Round Britain Rally 2006

Martin Barrett

Sorry you’re not going to be spared the updates. Yes it’s a week late but have been busy with getting ready to go to the German Rally and the National check points and matrix has arrived.

I went with the route I’ve already posted. The usual very early start, I couldn’t sleep (with excitement) up well before the alarm clock and on the road well before 5am.

I’d chosen to do a landmark (2) just off the M4 near Newbury. I could have saved this one for later but it wasn’t far off the motorway and would break the leg to the first of the Welsh ones.

Further along the motorway, taking it steady there has been a lot of publicity of the Wiltshire “camera safety partnership” using camera vans on the bridges over the motorways. Traffic is still quite light as still not in to “rush hour” and I’m going the wrong way. I do see what appears to be red Lemans on the other carriage way. But couldn’t be 100% with a closing speed of over 150mph and can only see the headlight and general shape of the fairing, the Armco obstructs the view of the engine.

My next point (3) a derelict church. It’s off a single track lane with high banks. I’ve located the footpath that leads to it. It can’t be seen from the road, so I’m on my second pass looking for a close safe place to park the bike. The lady who lives in the house next to the footpath advises me to open the field gate and park on the hard standing there being her shed. I’m not sure if this is actually her field or not but I don’t need to be asked twice. Having photographed the landmark and control card on leaving the area I stop to take a photograph of the bike with a road sign so that proves I came on the bike.

The next point (4) is a sculpture on a disused railway viaduct. It is a circle made up off rail wagons. I park at the wrong end of the viaduct and can’t see around its curve so I have to walk its length to find the sculpture. When walking back I’m talking to a chap who tells me that he remembers travelling on the trains across it when he first went to work and today is his last day at work as is about to retire. He couldn’t have chosen a better day, the sun is now breaking through and it’s turning in to a lovely day, if not a bit warm to be walking about in riding gear.

I make my way back towards the motorway to transit to my next point (5) some old lime kilns. Then can head up to Brecon for its canal basin (6). The roads are getting more interesting. I then follow the English/Welsh borders northwards I pick up an animal pound (7) in Herefordshire (England) and another lime kiln (8) in Powys (Wales) this is much smaller on scale than the previous ones. It is located behind a Pub so I stop there for a pint of orange and lemonade, don’t mix beer and riding.

I’m back eastwards now and I miss my turn by the time I realise it’s just as far too go back and pick up the right road or press on. By pressing on means I have to take the A44 to Aberystwyth, this is an excellent road through the mountains. The down side is that I’ll be going along one part of the coast road three times, and it’s not the best part either. The A44 wins.

I pick up land mark (9) a memorial. This is the one that I rode past on the Welsh Waltz 2 and I will go past it and (10) again on Sunday when I head to North Wales from ferry on the way back from Ireland. I’ve got time in hand now so it makes sense this way. (Well to me it does)

I head back southwards to pick up my last land mark (11) a chieftain tank and a Sunderland propeller both memorials to military connections in the town. Then up to the ferry port. I’m there for 1930hrs only a 7 hour wait for my ferry. The previous one was an hour before, there’s no way I could have caught it and it would have thrown my Ireland plans if I had.

So fish and chips sat on the harbour wall, the Sea is like a mill pond.

060612022.jpg

585miles completed 10 landmarks collected.

w1.jpg

Landmarks:

(2) Speen, The Ladywell "Holy well"

3- Caerwent, Runston Chapel

4- Ystradmynach," Wheel of Drams"

5- Llandybie, Limekilns

6- Brecon, Canal basin

7- Eardisley, Village pound

8- Berriew, Birthdir lime kilns

9- Corris, Alfred William Hughes memorial

10- Tan-y-groes, Internal fire museam of power

11- Pembroke, Chieftan tank and Sunderland flying boat propeller

th_rbr06d6.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of my electrical gremlins having deprived me of indicators and tail light, leaving me with stop and headlights only I take an earlier crossing back from Ireland. So I head north passing points (10) and (9) from Thursday. It’s daylight so I could have visited them for photographs but I’m saving time. Another slight wrong turn and I’m approaching Snowdon from the wrong side so I pass another landmark it is on my route so I visit it now, knowing I will be passing it tomorrow. I then camp in the Lanberis pass.

As dusk falls as I’m cooking my dinner I get eaten alive by midges.

IMG_0124.jpg

Don’t get much sleep heavy rain and wind keeps me awake. It passes and I’m awake early. I’m packed up and away before six. Across to Anglesey for my first point (2) and the rain has arrived so its water proofs on. Head back passing point (3) which I did the previous evening on to the highest pub in Wales (4) It’s not even 8 O’clock so it’s not open even for breakfast. The rain has stopped but looks threatening still.

My next point (5) is a Sculpture called “Footplate” at a railway station. A nice pun (as you’ll see when I post up the picture in November)

Followed by (6) a ruined castle. I can’t get the bike to it and make do with a long distance shot from the side of the towns by pass. If you carefully and know its there you can see it. That’s the Welsh landmarks completed.

Slide back in to England for the next a commemorative way mark (7). Being back in England the threat of rain had gone and I could shred my waterproofs.

Then back towards Wales for the next (8) a statue before heading homewards picking up one last bordering on to Wales a foot bridge that was also a Great War memorial (9) it was only just gone midday. I’d achieved all the target landmarks decided against picking up further points but to go straight home. It was now quite hot and I had to remove the liner from my jacket. I made it home just in time to go and collect my children from school, which pleased them seeing I’d been away for nearly 5 whole days.

w2.jpg

Landmarks:

2- Llangaffo, The preachers cross

3- Capel Curig, Ugly House

4- Bylchau, The Sportsmans Arms

5- Flint, Footplate sculpture

6- Holt Castle

7- Normans Heath, Celia Fienns Waymark

8- Oswestry, The moorland farmer statue

9- Coalbrookdale, Jackfield & Coalport memorial footbridge

th_rbr06d7.jpg

With the Windmill done on the way back fromm the Channel Tunnel crossing my completed RBR map now looks like this.

92619[/snapback]

What happened to the Scotland points?

I thought you took care of those on the Scottish rally.

at this rate you should reach 100,000 miles before long! :thumbsup:

What happened to the Scotland points?

I thought you took care of those on the Scottish rally.

at this rate you should reach 100,000 miles before long! :thumbsup:

92678[/snapback]

Yes the Scottish ones done then (posts 7-11 - page 1 on my browser). The last map posted shows all the land marks as the red dots and the ones still to do are highlighted with the yellow halo.

I live under the "u" in Luton just north of London so apart from Cornwall (extreme south west) all are doable in a series of day trips. Might do Cornwall as a day trip but would be about 800miles depending on how many landmarks I actually did. Not too much different from a Welsh Waltz day really :D

Just turned 25,000 miles and she is three next month. I had a quiet first year and doing 10-12K a year now. There are people who do greater millages and keep their bike clean.

• 1 month later...

Gosh over a month since the last up date!

Been a bit quiet on the RBR front recently. But not totally neglected. Last week was a heavy hospital week with the miricle baby (see link in sig block)

I finished my weekend of night shifts and with limited sleep on the Monday was down to Great Ormond Street Hospital to see a specalist in the afternoon. On the Tuesday he was still at school but finishing early so I had a few spare hours to myself. Whilst Debs (aka GuzziWidow- so she can PM me whilst I'm at work :) ) was taking the other 3 kids up to her mothers to leave them for a few days, as Michael was due in for surgery the next day.

I decided to make the most of those few hours and go and hit a localish landmark. The one in the next county east is a memorial to the American Bomb Group that flew from an airfield in WWII. The interesting thing about this one is that since the landmarks were set the local police have taken over that part of the airfield and their firearms and other suport units are based there so access is restricted. There is another general war memorial at another gate on to the airfield. I visited that one first and the made enquires with teh man on the gate and he walked me up to the correct memorial. I didn't have to play my "job" card either.

As I left there my left throttle body poped off, so had to remount it. It last did it over a year ago on the way through Wales. I'm experiancing a rattly balance pipe but doesn't backfire, and a little over due a tappet check, could either of these cause it?

essex.jpg

Just over 100miles in about 3 hours. A nice mix of roads in good weather.

Landmark:

Boreham, 394th Bomb Group monument airfield

th_rbr06d8.jpg

Having spent Wednesday through Friday at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge and at work over the weekend, today was my day off. Michael had been on a oxygen monitor overnight and I had to return it today. I therefore decided to extend my route by a couple of hundred miles and do the East Anglian landmarks.

Just as reached the hospital the throttle body blew off again. this time the rubber had split for about an inch. I taped up the split with duck tape and remounted it again. It held for the rest of the day. Whilst I was doing this I heard some say "It's a Moto Gootse" (don't forget my tank is covered) I turned to see a very elderly couple. I complemented him on his pronouciation saying as he pronounced it correctly he no doubt wasn't surprised to see me working on it :D It did say that he thought the newer ones were supposed to more reliable than the ones of old. His wife ( I asume she wasn't his bit of fluff) told be he used to be a biker. I told her it never gets out of your blood. It appears he has/had a Vincent. I live in Stevenage where they were made. The owners club use the same pub as does the Guzzi club and occasion they apepar on a mass ride out.

After my quick fix I continued. At Bury St Edmunds I had to avoid a shed load, some supermarket lorry had lost a couple of pallets of sausages. This was on a bit of dual carraige way and the traffic had stopped so I filtered through. Most of the heavt stuff had allready been moved aside. As I neared the first landmark I became concious that the dark cloud was over it and true to form 2 miles out it started to spot with rain. The rain held off untill I'd taken my photograph the chucked it down for two minutes and stopped.

Pressing on I again noticed Heading towards a cloud. The roads were slightly damp in patches so took it easy as likely to be greasy having had no rain for several weeks. As I got towards the second check point the traffic came to a standstill. A police car acroos the road and a couple of fire engines. I had filtered along the outside but on seeing the cause I switched to the inside and went to the enteranceway by the front in order to pull up out the way and consult my map. The WPC turning the traffic around came over and advised me of the best diversion route. She was in remarkable good humor and wanted to help. I know what its like stood at a road closure even one with signs and barriers "Is the road closed?" "Can't I get through? I always go this way" It does start to try ones patience. I going to try the narrow lanes, she said it was very twisty, which might be fun on the bike. I then mentioned the damp roads and the grease and didn't want to end up like that and pointed further up the road. I followed her diversion and where it rejoined it was just the other side of the large fire :homer: I'd assumed it was an accident, most of the water earlier was from where the fire tenders had topped up at a hydrant.

Not much further to the lighthouse that was the landmark, and then start on the way back, picking up my third landmark a 16thC market house on pillars so the stalls could be placed under it.

I then stopped for fuel. There was a California two tone brown (non efi?) parked outside belonging to the cashier.

eastanglia.jpg

nb still haven't done Letchworth - that point was just to bring the route back the way I went

A total of 260 mile in about 6 hours, just the odd smattering of rain but didn't get wet. A more pleasent temperture today not too hot.

Landmarks:

3- Ashby, St Marys Church

3- Bonus the memorial to bomber crew

4-, Happisburgh, Lighthouse

5- New Buckenham, Market House

th_rbr06d9.jpg

Well done Martin- you certainly get about on that dirty bike of yours! When do you think you will have got all the landmarks- do you have many more to find?

Hope all is well with your son.

regards

Guy :helmet:

Well done Martin- you certainly get about on that dirty bike of yours! When do you think you will have got all the landmarks- do you have many more to find?

Hope all is well with your son.

regards

Guy :helmet:

Thanks Guy, The Lad is doing well, just a bit bruised and swollen at the moment. It's now difficult to keep him off the climbing frame so he doesn't pop his stiches. The padling pool has been drained also.

5 days should do it, that will include a possible overnighter on the way back from the West Country along the south coast. But could all be done on single days. But will have to be proper days with early starts. I'm getting concious that the days are starting to get shorter. 28 points to do, just ignore the east anglian ones on the map 6 posts up. Got untill November though.

It's school summer holidays here now. Debs and the kids have gone up to her mothers. They're staying for a week to take in the nephews birthday and keep them out the way whilst I'm on night shift next week.

The plan was for me to follow them up on the Guzzi on Friday, stay for the weekend and back for nights on Monday. That would be an opportunity to head further north and complete the landmarks I didn't do on the way back from Scotland.

So I packed my bag for Debs to bring, and loaded my lower tank bag with waterproofs and tools and the upper with camera; maps and snacks. Instead of my usual lift share for my Friday early shift I would go on the Guzzi and head up straight from work.

I left work[1] at 4pm and went home[2], I'd forgotten my mobile :homer: Not too bad. One of the saving graces of Stevenage is that if you make the mistake of getting off the motorway there you can get on at the next junction without having to retrace your steps :D Probably cost me 10 minutes in time.

Back on route, straight up the A1. The road works at the Black Cat roundabout have finaly finished (a couple of years) and theres no hold ups. Head off to Sleaford Lincolnshire [4] where I'm looking for a Mill amd a Lock gate. I used to go this way regularly 20 odd years ago when undertaking my RAF Officer training at RAF Cranwell, which is near Sleaford.

I have a few reminisions as I make my way through the town centre. I catch up with an old Matchless single who pulls off into the main car park. Having found my landmarks I take a drive along the public road that bisects RAF Cranwell.

mgb002.jpg

In my day they used to fly these. Infact I failed my Navigator training on one of these ( Okay this might be a mk5 and I flew in mk3s with or without tip tanks ( or visa versa) but it's such a long time ago) out of RAF Finningley.

I then went west to find a Victorian pumping station[6]. This was a case of do it now and it might save time on Monday when rushing back in time to go to work. Having done this as I went past a lay by there was another old Britsh bike in it as I looked he gave me a wave. I gave him a thumbs up but as I didn't get a reply I turned and went back to him. He has stopped as a wasp had stung him on the side of his temple, one of the joys of open faced helmets. He was okay and we had a brief chat. His bike was a 250cc BSA Barracuda.

BSA-Barracuda-67.jpg

except his was grey.

I pressed on to my next point a Lion statute incorporating a water pump in Caistor[9] which is 10 miles outside Grimsby where the mother in law lives[10]. Took the photos and headed in to Grimsby. I had pulled up along side a police van at traffic lights when my mobile started to ring. I decided would be best to ignore it as it would be Debs enquiring after me and I was only a couple of 100 yds away now.

200 miles in under 5 hours, map to be posted when I get home (here it is)

d1-1.jpg

As always additional way points as always to get the route planner to go where I want to/went

Highlighted push pins are the outstanding landmarks.

Today with the family day trip to Skegness, picture of Moby @#$$#! to follow :(

Another family day tomorrow and then on Monday do those missing Yorkshire landmarks and on the way back the Midlands.

Landmarks:

4- Sleaford, Cogglesford mill and lock

6- Papplewick, Victorian pumping station

10- Caistor, Village pump (lion)

0600hrs depature from the mother in laws [1]. I use the Humber bridge, for 17 years this was the worlds longest single span suspension bridge, the motorcycle toll is £1.20

humber_bridge_shot2.jpg

On wards north through Beverley to wards my first landmark. Just short of it I find this impressive ediface created by the same family as my intended landmark. 120ft tall apparently.

IMG_0207.jpg

The landmark [2] a war memorial features the following images

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Reminds me a bit of triumphant collums from the Romans. I'm not sure these "carton" images sit well with me. Normally the memorials are more dignified, not quite what I expected.

I stopped for fuel and breakfast just shy of landmark [3] what I'd come to expect a large stone with a placque on a large stone plinth. Simple and dignified. This one was for the crew of a damaged Halifax that crashed whilst attempting to land having returned from a mission over Germany, also killed one local resident when hit their house.

Kept to the minor roads on the way to the next [5] going through a firing range on the North Yorkshire moors, luckily the flags weren't flying and the road was open. This was also a war memorial but a simple carved stone one.

It seems that there are a lot of war memorials, either to individuals or crews that crashed near by; or units that were based there or even the traditional village memorials in this years rally. Infact it's on 12 out of 84 that are of that type. They do vary in type. I suppose given it's 60 years since the end of WWII and the ongoing situations it allways is timely to visit them and reflect.

Thats the three landmarks I wimped out of doing due to the rain on the way back from Scotland. A quick blast of nearly 100 miles down the A1 and M1 motorways to get to the Derbyshire peak district. As I came off the motorway cranked over on the roundabout there was a familiar grinding sound. I pulled up and had to duct tape my left exhaust can up to the foot rest hanger, it's bracket had sheered just the same way the right had done on two previous occasions. Last week I'd been replacing the head and balance pipe gaskets but when reassembling I hadn't done anything with the cans so I don't know if I'd restressed it when tighting it all up.

Off through the peak district, very pretty but the traffic was horendous especially through Bakewell[8]. Not sure if it's like that all summer or was just because a show on. Cleared Bakewell and then nice open roads to my next stop [9] not a memorial an old smithy that was now tea rooms.

Headed in to Staffordshire, speed camera central. road down to 50 limit with cameras. Then as you go into a village's 30 limit a camera within 50yds of the start of the limit, Must of been a good dozen of them, road seemed to go on for ever. Don't know if they were particularly dense as a route into the peak district to catch all the speeding holidaymakers and bikers out for a thrash. There is a recent instruction from goverment for the local authorities to examin their rural speed limits. I expect to see a change from national speed limits (60mph) downwards with perhaps enforcement. Most motorcyclist pay attention to posted speed limits in villages etc but not NSL where drive appropriate to road conditions - this is what we do on police advanced driving courses also. The addition of additional apparently needless speed limits, the roads often self regulate (except those driving beyond their eyes), devalues those allready in position.

A change in direction still speed cameras but not as dense, to [10] another downed aircraft, a Lancaster.

On wards down into Birmingham, for the Tipton (district of Birmingham) Slasher - prize fighter, champion from 1850-1857, a statue [11] I hate driving through heavy built up areas, luckily normally only have about 3-4 to do on the rally. Not so many speed cameras but plenty of red light cameras for the traffic lights.

Escaped Birmingham got back on to motorway to do so and made my way past the Hinkley Triumph Factory, a very large grey box, big car park, but I suppose all modern factorys are like that. My next point was a time capsle built in to a sculpture[13] I wouldn't call it pretty :vomit: (You'll see in November)

A bit more major roads and a couple of junctions of the M1 to get on the Leicester ring road, which was jammed solid, so lots of filtering, Found the cause an accident?, but a lane closed just after a junction and litered with fire engines and police cars.

My smooth entry to the next landmark [14] was spolit by bridge repairs so I free naved my way around some country lanes to avoid back tracking too far. Just as I arrived I started popping. My inlet rubber bodged repair had let go. So once finished my photograph. I redid my repair using electrical insulation tape.

Headed for home regained dual carriageway and slogged it. Had to do a bit of filtering as was a large hold up as the A14 joined the A1, then continued on. I slowed down to the posted speed limit on an approach to a village that stradles the A1, when I caught a glimpse in my mirror of a flash of headlights a hint of blue and could just hear sierns. I moved over in to the nearside lane and sure enougth eventually a traffic Volvo estate came up and past. As I left the village the speed limit went back to NSL (70 on dual carriageways) so gunned it, curious as to what possibly might be ahead and should I consider diverting. One motorist who saw me comming up at speed had his arm dangling out of his window so gave a slow down gesture and a thumbs down - united against a common enemy or just aware that it was likly to come to a griding halt? Sure enough about a mile further on the Police car was in view and just implementing a rolling block.

We reached the accident, as it was at a crossover junction both the two normal running lanes were free and the police car pulled into the filter lane behind an ambulance. In front of the ambulance was a mangled motorcycle and the paramedics were on the central reservation giving treatment. I hope he's OK. It did make me reflect on my filtering antics, briefly as the road opened up and we were off again.

Just before I got home the inlet rubber repair started to fail, I took it gently the rest of the way. Getting in just after 6, so that was 480 miles done.

A quick bite of dinner and then redid the inlet repair with duck tape as the spare hadn't arrived whilst I'd been away. I then went to the local owners club meeting for an hour before heding of to work for my first night shift.

d2-1.jpg

partcompleted080806.jpg

So a couple of very local landmarks to do, the Cotswolds, South West and South , three days worth at most.

Landmarks:

2- Sledmere, Waggoners memorial

3- Skipton on Swale, Memorial to crew of Halifax

5- Reeth, War memorial on village green

8- Monyash, The Old Smithy

10- Sandon, Memorial stone to crew of Lancaster

11- Tipton, Statue of the "Tipton Slasher"

13- Ibstock, Landmark sculpture and time capsule

14- Desborough, Milestone pillar topped with a ball

th_rbr06d10.jpg

• 1 month later...

There was now only less than two months to complete the event. I’m getting short of available days and the weather seemed to have turned into Autumn. My next three sets of days all off are either weekends or I’ve got other arrangements. The weather forecast was looking promising so I arranged to do my two day trip despite it being a weekend.

I planned to do it the same way as I did it last year. Down to Cornwall and back along the south coast, overnight with my mother in the New Forest complete the south coast, as I’d already done the Kent one head back and do the ones just to the west of London. That would leave the three/four (depending on how I did day two) in the Cotswolds and the pair within 20 miles from home for another day.

Usual early start, well that’s not quite true. I decided I need to be at my first landmark just after daylight so I left home at 4am. I’d had a couple of large G&Ts :drink: the previous evening to help me drop off and On waking I then worried that I might still have alcohol in my system. I didn’t think I’d be over the limit just worried it might impair me long with a bit of fatigue. First stop a self service card petrol payment to fill up.

West1.jpg

No problems just motorway down and around the London orbital and the westwards. I filled up on the motorway as there was a service station just before I wanted to come off. 123miles and all completed by 6am and sky lightening behind me. The moon had been large and bright but a bit high in the sky for a good shot, obviously can’t stop on the motorway and I wasn’t going to stop to hunt for place to stop, and I parked in the wrong place at the service station.

I left the motorway and across the high ground it was very misty. But this cleared as I dropped down in to Bath and was clear as I came out the other side to my first point.[2]

Continued west but this time on the A39 , could see Glastonbury Tor but didn’t stop for a picture. There were road signs warning motorcyclists to take care and advised of heavy speed enforcement. I thought it would be too early in the day for the vans to be out and saw no fixed cameras.

The costal road was very spectacular, the hills steep and straight up from sea level and not running along too many joining ridges.

I did my next landmark [3] and then up the nearby Porlock Hill 1:4 steep hill, no problem on the Guzzi but didn’t get a clear run up any of the hills as always come up behind a car and not always sensible to overtake, laid back enough to chug up behind until a good spot.

I did stop for one picture.

IMG_0294.jpg

Not a particular steep bit but the edge of the hill running down into the sea indicates the general geography.

I reached Barnstable I’d done 125 miles since last fill up so I took the opertunity to do so (13.6l), even though the light hadn’t come on. I just left the service station and there coming the other way a Rosso Corsa, we waved I spun around behind him and he pulled in to the service station.

IMG_0295.jpg

A German couple had the bike since last year with 19,000KM on it. Over for 3 weeks now on the way to London for a couple of days before heading back to Germany. They said all the Guzzi riders they met had been very friendly. :mg:

I found this millennium monument at Bude where my next landmark [4] was. There were fibre optic in it that showed the star postions. And more in the pavement detailing the constellations. I wasn’t going to wait for dark as it wasn’t even midday (just).

IMG_0302-1.jpg

The Bude Light 2000

I then crossed over to the south side on the Lizard peninsular where Marconi made his transmissions to the US [5] The tide was out in the nearby cove. I was told at my landmark {3} that they’d had the highest tide for 100years that night and a higher one was expected tonight. Here I was told that the sea doesn’t normaly go out as far and exposed all this lovely sand. Shame the holidays were over and only the locals were enjoying it. :)

STD_0307.jpg

I retraced my steps partially and was contemplating how far to stretch my fuel when I came upon standing traffic on a roundabout complex near Truo so I went into the petrol station off the roundabout. It was confirmed as a motorcycle/car accident. Having fuel I continued I filtered past the traffic until I came upon the accident. It seemed to be a yellow sports Ducati. The police were on scene and directing traffic past. I was in the middle of a double white centre line system on quite bendy heavily wooded road. There was a house driveway. I can only think the car was turning into/out of the driveway and collected the Ducati.

Further land marks at [7]; [8] & [9] It was much pleasanter this year as dry and not having to stop to keep reattaching my exhaust.

I braved ferocious creatures to acquire my last land mark. :lol:

IMG_0321.jpg

Then another 10 miles to my mother’s caravan. I’d done 597miles it was now 7:30pm.

We had dinner and a couple of glasses of wine finished me off and I turned in just after 9:30pm.

Day two follows

Landmarks:

2- Wellow, Type K6 telephone kiosk and memorial trough

3- Horner, Packhorse bridge

4- Bude, Old sea locks

5- Mullion, Marconi memorial, Poldhu Cove

7- Plympton, Triangular Folly House

8- Briantspuddle, War memorial

9- Salisbury, Pepper box tower

It was quite cool over night, I had felt it the previous day riding and was glad I'd put my liner back in my jacket it must have been gone 9am before I'd stopped noticing being chilled. I woke with cold feet, I'd only brought a light weight sleeping bag as the medium was too large to fit in the tecno and I'd not bothered with the extra bedding available. So I was back on my way before 7am.

Going east straight in to the low sun. I perservered untill my first point and then cleaned the few bugs off my visor I'd collected the day before. I had a bottle of drinking water and tea towel in my tank bag.

I had a lesuirely stop at my first point as a herd came out from milking and took several minutes to pass before I would have been able to return.

IMG_0327.jpg

I continued east into the sun, but with my cleaned visor not so much of a problem, also the sun was climbing. Lots of bikes out. As I went past the Brighton turns lots more coming towards me and again when I turned around and went north on the Brighton - London road.

When I checked in at home the previous evening I found that one of my work collegues had tried to contact me. I'd returned his call. There were two motorcycle events over the weekend from the ACE cafe, on the Saturday a "Kill Spills" a ride to downing street protesting about diesal spills. On the Sunday a run down to Brighton, apparently Brighton council were expecting 40,000 acording to MCN. He was contemplating going on his Pantah rather than his AJS and wonder if I'd fancied going. Tempting as it was I'd stick to my plans.

There were loads of bikes coming south as I went north. I think I paid more attention with what was occuring on the other carriageway than mine :o Saw a couple of Guzzi, a Jota, a K1 a couple of GT750 kettles and loads of vintage bikes and Harleys, and lots of modern stuff I couldn't identify all look the same at a closing speed of over 160mph.

I swung around the London Orbital and there were still a fair few bikes out collected my next two points and headed further west for my third. I could have done these either on the previous day, but would have had too much of a knock on effect with my timings back to my mothers and would have been dark at either or both ends.

IMG_0338.jpg

This is in Marlow [6] whilst looking for a statue of Steve Redgrave

It was only just past midday so I decided to do my remaining cotswold points and not have to come out west on another day.

west2.jpg

Glorious sunshine now, there are still lots of bikes out, saw two Vincents.

IMG_0345.jpg

This was looking the other way from [9]

Bagged my last two points. No simple direct route back so I decide to go through Stratford on Avon [12] and head cross country from there. I could do my last two remaining landmarks, but I didn't bring the info on them. I know I can find the one in Letchworth having had a sneak peak at it before Easter, but the one in Luton I'm not sure I'd find it. They're not far from home I can easily do them both in a couple of hours later.

I'm home for 5:15pm 418miles today.

A weekend total of 1015miles

Landmarks:

2- Havant, Gravewatchers hut

3- Findon, Castellated toll house

4- Alfriston, Lion and Market cross

5- Chobham, Chobham Cannon

6- Marlow, Monument to Sir Steve Redgrave

7- Long Wittenham, Pendon museam

9- Eastleach Turville, Keble's bridge (clapper & walk)

10- Long Compton, Lynch gate

11- Offenham, Maypole

th_rbr06d11.jpg