Buying a torque wrench

Guest PAULSMART

Even if my cheap wrenches would be 10% off, I can at least torque all 14 bolts of the oil pan equally. Or the head. I think that ought to be way better than guessing. When WHB give a range I pick a value in the middle. One or several of my bike's POs seem to have seriously overtightened most bolts. Right now one of the heads and the timing chest (M12 engine mount) are sent away for helicoils. I don't think it would have happened even with a seriously farked up and "too cheap" torque wrench.

Guest Mattress

Even if my cheap wrenches would be 10% off, I can at least torque all 14 bolts of the oil pan equally. Or the head. I think that ought to be way better than guessing. When WHB give a range I pick a value in the middle. One or several of my bike's POs seem to have seriously overtightened most bolts. Right now one of the heads and the timing chest (M12 engine mount) are sent away for helicoils. I don't think it would have happened even with a seriously farked up and "too cheap" torque wrench.

Exactly. Other than $$ critical joints such as con-rods, oil filters, suspension thingys that could cause an off, you should be able to get by.

I bought a Craftsman. I do think Craftsman quality is not as good as I remember just like a lot of other things since the rise of max profitability & China mfg. But, the wrench feels well built even if the warranty is only one year.

Already probably paid for itself too. I replaced a rashed valve cover using the proper torque. I was surprised that it was the equivalent of literally a "pinky finger pull" on the end of the wrench. Without the wrench, I'm sure I would have ham fisted some threads loose!

The reason I ask is that I'll be building 3 motors (V11 big ends, 261 chevy, '58 merc outboard) this year, my current TW is a bar type that is massive and older than me. Not really reliable under 20ft/lbs.

Saw a newish Snap-on electronic at a pawn shop for $125 cdn. Another $75 to have it calibrated... sounds tempting. Any reason NOT to buy it? They're over $400 here new.

cheers,

Rj

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...