April 22nd Return to Parkfield Lunch Meet

there was enough rain that I almost ditched the Aprilia !! :grin:

we should either meet at the same starbucks (580 & 680) as last year, or down towards San Jose for breakfast w/ Hal..

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those headed Southbound from points north of San Jose, I asume the main corridors will be 280, 680, 880, 101. I'm looking for a good central spot if any would like to meet for breakfast before arriving in Hollister. Imelda has offered to cook up some eggs and bacon and such if anyone inclined. I'm just .05 miles from 280/880 and maybe 3 from 680/101.

She would enjoy meeting some of you.

Let me know your thoughts.

-Hal

I talk to computers and I'm happy! I put a cramp aversion thing on my Ducati throttle -- -- and tried it out tonight -- -- my arm kills me but I'm not going to miss this ride... now Mark, you are planning on leaving Starbucks at around 10 a.m. -- -- right?

Tom -- -- anybody know if Steve Hubbard is coming? From the EV fame?

She would enjoy meeting some of you.

Let me know your thoughts.

My thoughts? while she may enjoy meeting some of us, she'll probably recoil at meeting most of us !!!! ;-)

forecast is for rain

Well it is suppost to be raining in the Bay area this morning and it's not :huh2: Tomorrow the forcast is chance of light sprinkles in the morning and clearing in the afternoon. But, I am no whether man :lol:

So, if it is not pouring rain tomorrow morning, I am still game.

Tim, shoot me your telephone number so I can reach you just incase something comes up out of my control.

Tim, What time do you want to meet at Starbucks in San Ramone? 7.15 -7.30am ?

My home number is 510-531-0362, cell 510-418-7243

Hal,

Thanks for the offer, since we don't know if the ride will be rained out or if we will be soaked, perhaps meeting at a resturant would be better. We can do breakfast at your place when the weather is more predictable :food:

Either way, just need some directions and meet times.

Mike

I talk to computers and I'm happy!  I put a cramp aversion thing on my Ducati throttle -- -- and tried it out tonight -- -- my arm kills me but I'm not going to miss this ride... now Mark, you are planning on leaving Starbucks at around 10 a.m. -- -- right?

Tom -- -- anybody know if Steve Hubbard is coming?  From the EV fame?

86749[/snapback]

10:00 is the planned departure from Starbucks, but we have adequate time that we can dawdle a bit if need be.

Unfortunately, Steve and his mighty Blue EV will not be able to make it.

Hollister forecast says 45% chance of rain before 8 AM. After that it's 35% chance. In my experience in this area if they say less than 50% it means its not going to rain. Let's hope it holds true.

Temps call for mid 50's to mid 60's later in the day. If we stay dry it ought to be a fantastic day for riding.

Leading up to this it appeared that there was going to be a fairly large group of people descending on Parkfield, but our seemingly endless winter gloom scared off quite a few. The forecast was for a chance of showers with cloud cover and mid 50's to mid 60's temps. It turned out to be low to mid 50's most of the day and we had but one very brief (~2 minutes) sighting of the sun all day. Despite the gloom, the ride down from Hollister was great and the roads were all in much better condition than I expected given the rains we've had.

The only folks that came from the south were Lex, who lives not too far away, and Truong who made it all the way from the LA area. They were already done eating when we showed up (late) and left soon after. The rest all bailed at the last minute to go ride in the San Diego area where it was warmer.

Here is a pic of the Norcal contingent out in front of the Parkfield Cafe.

dscn08351ns.jpg

Left to Right we had John who is serving his country at the Presidio in Monterey (Cafe Sport), Diane and her Husband Marty (750 Breva and one sweet Daytona), Greg (another Breva), Hal (Loveley Coppa with those awesome Ti Pipes), Marina our fearless moderator (seldom washed Stone), and Mike Stewart who was getting in his first good ride since being injured on the track months ago (Lemans Rosso Corsa)

Although it was a smaller turnout than expected, I did get to meet 4 more local Guzzi riders who will hopefully join us for future rides.

It was Thang (not Truong) from LA but it's no big deal. I had a great time. It was a little cold but not too bad. I arrived in the central coast fairly early and had a chance to ride some of the better roads. It was exciting and therapeutic. I was rained on for less than 30 minutes for the entire trip/day.

Thanks Mark for setting this all up. Hope we have another one of these soon.

It was good to meet Lex again and Tod Rafferty for the first time. Good stories.

536 miles round trip - great one day excursion.

Thang

It was Thang (not Truong) from LA but it's no big deal.  I had a great time.  It was a little cold but not too bad.  I arrived in the central coast fairly early and had a chance to ride some of the better roads.  It was exciting and therapeutic.  I was rained on for less than 30 minutes for the entire trip/day.

Thanks Mark for setting this all up.  Hope we have another one of these soon.

It was good to meet Lex again and Tod Rafferty for the first time.  Good stories.

536 miles round trip - great one day excursion.

Thang

87133[/snapback]

Another thanks to Mark for setting things up. Aside from some poor planning on my part (we should have met at 11:00 or made a longer loop) it was nice to get to know Thang, a good day for a ride (OK, a little wet but this year I'll take any day without major rainfall) and nice see everybody. :bier:

I was hoping we would have more time together, while he isn't Marty the Bonneville guy Tod just got back from test riding the Breva 1100 and Griso at the factory and I'm sure he would have been happy to talk about the adventure. I don't know if anybody caught it but the sweater he was wearing was a gift (bribe?) from Guzzi he was given while he was over there. I want that job, fly some place interesting, test to cool bikes and be given bribes to write nice things. :grin:

Lex

Greetings!

I ended up taking the long way home; headed southwest to Cambria, and then up Rt 1 for about 100 miles or so. 'Twas quite the ride, though I must say that there are a few badly chewed up sections of 1 right now. Otherwise, turned out to be a beautiful day.

I'm looking forward to the next excurision!

- Joe K

Glad you could make it Joe. If you haven't been over Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. we should do that sometime. It's quite a nice ride with beautiful ocean views and some nice curves through Fort Hunter Liggett.

picture0233nf.jpg

Carmel Valley Rd, Nacimiento-Ferguson, and Hwy 1 would make a really nice loop.

Carmel Valley Rd, Nacimiento-Ferguson, and Hwy 1 would make a really nice loop.

One of my favorites. If it ever stops raining that would be a great ride. BTW, some of the locals introduced me to a nice restaurant that is actually on Fort Hunter Leggett. The food is better and cheaper than the places on highway 1, the only down side is that it is pretty hard to match the views from Rocky Point or one of the other places on the coast.

Lex