Moto Guzzi 650 Lario?

Guest Bruce

ebay will give you a value, if you use a reserve you won't have to sell for what you consider too low.. listing a vehicle is flat rate on ebay (was $65. for a motorcycle) and you get that refunded if it doesn't sell. there is not a percentage charge if sold, just the listing fee.

the idea of implanting a a Nevada 750 would be cool, or could you fit all the body work to a newer SB like the Stone?

Oh and Jumcc, good job digging up a 9 year old thread, this board rocks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all. I'm brand new to this forum. I live in Vermont and now own the V65 Lario that Guest Bruce saw in the shop window. I put about 100 miles on it. I intend to sell it. I was wondering how much it might be worth. 

We bought ours a few years ago; like new condition, euro style switchgear, about 8,000 miles, perfect condition, one owner. We paid what I thought was a fairly high price, about $4k. But we know the shop selling it and trusted them. In the end, as is so often the case, it is only what someone is willing to pay. We were OK with the high price tag, because of the shape it was in, the dealer that was selling it, and what we would have bought instead (other options were more money). I suspect not many are willing to pay as much as we were, in part because of the bad reputation they have. But personally I would rather have a Lario than a current small block. They are really cool once you get past the mechanical issues.

They are really cool once you get past the mechanical issues.

I think you just described most Guzzis.  :ninja:

• Like 1

Well, *most* Guzzis are as mechanically sound as a hammer. There have been times when I was absolutely abusing the Jack All rig when climbing in the mountains with Dorcia and her stuff. :whistle:  Same deal beating into a big head wind wound out in third gear out West for miles and miles. I thought at the time, "Sure glad this is a Guzzi." Not many engines would put up with this kind of abuse. Didn't faze it. 

Not recommended for a Lario..  :rasta:  :)

Well, *most* Guzzis are as mechanically sound as a hammer. There have been times when I was absolutely abusing the Jack All rig when climbing in the mountains with Dorcia and her stuff. :whistle:  Same deal beating into a big head wind wound out in third gear out West for miles and miles. I thought at the time, "Sure glad this is a Guzzi." Not many engines would put up with this kind of abuse. Didn't faze it. 

Not recommended for a Lario..  :rasta:  :)

I've ridden Guzzis, big block and small block, all over Europe, Australia and the USA. Not just piddling little 'Round the houses', "I'm going for some milk" trips and you know, I've NEVER had one not get me home! OK, it's been close from time to time but they are so bloody strong that even when they are quite severely broken they'll keep going!

Thing is they rarely get that bad. They warn you about f they're about to go 'Udders Skywards' and usually a long way in advance.

An exception to this rule is early 2V smallblocks and any 4V smallblock and even they let you know they're sick because the exhaust valve clearances start closing up.

While Chuck is obviously mad, (Don't ask him about that horrid thing he does with a pheasant and the tube of mustard!) and has an unhealthy fascination with Larios which ARE a grenade unless completely re-engineered, he's 'Paid his dues' Guzzi-wise and anything he says can be taken to the bank, (Where it can be put in the safe deposit box with what is left of the pheasant and the note of explanation from his lawyers.....).

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

A nice looking Lario for sale in NZ, just up the road from me.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-2268517827.htm?rsqid=06d6bf4805ad4edeb3b42dd92705feba-001

I see that a commenter suggested that "GN250 valves, with an easy mod to the collet-area, solves any problems with valves dropping through pistons, cheap as chips".

That is what they say. Better valves are one approach. Other approaches involve replacing the valve springs instead, which makes more sense to me. I wonder if that is what he meant.

I am a fan of the Lario. Maybe I am just lucky that ours has not blown up. But so far it has not blown up. And it is thoroughly enjoyable to ride.

I am not sure, but it sounds like it is a different version of the adjuster that connects the rocker arm to the valve stem. It seems it is machined differently so that it maintains proper contact with the top of the valve stem.