''TOP TEN''

g.forrest

''interesting to read recently a poll conducted in the us found that the following 10 were named by the panel of judges. 1. honda cub 50. 2. ducati 916. 3.honda cb 750. 4. y2k jet bike. 5.piaggio vespa. 6.triumph bonneville. 7.britten. 8.moto guzzi v8. 9.brough superior ss 100. 10. harley knucklehead. well perhaps we could conduct our own poll, it could be a bit of light relief from global warming. but would it attract as much discussion? :rolleyes:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that's right. hehe I wonder what's the purpose of those pools?Since the results`seem to be just out of drunken lads.

Now , has anyone of them Driven the V8? So how can they vote it for what it was.

That it definatelly was something ,but the who can have a pont about anything if they have not riden it, that's what I mean. c028.gif

I believe this tv program listed these as the top 10 BEST bikes. I'm not sure I would use the word best. Perhaps the 10 most influential machines/bikes of all time. Using this means of judgement, I'd have to say I mostly agree with the list. All of these bikes have had a specific dramatic influence on motorcycling. Where they place on the list is about the only thing I may have issue with on some.

The 10 Best?? Well, this thread could go on indefinitely based on the great experiences different people have had with various different bikes. And being a V11/Lemans forum specifically, and a Guzzi site in general, well, we'll just see how the thread leans.

Ciao, Steve G.

Holy crap! Is that thing real? Any links about it?

Best bike ever right here baby, turns on a round-a-bout if you really lean it in, Stops in 3 city blocks and goes from zero to 60 in 7 minutes.

Fat_tire.jpg

eh I Was looking for that huge rat bike but this'll do.

74894[/snapback]

My personal "drool" list in no particular order:

Vincent Black Lightning

Gilera inline 4 GP bike

Norton Manx

John Player Norton

Benelli Sei (The engine was built in Mandello)

Britten

Moto Guzzi V-8

Ducati 750 SS

MV Agusta 500-3

Laverda 750 SFC

:bier: my personal drool..i like that. this could be the best 10 iv'e drooled over. :D '' a good list.. :bier:

My personal "drool" list in no particular order:

Vincent Black Lightning

Gilera inline 4 GP bike

Norton Manx

John Player Norton

Benelli Sei (The engine was built in Mandello)

Britten

Moto Guzzi V-8

Ducati 750 SS

MV Agusta 500-3

Laverda 750 SFC

74904[/snapback]

:food: mmmm it's not that easy.. [1] dkw 125]as it spawned so many copies.[2] manx norton. the legends who rode them. [3] honda cb 750. it changed the world. [3] triumph bonneville. it changed the world. [4] brough superior ss100. lawrance. [5]tz 350 yamaha. it changed racing.[6] the britten.for the man.[7] harley davidson 750 side valve. as it did so many things. [8]bmw boxer all..as it went around the world probably more than any other brand. [9] kawasaki z 900. because i'll never forget my first ride on one. [10] honda rc 166. just because.quote=g.forrest,Jan 19 2006, 09:34 PM]

:bier: my personal drool..i like that. this could be the best 10 iv'e drooled over. :D '' a good list.. :bier:

74910[/snapback]

from ones I have ridden (bearing in mind the year it was introduced)

10. 1989 Ducati 906 - quirky, but the big Desmo was back! (had one in yellow, before ducati went all yellow...)

9. 1988 Kawasaki GPX 250,many good & simple reasonwhy this will become the longest produced Kwaka

8. Kawasaki KR1-S - well if I was building a 2stroke racer, this would be close to it, a real nutter of an engine with ZZR-600 brakes!

7. 1977 900ss , a classic racer...registered for the road, raw, instinctive

6. KTM 990 Superduke, not just the performance, but soooo easy to ride.....fast

5. Moto Guzzi V11 Scura - refined, but with an old world appeal, modern enough

4. 2003 Husaberg 650 - faaaaark!! , how was this registered learner legal?!

3. 1994 Ducati 916 - all it was meant to be, hard for me to overate

2. Moto Guzzi V50 III - light, flickable, undervalued...this is what pointed me towards europe

1. 2000 KTM Duke, single minded but still looks like a well designed concept bike, collectible in it's own right.

all owned at one stage...

still   nr. 1...The mighty  V8...

That Guzzi V8 was remarkable for its time, and belongs on any top 10 list in my book, but much more remarkable for its time was the 136mph V8 motorcycle built and ridden by American aviation pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss of Hercules Motorcycles in 1907-- that's right, 1907.

Read more about Curtiss here:

Click Here

Harley was still making singles in 1907. Indian had just introduced its first V-twin in 1906. Indian would later dominate board track racing in the 1910's with this 4-valve/cyl V-twin racer:

ClasJul_600.jpg

Motor_600.jpg

Valves_600.jpg

You're looking at a 90mph+ moped.

The first Norton Twin to win the Isle of Man in 1907 averaged 36mph.

And the first Guzzi was 14 years away, and the first BMW was 16 years away.

The Curtiss V8 and Indian "8-valver" belong ahead of any of the bikes mentioned thus far, IMHO.

EDIT: I also want to add a third bike to this list-- the Cyclone OHC bike (Minnesota) of 1914. All three of these bikes belong at the top of any list:

1. 1907 Curtiss V8 Racer (136mph LSR)

2. 1912 Indian V-twin "8-valver"

3. 1914 Cyclone V-twin OHC

Multiple cylinders, multiple valves, and overhead cams went on to dominate racing and performance motorcycling throughout the remainder of the century. These technologies were later exploited by the British, German, and Italians of latter years, much to their credit. But the early Americans (engineers of European heritage in most cases) were out of the gate first with the biggest, baddest, and fastest. (cue "America the Beautiful")

Helps to put things in perspective, eh?

Here here!! Board track racing was THE shit. To race on the slats they must have had some serious brass balls. The bikes were extremely impressive for their time.

Compare racing then to now, specifically the crashing. Then - you go down, you likely stay down. For good. Now - You go down, the main question is wether you'll be able to use your forward momentum to stand up at the end or not...

Rj

I's add the Laverda Jota 180 to the lists, and maybe the Honda 500 Turbo??

75098[/snapback]

Ugh, why do people think an 180° triple is a good thing. These engines feel like a misfiring four. The later 120° engine is better.