V11 Modifications - Opinions?

polebridge

Has anybody out there tried any these mods?:

http://www.moto-euro.com/sample_article_9.htm

If so, what do you think of the results? I am particularly interested in the high compression pistons and their effect on the bikes power delivery i.e. more power and torque everywhere or just more high end horses?

I work very near the FBF dealership mentioned in the article and am considering some or all of these mods sometime in the future for my Coppa.

Thanks.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If so, what do you think of the results?  I am particularly interested in the high compression pistons and their effect on the bikes power delivery i.e. more power and torque everywhere or just more high end horses?

I work very near the FBF dealership mentioned in the article and am considering some or all of these mods sometime in the future for my Coppa.

Thanks.

79045[/snapback]

Welcome to the forum pb. I think this post was one of the very first threads I posted here, much like you. I'm sure there is plenty of information stored in the archives that the good folks on here will steer you towards. How is it you own a Coppa and are just now posting up? :bier:

Welcome to the forum pb.  I think this post was one of the very first threads I posted here, much like you.  I'm sure there is plenty of information stored in the archives that the good folks on here will steer you towards.  How is it you own a Coppa and are just now posting up? :bier:

79047[/snapback]

I bought the Coppa Italia in November 2005 and it's my first ever Guzzi. I must say that so far I am very happy with my decision. I also own a 2001 Aprilia Falco. I have been posting a little bit on the WildGuzzi.com board and someone there recommended that I pose my question on this site. So here I am.

Thanks for the response. I'll try checking old posts (once I figure out how to do that).

I bought the Coppa Italia in November 2005 and it's my first ever Guzzi.  I must say that so far I am very happy with my decision.  I also own a 2001 Aprilia Falco.  I have been posting a little bit on the WildGuzzi.com board and someone there recommended that I pose my question on this site.  So here I am.

Thanks for the response.  I'll try checking old posts (once I figure out how to do that).

79052[/snapback]

Ah pb, you are the one with the front brake disc problem. I too post quite a bit over at AF1. Wish I still had my Falco as well. May get another one some day. But aren't these V11's the cat's meow?

Wow...Yes I remember you from that forum. Sorry to hear you sold the Aprilia. I just couldn't part with mine. If I couldn't get those brakes fixed it would be gone but so far they are working just fine.

Yes the Moto Guzzi is a really great bike. It's not as fast as the Falco but there is something very satisfying about the way it delivers the power that it has. I also find it more comfortable and I really love the looks of the Coppa. It's just a great street bike.

I read an article in one of the bike mags that compared the Coppa against a BMW 1100s , a Buell Firebolt, and an MZ twin and the Guzzi won that comparison hands down. That is what drew my interest to the Guzzi brand. I then found an online article on motorcycle.com that reviewed the Coppa Italia and that writer really loved the bike. A couple of test rides on a V11 Lemans and I was looking for the Coppa. I found one on the floor of the Aprilia New York dealership and really like the bike. A guy there by the name of Howie Mansdorf (nice guy) gave me a great deal on the bike and I am quite happy with my purchase. Can't wait to get it broken in.

What model are you riding and how do you like it? Any advice you can share is appriciated.

PB...Welcome!

Where in NJ are you located? I'm up north in Morris County. Hey, if we get together we can have a Guzzi Gaggle. More than one Guzzi in the same location in NJ is a convention.

Mike

Wow...Yes I remember you from that forum.  Sorry to hear you sold the Aprilia.  I just couldn't part with mine.  . . .

79056[/snapback]

47216805-4995-00800060-.jpg

I didn't sell it . . . well, I guess I did "sell it" to the insurance company! :homer:

48270777-4fe0-00800060-.jpg

I couldn't be more happy with my Rosso Corsa. :bike:

Guest ratchethack

If so, what do you think of the results?  I am particularly interested in the high compression pistons and their effect on the bikes power delivery i.e. more power and torque everywhere or just more high end horses?

Thanks.

79045[/snapback]

Polebridge, I think you'll find a fair number who've done all of these mods on this Forum. I know a Guy with a 2000 Sport who has essentially the same engine config as the one in the article. Running race gas to contend with 11:1 CR is a right royal pain (my Pal's Sport is unrideable without it), but yep - it makes a fairly noticeable difference right from the bottom, all the way thru the powerband.

One of the statements in the article that I take exception to is the blatantly unsubstantiated claim by Eraldo that he can get an additional 7-8 bhp out of the engine by going to separate pod filters. Our semi-resident Dynojet Rep and Guzzisti Todd Eagan (see GuzziTech.com) has dynoed a fair heap of V-11's and has developed probably the largest PC III map library for V-11's in existence. He says he has yet to see ANY improvement on the dyno of pods over an open-top airbox. Eraldo also says some things about the rear suspension that sound, well...er, not fully-baked IMHO. -_-

Being a Certifiable Road Geez -_- , I wouldn't be inclined to do very many of these mods myself, in deference to sticking with a more tractable, reliable, road-worthy engine for the long haul. I'd be LEAST likely to go to even larger valves than the already large-valve Sport motor.

I personally favor the stock motor with Stucchi crossover, FBF oval carbon cans, and a PC III. :thumbsup:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

One of the statements in the article that I take exception to is the blatantly unsubstantiated claim by Eraldo that he can get an additional 7-8 bhp out of the engine by going to separate pod filters. 

79107[/snapback]

"I can gain another 7 or 8 HP by fitting separate filters to the throttle bodies," Eraldo reveals, "We're working on that as we speak."

Please note that while Eraldo said the above, it was quite a while ago.

And while a 7 or 8 HP gain by fitting separate filters is not likely, he did indicate it was a work in progress, and several years later, he is still marketing the airbox lid removal kit with Ratchet approved BMC filter.

My guess is that he found that pods did not improve the power as much as removing the airbox lid did.

But as always, I am just making a blatantly unsubstantiated guess.

While I am at it, I would suggest that the piston kit would have a greater benefit for high altitude riders or from people willing to modify their ignition map

Perhaps Ratchet's friend would like to purchase TuneBoy :huh2:

I think JediOne went with some kind of high compression piston, and may have lost power :huh2:

So beware, it is not all good.

As for porting, it is one of the more expensive ways to improve power, but doing it at the same time as a claimed necessary valve replacement may not be a bad idea.

And heck, if you have the money, go for it.

Mike Rich may have the best reputation on the planet for porting Guzzis, but with a slow turn-around.

He also sells a high compression kit.

But beware, Mike Rich may be guilty of making blatantly dubious claims of soft OEM valve stems.

He does site durometer testing, but I have not heard of them failing....yet.

35,000 miles and still waiting for blue smoke and dropped valves.

But if I had the money, I would send my heads to Mike, and get his pistons, and Carrillo Rods, and rebalance the engine.

But stock ain't to bad, either.

But since you live by the blatant unsubstantiator, Eraldo, go for it!

Guest ratchethack
PS years ago, I talked to the owner of the bike in the article, and his buddy.

All they could do was rave about how it was unlike a stock sport, and had alot more seat of the pants HP.

For dreamers, we have entire cottage industries that cater to those afflicted with a seemingly overpowering affinity for the blatantly unsubstantiated and dubious.

By all means, find somebody you don't know, who's raving, and whose ego seems to be wrapped up in the excitement and attention of the moment - especially if he's attracted some kind of "media" attention. Just do whatever he's done, and go with whatever it is that Mr. Anonymous has to say to justify what he's already substantially committed himself to. The woods'r full of 'em... <_<

Ya gotta visualize the dream. Breathe the dream. Ignore reality, it only gets in the way. Stretch out with your FEELINGS, Luke! Find others who dream the same dream. THE FORCE is strong in them, too. Share the dream. Make the dream into a necessity. Now go with that wonderful big fuzzy FEELING of group consensus! FEEL FREE to just go wherever the Group Dream takes you... Yes, of course we take Mastercard and VISA. :lol:

My Pal likes his '00 Sport, though his bone-stock 900SS still gets a lot more miles on it, and his wife is less and less enthusiastic lately about following him around on the Guzzi on long weekend rides with the van, carrying his race gas. <_< (I'm not sure, but I suspect that routine has already come to a screeching halt. :homer: )

The PO of my pal's bike also did some other mods in addition to the FBF 11:1 pistons that would also seem to be in the blatantly unsubstantiated and dubious category. He had a 180 rear tire on the stock 4.5" rim (Yep - it handled like a wallowing pig - 'specially compared to the 900SS), and he had also put on custom low clip-ons that put the bars considerably below the top triple-clamp.

By now my pal has a well-earned appreciation for why the PO sold the bike with only a few thou miles on it... -_-

Last week, I talked him into putting on a proper 160 rear tire, and he's discovered a brand new world of handling. Man, what an improvement! Next he's putting on stock bars so he can ride more than 10 miles without enduring the torture of an excruciating kink that gradually sinks it's teeth into his neck, along with some godawful agony in his wrists.

After that, he's going to stock pistons so he can run on pump gas - presumably so the wife has a better shot at enjoying her weekends too. He's a very considerate husband, you see. -_- He's hoping the stock CR pistons will allow the engine to run smoothly, without the flat spots, balking and ratty running at low RPMs.

My pal doesn't know if there's been any porting work done, or even if it has larger-than-stock valves, but he's keen to find out, hoping to find all-stock heads... <_< He really likes the way mine runs... -_-

Methinks there could be some kinda pattern at work here? :huh2::lol:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

I'll trade engines with him :grin:

or better yet, I'll let him try my Tuneboy'd ECU if he is willing to spend three hours remapping out the pinging.

I'd hate to see perfectly good pistons go to waste.

It is good to see he has a friend who can steer him in the right direction.

Guest ratchethack
I'll trade engines with him :grin:

or better yet, I'll let him try my Tuneboy'd ECU if he is willing to spend three hours remapping out the pinging.

I'd hate to see perfectly good pistons go to waste.

It is good to see he has a friend who can steer him in the right direction.

Dave, if y'er interested in his FBF 11:1 pistons, I'll let him know. He'll be going with a new set of stock pistons & rings, & probably a just quick ball-hone of the cylinders.

I don't think he'd be interested in an engine swap. As I recall, you've not achieved seating of your rings? :( If y'er going to drop in FBF's, this'd be the perfect time for a good honing of the cylinders followed by a strict MotoMan break-in procedure. :thumbsup:http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Regardless of the very low miles on my pal's FBF pistons, Unless y'er unusually lucky with an acceptable fit of the rings, I expect the Pro's would recommend new rings so's you can set the end-gaps properly. Probably a good idea to get a few qualified opinions on this.

I don't think he'd tolerate 3 hours of mapping - nor would I, since by my experience, with perfect throttle response and very good mileage there's very little potential benefit to be had thereby, and prohibitive downside cost, risk, and time-sink considerations. <_< If it turns out that he's got stock-valve heads, he can more'n likely use one of Todd's maps for his PC III and skip the custom mapping altogether. -_-

As always, YMMV

You can tolerate a piston swap to fix the pinging.

I can tolerate three hours(or even months) of TuneBoy street tuning to fix the pinging.

Although I'd like to have the FBF pistons, I don't think it is worth the trouble, and I suspect the rings would be a good portion the price of a new $300 kit from FBF.

Also, for the same reason that chains and sprockets are changed at the same time, I'll turn down the offer on the used pistons.

However, if the pistons were already in there, you would bet I would keep them.

Your guys' solution of going back to stock pistons, I am sure will be fine.

I am sorry you are not open to TuneBoy, but I am obviously not going to convince you of its value.

The bike in the article did not ping.

I guess Eraldo must have had it running pretty rich using the PCIII.

FWIW

I really would not expect him to trade engines with me. I was just joking.

I believe I have achieved seating of my rings, but not ideal seating. All I know is that I tested for two less HP than Slowpoke with a similar setup, and I burn oil, (but much less now, since switching to Repsol, from that French stuff) I now burn about half a liter in three thousand miles, while before, it was almost a liter.

I should have done the MotoManMethod.

Perhaps I'll get a second chance some day.

Guest ratchethack
As always, YMMV

But of course. Sometimes I forget to add this. I just figure it's assumed. -_-

I can tolerate three hours(or even months) of TuneBoy street tuning to fix the pinging.

For my money, this sounds, looks, and costs far too much like the infamous Science Project Without End...Judging by my occasional peek at an ECU thread, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy... :bbblll:

The bike in the article did not ping.

I guess Eraldo must have had it running pretty rich using the PCIII.

My pal's Sport doesn't ping on race gas, either - nor does it run rich. -_-

BAA, TJM & YMMV :thumbsup: