MGS-01 with lights

QuatroValvole

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were rumours that the streetlegal MGS would have the old mill of the Daytona RS (992cc - 102hp) instead of the 1225 race MGS. But they never came that far.

It was far more than a rumor. I have a Moto Guzzi brochure with the smaller displacement mgs in it. They were going to produce the smaller one for street use but apparantly decided not to. Its really a shame because it was a hot looking bike.

It was far more than a rumor. I have a Moto Guzzi brochure with the smaller displacement mgs in it. They were going to produce the smaller one for street use but apparantly decided not to. Its really a shame because it was a hot looking bike.

I suppose a couple of preproduction bikes is "more than a rumour", but keep in mind that bikes like the Ippogrifo have had brochures, too...

QuatroV the bike looks amazing.

My curiosity and scheming mind is working overtime.....

A few questions for QuatroValvole or anyone else who has made the conversion on MGS 01 for the street.

Can you give us some idea what it's like living with the MGS 01 on the street; how well is the ecu programing done for low/slow speed riding around the city with traffic? Is engine cooling adequete for the street? You or someone mentioned in one of the posts that the alternator was a little undersized for running the required lights for the street, did you change or upgrade it? I'm also guessing the battery is quite small, did you change it? Realizing that it is a track bike, how comfortable is the seating position for blasting around city streets? Gas milage??

Keep the shinny side up,

Raceboy

QuatroV the bike looks amazing.

My curiosity and scheming mind is working overtime.....

A few questions for QuatroValvole or anyone else who has made the conversion on MGS 01 for the street.

Can you give us some idea what it's like living with the MGS 01 on the street; how well is the ecu programing done for low/slow speed riding around the city with traffic? Is engine cooling adequete for the street? You or someone mentioned in one of the posts that the alternator was a little undersized for running the required lights for the street, did you change or upgrade it? I'm also guessing the battery is quite small, did you change it? Realizing that it is a track bike, how comfortable is the seating position for blasting around city streets? Gas milage??

Keep the shinny side up,

Raceboy

Haven't got a Street one but here are some thoughts through my experince of riding mine at the track. First gear is seriously tall and the clutch is little on the heavy side (no where near as bad as the mid 90's ducati's but its no megiura VOR action). I think this would make life diffcult on the street in traffic. The interals are also very lightwieght to get the engine response the way it its the way it spins up is phenomnal the new four valve griso is fairly pedestrian in comparison. This of course comes at the expense of bottom and some mid range performance. The seating postion whilst is undoubtly sporty is reasonbly comfortable (much better than my 1100 sport) although the seat is a long way off the ground at 5'11 I can get both balls of my feet on the ground (track preload setting probally has a lot to do with this). How much fuel it uses a bit I havn't worked it out but it will happily shuffle thorugh about 14-15litres of fuel in four 20minute track sessions.

Cooling I don't think will be too much of a problem on a cool day I usally get a low oil temp warning when circulating on the track, this is indicating the themostat for the oil cooler has closed.

My biggest issue running day to day is the maintnenance shedule if you stick to it is very stiff, rings every 1000kms cranks every 5000 kms. If you were using it as a sunday blaster and didn't have to contended with heavy traffic it could be reasnobly used in the street but as a day to day bike you'd be far better of with just about anything else. We also havn't mentioned the lack of a locking fuel cap or ignition key for that matter, no fuel light, gauge or any other indication and the black plastic tank is impossible to tell, no pillion accomodation or luggage and undoubtly some other things I have missed.

Oh an you also have to find one for sale AFAIK they are no longer avalible from the factory.

Murray, yours doesn't have an oil thermostat. They left it out for the mgs01, for street use it should be fitted. Your first gear is so long, because the gearbox is same as the v11, but they put a longer primary gear rate in, so everything is longer. I have the v11 gearing that is shorter. It goes fast enough this way for me.

There are quite a number on the road in germany, legal.

Intresting I'll have start taping cooler off then?? usally it gets up to temp sitting int he pits but after about three laps the low temp warning light lights up I always assumed it was wimply because the temp sensor os on the cooler the cooler had been shut off and whatever was left in the cooler was getting very cool. Surely they would of done better than that my idea of a cool day is around 18 celcius couple mid pace warm up laps would get the tmp up you'd think.