'03 LeMans usable fuel capacity test

Guest Timothy

Guest Timothy

First I put exactly one gallon in a fuel can in the side saddlebag. Then I ran down the freeway until the motor started to sputter. I immediatly hit the kill switch and dumped the one gallon of fuel in. Next I drove 1.9 miles and filled up. I added an additional 4.220 gallons to the level I usually fill the tank. Then I coaxed in a total 4.554 right to the fill spout with the bike on the side stand. (I usually can get a little more in a bike's fuel tank with the bike standing straight up, but as you know there is no center stand on the LeMans) Outside temperature was 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Conclusion, a good 5.5 US Gallons usable fuel capacity. I, for one, am pleasantly surprised.

Ciao,

Timothy

Well first, congrats on the '03 Tim! What color did you get?

Seems like a good and favorable test. Since I haven't ridden my bike since December-ish :angry: , I don't remember what I got out of my tank-full on the '02, but I think under ideal situations it was right at about 5 gallons. So maybe our presupposition that the in-tank pump would reduce capacity is unfounded. Maybe the inclusion of the pump in-tank allows one to "get to" that last 1 gallon usually stuck on the left side of the tank?? hrmmm, maybe it's time to get an '03 tank and have it painted Champagne. Might fix the "vapor lock" issue too :lol:

Hey other pre-2003 owners out there, how much capacity do you have in your tank when it runs dry?

al

According to a recent and stressing experience, the fuel tank capacity seems to be about 20 l (approx. 5.25 US Gallons)

and certainly not 22 or 23 l we can sometimes read.

I don't intend to check it again...

By the way, my bike is an european V11 sport MY 2001.

Pierre

After my own idiotic experience , then draining my tank on the 2000 V11 Sport, it refilled with 5.1 US gallons. This is without clicking and coaxing in any extra as I always end up spilling fuel doing that.

Of course, as Al says, you can't get all of that fuel back out under normal circumstances. In another idiotic circumstance I found that when the bike begins to sputter (miles from a gas station) flicking it side to side apparently sloshes a little more trapped fuel down to the pick-up propelling the the poor,dry beast a little further before sputtering again. This embarassing procedure can be carried on repeatedly and, with luck, some source of fuel will appear on the horizon.

:lol: .... yes indeed, I've done the "slosh" maneuver many times to get the low-fuel light to stop glowing :P

That's why I'm still hoping to find, make, discover a kit/fix to balance both sides of the tank, or have the fuel pickup grab from both sides.

...maybe some day... or maybe just an '03 tank if the reports stay positive.

al

P.S.

Here's an interesting "project":

If the in-tank pumps do prove reliable, fix the "vapor lock" issue, and don't impact(or maybe even improve) capacity over the pre-'03; I wonder what it would take, or if it's possible, to retrofit a 2002 tank to the current solution??

I may have to take a mirror, flashlight, etc... to a 2003 and see what's different inside. If it's not major surgery, it might be an interesting excercise.

just a casual obsevation but it appeaers the 'sports' don't vapor lock like the 'LeMans.' Is this just an air flow issue?

Guest no1ukn0

Don't forget, the 2003 tanks do not have the pad that the 2002 and before tanks did. It's my understanding that they did this to make up the capacity that was lost when they put the fuel pump in the tank itself.

As far as reliability goes, Ducati has been doing this for years and don't forget it's use in aircraft for the last several decades. This will not be an issue.

no1ukn0

An in tank fuel pump also occupies a lot less volume than the space that must be allocated underneath the tank to accomodate an external fuel pump. It would be interesting to see if the new tank has a much different bottom than the earlier tanks.

As far as reliability goes, Ducati has been doing this for years and don't forget it's use in aircraft for the last several decades. This will not be an issue.

*laugh* .... I don't question the reliability of "in-tank" fuel pumps, just GUZZI in-tank fuel pumps :P

Serioulsy though, I'll reserve judgement as the year progresses and we have some folks with significant miles on them.

al

• 16 years later...

revival of zombie thread, and likely with answers scattered elsewhere in other threads....

So a little over 5 gallons usable in the pre-03 V11's (like an 02 Lemans)?

And, dare i ask what kind of fuel economy folks get on the highway, perhaps around 80mph?  that i'm sure is addressed elsewhere, but seemed ok to link that to a fuel capacity zombie thread.  I've not had my V11 down to the low fuel light, being mostly an around town bike to this point, so figured i'd do a little reading before taking one on a much longer run.  An old RoadRunner article lists the tank capacity at 5.8 gallons, which clearly sounds like a number to not pay much attention to. 

And then is there a fuel econ speed "cliff", where the efficiency drops off fast?  in other words, above about what speed does the economy start to noticeably suffer?  My little air cooled ducati 904 hates it above 65mph, at least in regard to fuel economy, whereas not surprisingly my italian machine with the 1200 4v is fine on fuel up to much higher speeds.  The KTM just flat sucks on economy, but i still tolerate the austrian dame.

I think a little over 5 gallons useable is about right. I get around 38 mpg at 80 or so. The low fuel light normally starts it's thing around 165-170 miles. I "think" I could make 200 miles in a pinch, but have never pushed it..I'd definitely be on my best behaviour after the light starts to glow.

Sorry, I should have warned the squeamish to avert their eyes . . . :blink:

Early V11 tanks trap a significant amount of fuel on the right side of the tank and forward (if riding downhill). Close to a US gallon. So, yes: 5.8 gallons minus about a US gallon . . .  I use 5.1 US gal as a full tank . . .

So, to avoid that dangerous swerving and sloshing, one could simply pop a wheelie and have the gas flow across?

Just kidding.

Honestly, I being a fresh owner, I will have to read the manual and poke around some. It's quite a bit heavier to push than my EX500.