Second South'n Spine Raid 2006

docc

Last time we did this , in 2004, it was really interesting to sit in the parking lot with the appropriate libations and compare the variations in the machines.

91791[/snapback]

Howdy.

Just skimming through to make sure this was still a go, which, happily, it seems to be. Looking forward to seeing all old and new faces. Suspect I'll be tail-end charlie when it comes to riding, but there is charm in that, too. :race:

Anyway, I brought back two bottles of grappa from my recent (too-good-to-be-true) trip to Italy for my always-dwindling collection. I'll bring something tasty to Sweetwater; doubt if the Best Western there has poured much grappa to its clientele heretofore.

BTW, posted pics of that trip (including some of riding in Mandello and environs) on wildguzzi, but not here. If interested, see:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?HPSES...09&topic=4918.0

If you don't have the time or inclination, be prepared to listen to my lies 'til your eyes glaze over (assuming grappa hasn't already done that! :drink: )

Bill

Welcome home, Bill!

Glad to hear the Italy trip was a delight and that you were able to ride while there. Dreamy! :wub:

I'm hoping to pull in to Sweetwater about nightfall. Still not sure how many riders to expect but that's part of the anticipation. I PM'd Scott to find out his plans for Saturday but we can always decide on a route over grappa and single malt. :drink:

Are you headed home Saturday or staying through Sunday morning?

Howdy.

Just skimming through to make sure this was still a go, which, happily, it seems to be.  Looking forward to seeing all old and new faces.  Suspect I'll be tail-end charlie when it comes to riding, but there is charm in that, too.  :race:

Anyway, I brought back two bottles of grappa from my recent (too-good-to-be-true) trip to Italy for my always-dwindling collection.  I'll bring something tasty to Sweetwater; doubt if the Best Western there has poured much grappa to its clientele heretofore.

BTW, posted pics of that trip (including some of riding in Mandello and environs) on wildguzzi, but not here.  If interested, see:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?HPSES...09&topic=4918.0

If you don't have the time or inclination, be prepared to listen to my lies 'til your eyes glaze over (assuming grappa hasn't already done that!  :drink: )

Bill

93448[/snapback]

Depends on the grappa intake, I suppose! :drink:

Sunday. I've "budgeted" the weekend for this and have higher HQ's permission (besides, she's out of town. :D )

See you (and I trust others here) there.

Let me know if you plan this trip again cause I would love to go :thumbsup:

The only good excuse that I could come up with this year is I will be at the motogp race. :D

JJ

I'm certainly hoping to make this a regular summer ride. Nothing compares to the magic of gathering with other riders. :helmet:

We'll try to post ( a link to) some photos this year. Bill wouldn't allow cameras last time although the surveillance video was probably quite revealing . . . :pic:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

I was talking to Andy York the other day and he told me about this ride. Would you mind if I tag along? :D

94500[/snapback]

Hmmmmmm. Not as easy as it sounds.

By-laws require docc to call an executive session of the board (which consists entirely of him, btw) and vote. OTOH, he always votes yes in such cases as it's a longstanding tradition for the new guy to buy beer on day 1. :bier:

Look forward to seeing you there.

Bill

Hey,

I was talking to Andy York the other day and he told me about this ride. Would you mind if I tag along? :D

94500[/snapback]

What Bill said^ :lol:

Riders leaving Middle Tennessee are meeting at the Cracker Barrel on I 65, exit 46 at 8:30 am. We'll stomp the backroads east through Bell Buckle to McMinnville and hop TN 30 over the plateau. :race::race::race:

I've been PMing with docc and I think we may have hammered out a route for Sat.

Looks like Sweetwater- Hwy68 to Tellico plains; Cherohala Skyway over the mountain to Robbinsville NC; US129 to Deals Gap (The Dragon) towards Maryville; Foothills Parkway to Walland; and there a big argument as to where to go next.

Anyone with better ideas please chime in- as docc has threatened to make me lead, and this could be a bad thing.

These are great roads (I rode them on Sunday) for anyone outside the area, but may be a bit "routine" to those of us local.

As to how they compare to N Ga I'm afraid I don't have much experience there, so please chime in with other ideas.

Scott :race:

It's hard to imagine those roads becoming routine. Sounds kind of like pilots yawning at the controls of an F-18. :rolleyes:

I can remember that route from previous excursions and would be glad to take point. My approach is: ride your own ride, it's not a race. Shuffle positions at the stops or in passing zones, no passing in the curves. We'll regroup at every turn so no one has to memorize the whole route or end up on their own.

My only concerns about The Gap is the thickness of the law enforcement presence and the even thicker reputation of some of the intense riders who frequent that stretch of road. For anyone who's not ever done it, it's worth the T-shirt.

The route into Georgia to TWO is nice, the roads are good, really good, but not the double-back twisting intensity of The Gap. There's a good lunch stop at Tucker's Corner and always lots of interesting iron at Two Wheels Only Campground.

I suppose we'll have Bill mediate a consensus Friday night in the parking lot at the Best western. :drink:

Now, off to adjust valves and synch throttle bodies . . . :luigi:

It's hard to imagine those roads becoming routine. Sounds kind of like pilots yawning at the controls of an F-18. :rolleyes:

I can remember that route from previous excursions and would be glad to take point. My approach is: ride your own ride, it's not a race. Shuffle positions at the stops or in passing zones, no passing in the curves. We'll regroup at every turn so no one has to memorize the whole route or end up on their own.

My only concerns about The Gap is the thickness of the law enforcement presence and the even thicker reputation of some of the intense riders who frequent that stretch of road. For anyone who's not ever done it, it's worth the T-shirt.

The route into Georgia to TWO  is nice, the roads are good, really good, but not the double-back twisting intensity of The Gap. There's a good lunch stop at Tucker's Corner and always lots of interesting iron at Two Wheels Only Campground.

I suppose we'll have Bill mediate a consensus Friday night in the parking lot at the Best western. :drink:

Now,  off to adjust valves and synch throttle bodies . . . :luigi:

94787[/snapback]

I'm fine with any route as I plan to be caboose (and would be in this train whatever my intentions! :notworthy: ).

Will say that aside from downright dangerous m/c riders and LEO presence, Deals Gap can be a painful experience on a weekend. Ditto for different reasons (e.g., RV traffic) on Foothills Parkway and any roads vic. Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. That said, all are gorgeous, and I'll be happy to go along whetever the group thinking.

Rather than kicking northeast on FHP, however, you might consider Wayah Road from i/s US 129 & US 19 north of Andrews. Runs over to Franklin, and the options for attacking n. Georgia are many from there. See, e.g., http://www.wayahroad.com/

I'll arrive at the Best Western in Sweetwater sometime Friday afternoon. We can confer over beer :bier: and, of course, grappa :drink:, a process that will no doubt lead to great decisions ... but may limit our ability to remember same in the a.m. :D

Bill

P.S. Just noticed that the cast iron grate at the drain for my beloved GarageMahalo was made in Sweetwater. It's an omen. :mg:

Changed plugs, checked valves . . . nice, but, set the TPS and synched the TBs and !!! :o what a jolt! It's not like she was running badly before but OH is she ready to go now! Something like how your Golden Retriever acts when you take the double gun down from the wall and hitch up the boat . . .

Regrets. I am temporarily detained by OEF and GWOT. Enjoy TN! k