'nother new guy

Guest Rawkus

Hey all, just doing a little research on the V11s. I've recently become smitten with them. Used ones are hard to come by it seems. I see some now '04s from Moto International in Seattle and I may have to road trip up there. Thanks to Al_R for pointing me here from Sport-touring.net.

Although I'm in lust with the Goose I am a bit afraid of them as the dealer network is smaller but many owners discuss how qwerky they are and prone to annoyances (some of which can leave you stranded). I am used to Jap bikes (owned many of them) but the lure of the Euros is calling me. I am trying to decide between the Speed Triple, R1150R or V11.

I want the fun back in real world speeds. I don't go on long tours anymore. I commute and ride on the weekends for a few hours in the local twisties. My ZZR1200 loafs along at low speeds and can seem somewhat sedate until you wack the throttle. I want to go 60 and have that sensation of speed and a big shit eating grin on my face, know what I mean? Seems like the bikes on my list will get me there.

Rawkus

I'll trade you my v11 for your zzr1200 for a weekend  :D Just kidding, the v11 is the best looking most exclusive bike of the ones you're interested in getting.

78105[/snapback]

Care to share your love of the V11? Meaning what makes it the one for you, then what you don't like about it? TIA

I was the same as you,really fancied one,but had heard some horror stories.

Now I have one,I can appreciate why the guys on the forum told me not to worry about the mechanical side of things. They can break down or have a failure of some kind,but so can any bike.(Ask the owner of the BMW k1200 I was chatting to in the petrol station the other day,4 months old and 12 breakdowns)

Basically,if you can feed yourself,you can fix a V11.Even guys with little or no mechanical experience can do it,once the initial fears about it are overcome.

This forum is an absolutely brilliant source of advice and help.We may have different viewpoints on everything else,but if you post a question,there's tons of advice.

The best bit of all is cracking the throttle,getting that soundtrack and the feeling of satisfaction that is all too lacking in other machines.

"It's a what?" "Yeah,but who makes it?" There aren't many about,another bonus in my opinion.

Try and get a run on one before you buy,if poss.It'll either suit you or you wont suit it.They're a bit different to jap stuff.Quirky.

A bit like the folk on here,so. :D

Guzzis are a great machine, I have owned a lot of bikes and the quality of the Guzzi is right there with anybody. The problems they have are for the most part minor and many deal with personal preferences rather than mechanical difficultys. Big j was right problems can occur with any machine and all brands.

The dealer network here in the states is a problem but boards like this help bridge the gap and and people are very helpful in directing you to the resources you need. I have 2 Guzzis one old one new and like them both, very unique and a blast to ride. Somebody described the Guzzi as one of those few bikes out there with a "soul", try to get ride on one and I think your decision will be made.

waspp

Guzzis are a great machine, I have owned a lot of bikes and the quality of the Guzzi is right there with anybody. The problems they have are for the most part minor and many deal with personal preferences rather than mechanical difficultys. Big j was right problems can occur with any machine and all brands.

The dealer network here in the states is a problem but boards like this help bridge the gap and and people are very helpful in directing you to the resources you need. I have 2 Guzzis one old one new and like them both, very unique and a blast to ride. Somebody  described the Guzzi as one of those few bikes out there with a "soul", try to get ride on one and I think your decision will be made.

waspp

78171[/snapback]

I have a great Guzzi/Triumph Dealership real close that sells Brevas mostly. He really was adamant (sp?) that if I can't put with annoyance (he knows I come from the jap side) that I'll just be ticked off and should have bought another Honda (I ride Kawi btw).

Rawkus welcome on the forum.

In Holland we love rauw kus..... :P

78198[/snapback]

I need a translation, babelfish can't figure it out. :D

There's no comparing a Guzzi to anything.

The locamotive torque of a HD and the handling of a Duc

for all PRACTICAL purposes.

Chug through a small town @ 2500 RPMs or

carve 80mph sweepers on rails.

Walk down the "way out there" roads at 100+mph relaxed and in stride.

Best all around fun, satisfying, big grinn bike out there.

Problems are all little niggling things like relays (15.$ to replace them all)

vapor lock/ tank suck, some need a shift spring replaced (1 hr.)

grounding...kick stand and clutch cut out switch...little stuff.

Hang around this board and you'll have 'em all strightened out by spring.

The R1150R is a great machine but dosent have the Shake Rattle and Roll

of the V11 so it deepends on if your a Paul McCartney or Keith Richards type.

:D

There's no comparing a Guzzi to anything.

The locamotive torque of a HD and the handling of a Duc

for all PRACTICAL purposes.

Chug through a small town @ 2500 RPMs or

carve 80mph sweepers on rails.

Walk down the "way out there" roads at 100+mph relaxed and in stride.

Best all around fun, satisfying, big grinn bike out there.

Problems are all little niggling things like relays (15.$ to replace them all)

vapor lock/ tank suck, some need a shift spring replaced (1 hr.)

grounding...kick stand and clutch cut out switch...little stuff.

Hang around this board and you'll have 'em all strightened out by spring.

The R1150R is a great machine but dosent have the Shake Rattle and Roll

of the V11 so it deepends on if your a Paul McCartney or Keith Richards type.

:D

78233[/snapback]

Got a call from Moto International. They are trying to get the attached image in and let me know. :helmet:

Now the real question, why buy the V11 over the Breva 1100? The V11 stirs my soul looks wise way more than the Breva does.

post-2328-1139703949_thumb.jpg

They only want $7900 for a brand new crated '04, seems like a good deal to me.

Hellova deal.Try before you buy,but that's very good value.

Moto Guzzi V11, the only bike I've owned that I'll leave at the back door after a run,relax with a beer and gaze at for a while.

Mushy shite I know,but I just love it's lines.