'03 LeMans usable fuel capacity test

Guest Timothy

16 hours ago, po18guy said:

So, to avoid that dangerous swerving and sloshing, one could simply pop a wheelie and have the gas flow across?

Just kidding.

Honestly, I being a fresh owner, I will have to read the manual and poke around some. It's quite a bit heavier to push than my EX500.

So, (depending on your set-up and state of tune) I usually can get 35-37 US mpg with my jackrabbit riding style. 34.5 when the ambient temps are low (40-55ºF) and 40-42 if I am "behaving."

I have run out of fuel (too many times) and stopped to tip the Sport deeply to the left a few times (Tip-Slosh) to get a few hundred yards or more down the road.

"YMMV" applies here quite literally! :grin:

• Like 1

Thanks for that. So, it seems to have a manually operated reserve supply. Now have to believe and obey the yellow light I guess.

I note it is the same mileage as my Civic - but "slightly" more entertaining, and does not sound like a beehive at all.

No manual reserve. Petcock only on the left side of the tank. My light flickers dimly at idle or downhill right-handers when the tank needs 4.1-4.2 US gallons (giving me a safe 25 miles of reserve, but maybe not 35. Acceleration or left and uphill extinguishes the light.  When the light comes on full bright it is telling you to coast to the roadside and perform the deep Tip-Slosh rescue maneuver. :unsure:

Resetting the trip meter each fill-up and noting your acceptable range becomes the primary refueling alert in most cases.

• Like 1

i think he's referring to the tipping of the tank/bike as being the "manually operated reserve supply"?

But does the bike-tipping method apply to both internal and external fuel pump bikes?  i would think so, since the fuel pump location should only effect total capacity, whereas the petcock location (or lack of additional locations) effects the need for the bike tip...

• Like 1

Ah! That makes sense. I've gone up to about 1/4 mile on the tip-slosh. Helps to pin the throttle as any unused fuel is returned to the right side fuel trap.

I suspect the internal pump tank is similar, but IDK. :huh2:

My 2001 had the fuel come out the petcock on the LH side and returned to the tank on the RH through the pressure regulator so if you tilted the bike to the left the pump would immediately pump it back to the right.

I took the pressure regulator off and inserted a bent tube in the return port to direct the return fuel over the hump to the left side. Idea being if you tilted the bike to get the fuel trapped on the right side it should stay left

I sold the bike before I got around to testing the range

I used hydraulic brake line it's available in several sizes

• Like 1