Paul's "tail" and Tekno Bags

al_roethlisberger

Here's a question in regard to Paul's very nice tail kit(carapace, LED light) in regard to useability with the Tekno(and others?) bags.

Jaap, this should be very relevant for you since you have the bags as I recall, and have ordered Paul's kit.

So, for those that own the Tekno bags, you know that part of the frame bolts to the license and OEM fender bracket to hold everything firm and aligned. With Paul's kit, this subframe is eliminated, and thus a significant portion of the Tekno frame cannot mount to anything, without modification.

Jaap, have you given this much thought?

I suppose one could build a kit to support the Tekno frame in lieu of the OEM bracket....

al

Al: Yes, your thoughts have crossed my mind.

I have a brother who can weld anything to anything (as long as it is iron or steel) He's going to produce a special bracket to bolt the two Tekno frame parts together. The weight of the bags is only carried by the other two mounting points so the new bracket is only there to stiffen the two frame parts up.

Pictures when ready!

(A kit could be an idea...)

...yes indeed, a "kit" would be a great idea as there are several "tail-light/fender eliminator" kits out there now that pose the same challenge.

I'd buy one if it's reasonable, and nice looking. It should in reality be no more than a 6 inch or so black bar/rod with eyes on the end for the bolts. Anyone could make one, but a premade, measured, and powdercoated one would be an easy sell I would think.

:thumbsup:

Hi Paul,

hrmm, no I'm sorry I didn't. I looked around just now and didn't see an example of a V11 Sport/LeMans with your tail and side bags mounted. The only photo I saw had the tail rack.

BTW, I'm quite certain that mounting bags would not be a problem with your tail. I was just pointing out that without the stock mudflap, and it's corresponding subframe, there's going to need to be some modification and fabrication of a bracket, et al... for most bag kits to mount, as many mounted to that subframe which is now eliminated.

I think Jaap's comments about fabricating a bar to tie the two sides of the rack together will be fine, although there may be some issues with side-to-side swaying of the whole rig since it will now have no anchor for that axis, where in the past it was anchored from lateral movement by bolting to the tail.

Just something to consider and work around when combining bags and any of the kits that eliminate the tail I guess :)

al

Joure correct Al, I meant indeed the rack, and I was thinking als bags hang of a rack, I don't know how that bags from Jaap are mounted, or which point it is attaching to. Hanging on the numberplate???

Is there a picture somewhere online where I can see clearly how it's mounted?

...as an aside, I just ran across this ad on Cycle Trader:

2002 Le Mans with HB bags

It appears that these are Hepco Becker bags, and the installation looks stock. Does HB, or even Givi, actually make a stock rack kit now, versus having to custom build a rig?

al

oops... here's the answer :P

Hepco Becker Bags at MG Cycle

...and I just noticed that Ian has the HB bags on his LeMans from back in February of this year. But from his photos, the only thing I don't like about the kit is that its close clearances require moving the rear turn signals... ah well, I guess that's to be expected :)

Paul,

Is there a picture somewhere online where I can see clearly how it's mounted?

Sorry, I didn't see this question until now...

....hrmm, I don't know of a photo. But yes, each side of the Tekno bag rack mounts in the rear to the bolts that attach the inner portion of the fender to the mud flap... behind the license plate. These brackets mount about 5 inches below the actual tail, and tie the 2 sides of the rack together, reinforcing them laterally as they aren't a one-piece affair.

There really isn't anything you could do with your tail kit to amend this though, except maybe providing access into the tail superstructure from below so we could mount a new bracket/subframe for these racks while mounted(or alternately the owner could just drill through the bottom of the tail to get to the frame, and plug the holes when not in use). But primarily it's really an issue with the rack kit, and can be easily remedied with an aftermarket rod/bar with eye ends or a custom built bracket. But the best solution would still be some way to also tie it to the tail while mounted otherwise one may still get lateral movement of the rack as-a-whole, again maybe with a custom built bracket that bolts on to the tail frame through the tail when needed.

al

• 1 year later...
Guest ckamin

I am in Californnia, which has a relatively small license plate. I used a dremel tool with a cutting disc to "chop off" the 4-5 inch section of mudguard below the license plate. Therefore, you get to see more of the tire and losing the mounting points for the Tekno bgas (which I have) isn't an issue.

Plus, you don't need to buy a relocation kit.