paging the forum flooder

quazi-moto

Hey there,

I didn't forget you, but I didn't take any pictures of my LeMans yet since installing the Staintunes. Unfortunately, I've been pre-occupied with some other things, but I'll try to get to it this week. They sure sound sweet though and I might even spring for the Stucchi X-over pipe if I can get my hands on one. I read in some other posts that you had the timing cover gasket blow-out. Mine failed also, right after the dealer serviced it and gave the bike a clean bill of health. I rode up to my usual weekend bike hangout, parked the Guzzi, BS'ed with some friends about my new purchase and as we walked over to the bike I saw a puddle of oil under the sump. An acquaintance of mine said "hey, there's oil all over your rear tire, too". I was not happy to say the least and luckily a friend had a cell phone so we called a local dealer (not the same dealer I bought the bike from) and he said he'd take a look at it. I carefully rode over to his shop after wiping off the rear tire and he put the bike up on a lift and cleaned off the oil that had leaked out. He then discovered that most of the timing cover bolts were loose so he snugged them up, but upon starting the engine it still leaked because at this point the gasket was already split. He didn't have the gasket in stock and his shop is a bit of a ride from my home so I carefully rode the bike home and I brought it back to my dealer the next day. They had to order a gasket and seal, so I ended up leaving the bike there for over a week. Its been fine since the repair, but I've also noticed other less significant things that I commented on in detail in the oil level post. I wish Guzzi and Aprilia would get their act together because these machines have the potential to be great bikes, but will only be mediocre bikes if these details aren't attended to. Anyhow, I'll try to get those pics to you ASAP.

..sounds like a similar gasket story as mine :huh: I was fairly fortunate enough that my dealer had the gasket in-stock, and took care of it in one day for me. ....even came to my house with a trailer to pick it up :)

But yes, very disappointing... and potentially dangerous.

I'll keep an eye out for the photos when you get a chance. Thanks again!

al