(smokey wee squirt of a pretend)Thumper (smallish)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DKW>Trabant

RangeRover –>British Leyland –>  :!:

Doesn't matter.

Proper name required.

83565[/snapback]

Do we have a winner or something? I swear BFG isn't using real words. I need a BFG to F&%$ing english translator. BMG seems pretty smart you just post after BFG and let me know what he's saying. ^_^

There'll be a point winner when the proper name is given. Unless someone would like to make me a proposition. :2c::2c:

DKW 350 Twin?????????........ :thumbsup:

83674[/snapback]

Are you insane? How could it be :stupid: when the quiz is called "(smokey wee squirt of a pretend)Thumper (smallish), stumper?"

Mike has basically got it (or at least he is very close) and Mac has hinted at the slight change that is required for the totally correct answer.

DMW

By the way DKW has no connection with Trabant that was MZ which of course grew out of splitting of DKW after the war. In fact DKW-Audi whould be more accurate

83683[/snapback]

There's a relationship – and it's a clue, I hope (as I'm not an expert on these various factory relationships).

"Rasmussens DKW engine was a simple, but effective design, with very few moving parts, which powered his motorcycles from 1919. By 1929 DKW was the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer. The same basic engine design was adapted for the DKW and Auto Union cars and later also for SAAB and Trabant."

"DKW - Das Kleine Wunder (The small wonder). The German carmaker's pre-war type F8 became the archetype of all East German family cars...."

"DKW, which the Trabant engine is based on, says that their engines last longer when they drive on 4-stroke motor oil. Though it will smell HORRIBLE!"

"the DKW F8/F9, previously produced also by Trabant)"

The "P-601" was an example of extreme essentiality: :thumbsup:

no valves,

no camshaft,

no timing belt,

no oil pump,

no water pump,

no radiator !  :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BTW. In case this introduces confusion, the answer is nothing to do with DKW. Mike is close. Now I'm throwing points away.

Guest Nogbad

I am going to make a wild guess at a Hungarian Danuvia, based on the high mounted carb suggesting a long inclined inlet port.

I like to plough my own furrow....

Puch 250SG

About 14HP

83494[/snapback]

I would have to say that it is a Puch 250 SG, made from 1953 to 1970, with a split single (or twingle) engine. This model looks to be early sixties.

The Split Single two stroke is an antiquated idea that was brilliant in its day. For model use it would be just a heavy novelty engine. Puch (Austria) started using the concept for motorcycles in the twenties. Their first split single being designed by Giovanni Marcellino.

The configuration was adopted by Ing Zoller in 1931 and was to make DKW (Germany) the dominant racing motorcycle in the Lightweight and Junior classes during the pre war years. Up until then TT races were won by overhead cam fourstroke engines, the conventional two stroke engine of the day just was not good enough. DKW also employed a third piston (3 cylinder single) which acted as a supercharger to force feed the crankcase. DKW tried piston port, reed valve and disc valve induction and had their greatest success with the disc valve setup.

Other companies that used split singles were TWN (German) and EMC (Joe Ehrlich, England). The first EMC bikes in 1947 had EMC designed engines but later machines were fitted with Puch engines.

The classic Puch layout was three transfer ports in the back cylinder with two exhaust ports and either one or two inlet ports also in the front cylinder (piston controlled inlet). The conrod had a main roller big end with a secondary sleeve bearing pivot pin at the fork in the rods.

A major draw back of the design was the mass of the pistons and conrods when compared to a conventional single. A high performance 1957 model 250 SGSS Puch road bike would produce maximum power at around 6500 rpm and be capable of 100 mph with a fuel consumption of just over 20 miles to the imperial gallon when flat out. It had an exhaust note to wake the dead and vibrated that much that stress cracks would appear in the frame. It had oil injection, dual ignition (poor combustion chamber shape) and two huge carburettors. The second carb would stay shut until about 80 mph and then would open rapidly (cam operated). With both carbs open and the air cleaners off you could look straight through the engine, look in one carb & out the other. It was shear excitement to ride back then, I know I had one.

The main reason for the split single idea was to have the exhaust port open before the transfer ports then close before the transfer ports thus preventing loss of fresh charge out the exhaust. The idea worked well with an extractor exhaust system and or a supercharger but when Walter Kaaden introduced the resonating exhaust system that relied on the transfer port shutting prior to the reflected wave of gas being rammed into the cylinder the day of the split single had ended.

This picture shows the crank/connecting rod arrangements similar to the Puch.

dobbelstempel7vv.jpg

The crank turns round and round.