x-over, so that you only have to crank down the connection btw the two enough to get a good seal, & the wire [fairly heavy gauge, obviously] can do the job of stabilizing the x-over's positioning. :luigi:

Someone else suggested just welding the x-over to the header on one side, but that would be pretty tough to undo if you ever needed to, whereas a heavy wire could be cut & redone when needed w/o too much hassle. It might even have sufficient flexibility to prevent cracking of the header(s), & if done on the back side btw the headers & the engine, wouldn't even be very visible should you need to cut the wire & grind off the stubs at some future date.

Ride on!

:bike:

Well it cost me nothing to fix it. I had a sheet of exhaust gasket material that I cut 2 strips and put 1 in the back side of each. Took the rattle right out and since the center is metal, crush to tight fit. No leaks or blowout for 500 miles so far. Yay