Swing Arm Bearings

Guest redguzziv10

Knowing that we are going to beat the livin' $#!+ out'a this swingarm tomorrow to try and get the bearings out, I decided to anchor the captured nuts for the hugger and end-trim pieces. Pretty sure they would be destroyed, otherwise.

IMG_2684.JPG

I'm not sure what you are trying to prevent there... I just put mine on a rubber mat. If you tie off one end - like to a trailer hitch - then you can slide hammer away without moving the part on the floor. 

Tying off to a hitch sounds like a good idea. I definitely don't have a vice this secure.

The small, captured, threaded fasteners inside the swing arm for the hugger and the aft trim pieces don't all look well attached in my swingarm (a couple are a bit *crooked*).  I would expect a serious session of beating the fire out of this thing would be likely to dislodge them. I still use both the hugger and the trim pieces, so I would rather not trash those fasteners in this process. Hence, the pictured capture method using Nylon spacers and cinching the fasteners up tight. A *precaution*, if you will.

Hold my beer, sit in the Italian-flag-themed lawn-chair section... and watch this.

But is that an electric heat gun? You may need some serious heat, like a plumber's gas torch.

Feelin' all froggy here. :drink:

Thanks, ya'll, for all the insights and assistance! :thumbsup::luigi:

Seems that the five or six repeated sessions of heat and ATF/acetone are good medicine, as is tying off to sturdy "anchor point."

• Like 1

There's an internal bearing puller that I've used on Airheads.  Think of something like a concrete anchor bolt with a frame around it. You insert the expanding part into the bearing center hole, fit the frame, then crank the bolt to withdraw the bearing.

Can't think of the German brand name right now, will have to remember to look this evening. 

You know, once the penetrating oils and heat and pounding had its effects, one of the bearings feels near perfect and the other is *not bad*.

I think they suffer from not actually moving very much.