Moto Guzzi 650 Lario?

Guest Bruce

While in the-middle-of-no-where Vermont I ran across a red 650 Lario in the front window of a dry goods store. It is in mint condition other than it hasn't run in many years. As it turned out the story's proprietor is the original owner, bought the bike in 1985 and put on about 3000 miles in 20 years!

He didn't seem all that interested in the bike and said he put it in the window because he had no where else to store it. I don't know if he'd sell it but he is concerned it would cost alot to get it running and also told me no one locally would work on it.

Anyhow its a really cool looking bike ( looks alot like the Kawi 550 GPz from that era ). Anyone here familiar with the bike? For sure it needs tires, a battery, and most of the rubber and plastic bits replaced. I might be interested if it's a worthwhile project and I can get parts. What are the chances the seals and gaskets are shot?

Although I am trying to simplify my life this bike really got my attention.

While in the-middle-of-no-where Vermont I ran across a red 650 Lario in the front window of a dry goods store. It is in mint condition other than it hasn't run in many years. As it turned out the story's proprietor is the original owner, bought the bike in 1985 and put on about 3000 miles in 20 years!

He didn't seem all that interested in the bike and said he put it in the window because he had no where else to store it. I don't know if he'd sell it but he is concerned it would cost alot to get it running and also told me no one locally would work on it.

Anyhow its a really cool looking bike ( looks alot like the Kawi 550 GPz from that era ). Anyone here familiar with the bike? For sure it needs tires, a battery, and most of the rubber and plastic bits replaced. I might be interested if it's a worthwhile project and I can get parts. What are the chances the seals and gaskets are shot?

72902[/snapback]

I used to have one in the 80s- my first ever Guzzi. The bike was good for just over 120mph and used to annoy my mates on RD350s because it was just as fast as them.

There is some scaremongering on Guzzi forums about Larios because the 4 valve motor was not as reliable as the 2 valvers. Mine was fine for about 20,000 miles of thrashing before I needed some work to the top end.

Tyre sizes are weird- both 16 inch wheels so check out availibility.

A great little fun bike.

Guy :helmet:

Guest ratchethack
While in the-middle-of-no-where Vermont I ran across a red 650 Lario in the front window of a dry goods store. It is in mint condition other than it hasn't run in many years.... Although I am trying to simplify my life this bike really got my attention.

72902[/snapback]

It's only "scaremongering" if it has no basis in fact. They were notorious for dropping valves. If you're simplifying your life, a Lario doesn't fit this picture, no matter how nice it looks. Many of 'em have very low mileage because it's very hard to find anyone who knows anything about them AND who will also actually work on 'em. I reckon it's found it's most useful purpose right where it is. :(

BAA TJM & YMMV

EDIT: Not sure if this is 100% "Kosher", but I don't think Pete would mind me quoting him entirely in context:

"The 650's especially the Lario are fairly fragile and shed valve heads like confetti given the slightest encouragement. There are a variety of suggested ways to address this problem but I still believe that the best way to approach a 4 valve smallblock is wearing a suit of medieval armour and carrying a garbage pail lid to deflect the frag!"

Pete

Hi all !!

A buddy of mine has a very nice 650 Lario, He enjoys taking it out on the twisties and giving the guys on the SV 650's the fits. though he does say that it's hard work, as its a very heavy steering bike ? His has a set of very open BUB pipes that sound trully good (you can hear him wail for a couple of miles) and the thing seems it seems to be pretty trouble free.

best part is, ITS A :mg:

:bier:

Cheers

Van

It's only "scaremongering" if it has no basis in fact. 

72907[/snapback]

What I meant was if you were to believe every comment then it sounded as if your bike was going to explode the moment you rode it!

I used to do 120mph flat out every morning on the way to work and as a young lad, was not very mechanicaly sympathetic and used to thrash it from cold so I think I probably caused the damage.

Trouble is if we accepted every every negative comment about a Guzzi we would all be paranoid never ride them and always be in the garage worrying what is going to break next.

I just like to get out there and ride 'em!

Guy :)

In Norway both the 650 Lario and the tiny 350 (!) actually is quite popular among the veterans of the MG owners club, and also with some of the girls because theyre so small (the bikes, that is).

There's four or five on sale at the moment. Lots of mods keep them running, among them is fitting a 750 Nevada engine. The owners.... bearded garage hobbits all of them... :luigi:

:huh2: i love the look of the v50 monza,,so cute like a le mans mk 3 baby. know a girl who has both v50 v65 . she loves them both but sooner ride 65.

In Norway both the 650 Lario and the tiny 350 (!) actually is quite popular among the veterans of the MG owners club, and also with some of the girls because theyre so small (the bikes, that is).

There's four or five on sale at the moment. Lots of mods keep them running, among them is fitting a 750 Nevada engine. The owners.... bearded garage hobbits all of them...  :luigi:

72962[/snapback]

...Anyone here familiar with the bike? For sure it needs tires, a battery, and most of the rubber and plastic bits replaced. I might be interested if it's a worthwhile project and I can get parts. What are the chances the seals and gaskets are shot?

72902[/snapback]

iirc the pertinent section from Guzziology correctly [old borrowed copy, since ret'd.; have yet to purchase my own, current one], the 4v Lario smallblock had some major valve gear issues, finally corrected by properly heat-treated components [shades of the hydro- big block story, almost 20yrs later!] arriving too late to save the small blocks' rep. The Lario's also suffered from finish (paint? plastic?) issues (must be garaged or they get old fast. What bike doesn't follow this pattern to some degree or other?)

If the owner can show proof that the retrofit valve parts are in there, you're in like Flynn. If not, they're going to be hard to source 20 years after they were in limited production. Beyond those caveats, the bikes were definitely good performers for their day, as others have already indicated.

Unless you're fairly mechanical yourself, I'd advise extreme caution.

:mg:

Thanks for the inputs all. Sounds like a great bike if it doesn't blow up :lol: . Although I'd like to add a cool mid size to the garage I'll pass on this one.

• 11 years later...

Hi to all. I'm brand new to this forum. I live in Vermont and now own the V65 Lario that Guest Bruce saw in the shop window. I put about 100 miles on it. I intend to sell it. I was wondering how much it might be worth. 

Hi to all. I'm brand new to this forum. I live in Vermont and now own the V65 Lario that Guest Bruce saw in the shop window. I put about 100 miles on it. I intend to sell it. I was wondering how much it might be worth. 

Uhhh, how much gas is in the tank? 

I *love* the Lario, but they are hard to sell. A guy near me tried to sell his pristine Lario for $2500 for years without a nibble. I don't know what it eventually sold for. It takes a dedicated enthusiast to want one. The one I have showed signs of having blown up twice when I got it at 18000 miles. Because of this, heads are very difficult to find. They not only dropped (mostly) exhaust valves, they also wiped cam lobes. 

I *wanted* the one I bought, and gave $1700 for it as a runner, but it had already had the mandatory rear drive mod and valve mod done.

It wiped a cam lobe 5000 miles later.  :whistle:

I really enjoyed fooling with the 4 valve engine, but when an Aero engine became available, it became a no brainer to go for it. More power *and* reliability.

So, what's it worth?? Whatever someone will pay.  :huh2:  If yours is a stock original that needs completely gone through, I'll throw a dart and say a thousand. Your best bet would probably be to float it out on Ebay and see.

One came up for sale here, I felt obliged to buy it. pretty high mileage I think, Tupperware is all cracked.

Not bad to ride but at the point where it needs major work so I'll probably just move it along after fixing a few things