Pork Chop Removal for Powdercoating

Guest ckamin

Guest ckamin

I think I asked for some advice on this a while back (I forget!) but I wanted to share my experiences for all of you ponder....

My red (anondized?) porkchops hadn't actually started to fade, but the paint DID start to lift from the surface and crack, which is just SOOOO uncool. It wouldn't be long before it all started to chip off, so I thought powdercoating would be the way to go, and I am glad I did. I couldn't be any happier with the results.

I started by securing the bike on a Craftsman bike lift. The left side muffler, rear wheel, and differential all came off with ease. It just seemed to take a while to get it all done safely, but it wasn't mechanically taxing.

Since the rear tail is supported in the center by the rear of the bike's frame and the swingarm is attached to the shock in the middle, I chose to powdercoat only one porkchop at a time. This way, the other sould be left on the bike to keep the tail and swingarm supported from one of the two sides. The downside is that it keeps the bike tied up an extra week or two, but in my case it didn't make a difference.

Once again, I had no problems with removing the porkchops. Each came off easily. A little squirt of WD40 on the bolts before hand might have helped a bit, also. With the proper hex head sockets and open end wrenches, removal and reassembly wasn't all that dificult (again, more time consuming than anything).

Andrews Powder Coating (Powdercoater.com) did a fantastic job with a quick turnaround. They are in Canoga Park, California. Rates are reasonable, service was great, and I couldn't be happier (well, unless they paid ME to do the work!). I had my pieces done flat black, which really complement the silver/black/grey theme of the bike.

Since I am a lame-o, I don't know how to post pics of my bike here. If anyone would like some pics, please send me your e-mail address. Or, better yet, who can I send my pics to that can post them here for me? Yeah, I know, I am a retard!

Please feel free to ask any specifics. This is definitely one thing that was worth my time and $.

-Carl

Guest Gregory grasshopper

The previous owner of mine had them polished - looks good with the champagne colour, and don't need too much attention with the solvol to keep them smart.

cheers, Graeme.

The previous owner of mine had them polished - looks good with the champagne colour, and don't need too much attention with the solvol to keep them smart.

cheers, Graeme.

73132[/snapback]

I'll be doing the polished thing too. Mine are getting pretty fugly between the padock stand abuse and Luigi's poor pre-paint prep. The paint seems to be lifting in chuncks... Just a matter of time before I say enough :bbblll:

I just go here

http://www.imageshack.us/

The way I did it with big in small images was tricky because I have not figured out how to use their thumbnail locations.

To post at imageshack,

just go there,

click on browse,

browse to your files,

host the files,

copy the link,

go back to our forum,

start a reply or post,

click on IMG button,

paste the link and click OK

add your reply

imageshack allows you to resize the images, which is a good idea, to help our friend who have slow internet connections....

This site may be even better than imageshack

http://www.imagevenue.com/

but I have not tried it yet...

th_c6a64_guzzi1logo.jpg

EDIT

Hmmm that works!

I guess I did it the hard way.

So, I guess I'll start using imagevenue now!

I had my porkchops powder coated in black. Looks great on the Scura together with the black sparkplug cables that I also added.

See the Gallery for more pics or my webshots

Cheers

Søren

cheers, Graeme.

73132[/snapback]

I'd like to see how they look polished. Do you have any pics?

CK - the powdercoating looks really nice :thumbsup: How did they match the colors so well?

Guest ckamin

The ceramic coating for the two header pipes and the Stucchi x-over was about $150 with a 2 week turnaround. The powdercoating for the porkchops was roughly the same cost but turnaround, if done together, would have been slightly quicker (1 to 1 and a half weeks?).

I used Jet Hot (http://www.jet-hot.com/index.html) ceramic coating but I think HPC (http://www.hpcoatings.com/) is comaparable. I have no specific reason for choosing one over the other but couldn't be happier. Ironically, Andrew's Powder Coating (who did my porkchops) is a "licensed" dealer/distributor for Jet Hot (read: middleman) but I went straight through Jet Hot.

I had both done flat black and the match, though not intentional, worked out great. I think there is a red ceramic coating color, but I am not sure. Best to check with them....

Uh oh, wife is calling....

-Carl