Car Bike combos

Jock Guzzi

When I was 17 and first passed my bike only driving license, I remember saying to my mates at school that I would never need to pass my car test as I never wanted to have a car. However necessity eventually dictated that I needed a car license and so by the time I was 24 I had sat and passed my car test.

However I never had to buy my own car (lucky enough always to have company cars) until 3 years ago, when in my fortieth year I became self employed, and actually had to face up to the prospect of buying my own car. Now by this time I had owned my first V11 for a couple of years and its fair to say that the "Guzzi" experience had started to shape and indeed narrow down my target list. I wanted performance, handling and that magical ingredient called character and therefore by default, I concluded it had to be Italian. Maserati (the cool mans Ferrari of course) however was a wee bit out of my price range. So that only left one other option, Alfa Romeo (Fiat Coupe now being too long in the tooth I might add).

Having started with a 156 2.5V6, I’m now on a 156 GTA 3.2 V6 and if I can’t go by bike it’s fair to say it’s not the worst place to be sound and performance wise.

So how has your bike influenced your car choice…if of course you have been unlucky enough to have to spend your hard earned cash on a car in the first place.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 4x4 3/4 ton pickup truck. Totally unrelated to my biking styles. It is necessary for most of the places I go to work and great for camping trips. Not very appropriate for city use unless picking up lumber or such.

I once had a 1968 Camaro SS 350 - many years ago. Closest to an Italian car was my ex wifes Renault Gordini. I ripped all the smog kit off it and changed the exhaust. It would top out at an indicates 125 mph and was a blast to drive.

In a way bikes have influenced my car choice- once you have enjoyed even the modest performance of a Guzzi, a normal car seems very slow in comparison so I always tend to go for fast cars.

My current drive (company car) is a Subaru Impreza WRX which is excellent in winter, especially in the wet and snow. I chose this becuase many of my work journeys were over deserted moorland where the weather turns quickly in winter.

I would like to own an Italian car but they do not feature on my company car list because of the rapid depreciation plus I only like either 4 wheel drive or rear wheel drive cars and they tend to be front wheel drive.

Guy :helmet:

hmmm guzzi is aircooled so is my car.....

a 1969 VW beetle if i want to go fast it's the bike go slow (and low) take the car....

love the new alfa GT!!!!!!!! just a bit pricy

Ciao

I spend far too much moolah on gas guzzlers.

I keep a ford ranger pick up diesel ,which is about the only practical thing I own.

My other toy is a an old porsche 911 964, great fun, but it's not a bike, And in Vancouver I own a 1965 Chevy Corvair. It's a 2.5 litre rear engined flat six soft top, which gives me a real reason to visit the in-laws!

Cars are a thing to carry you and your tools from A to B, with the minimum outlay in purchase and running cost in exchange for the maximum comfort. If I'm not working, a car is for my wife to drive me around in if the whole family has to go places.

Skoda Octavia diesel with automatic gearbox.

Hold on to your seats, I drive a.....Civic!! But, hey, with a round trip freeway commute of 90 miles, you can't beat the reliability or economy. My wife drives a '05 Land Rover LR3. Nice car, but it has been in the dealer more times in 6 months/8000 miles for repairs than the car it replaced, '01 Ford Expedition with about 80,000 miles. By the way, the Ford was starting to fall apart so I wanted to replace it before it started to really suck money from our pockets, and now we visit the dealer more than we ever had! Thank goodness for warranties!

-Carl

F250 4x4 diesel and Crown Victoria (hey, :huh2: I'm 49)(it's the wife's car). k

Most days: 4x4 Jeep Cherokee ( the 'Scout Buggy')

Nice days: Ford SVT Contour ( Mondeo) - fun to toss around, still hauls the family and paid for.

Wife's ride: Volvo V70 T5 - mini money magnet, but a good solid ride. She loves it.

Most wanted: Maserati ( can't get ALFA here anymore).

More likely: Porsche Boxster - or maybe a Cayman S in a" few years".

yep you got it... it had to be an Alfa as well for me.

for the price , the performance & character it's hard to beat.

first a $3000 Alfetta GTV (always took the long way round), then a 1972 105 & now an absolute performance & luxury bargain black, manual, 164. (last of the Alfa-Alfas if you know what I mean).

Alfa V6s can be more exciting than other makes' V8s.

never want to have a garage without some Alfa I have decided.

same can be said of a Guzzi really :bier:

thanks for the interesting post, I always love an excuse to chat about Alfa Romeo.

n_s_S!

I have a 2002 charcoal grey Ford ZX2. I dont like to drive a car very much since I've gotten into bikes so its just for work, groceries, etc. I bought it new in dec 01 & it only has 39k miles on it. I'd like a luxury car for more comfort but I cant see spending my bike money on a car.

Do my cars match my Guzzi's? No way! I can get parts for my Toyotas. :D

2004 Toyota Prius

2004 Toyota Tundra - long bed V6

2005 Ural Patrol "Ksyusha"

2001 MG V11 Sport TT "FrankenSport"

1997 MG Sport 1100i "Bright Red Italian Bugswatter"

1997 MG California 1100i

1971 MG Ambassador - box stock as in pieces, in boxes

Perhaps not the most eclectic assortment of vehicles to own, but they're all paid for. :sun: