Front BT020 Cupping

Guest Scura Owner

Guest Scura Owner

While moving (pushing) my bike in the garage, I felt a vibration in the handle bars. I checked the tires and found the front badly cupped on the sides (both left and right). I run 37 psig in the front per the dealers recommendations. I have about 4000 miles on the bike. The tires are the OEM Bridgestone BT020s.

BTW, the rear looks fantastic. Much better than the wear pattern on my girlfriends MEZ4s on her SV650S.

Guest dlaing

I gave up on bridgestones because of the cupping.

I believe the cupping is caused by the angle of the tread.

I believe that a tire like the Metzeler laser would cup if the chevron looked like this

/

/

/

But will work fine if it looks like this

/

/

/

take a look at your wear to see if what I say matches.

I have 2000 miles on my Dragon Corsas and have seen no cupping. My OE Bridgestones and Avon Azarros both cupped.

y2k v11s

Guest Guest

The slashes did look right.

looking at the bike from the front, if the chevron points down, this is bad. If it points up this is good. I hope I remembered that correctly....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hyper

I set my front tire pressure at 34 psi and have had no cupping on my rosso. Check your tire pressure guage against another one to make sure its calibrated properly.

I have my Bridgestones front at 34 as per manufacturers recommendation (never listen to "knowledgeable" dealers) and no cupping whatsoever.

Suspension setup can have an impact on this as well. My front tires used to wear pretty badly. After I made some suspension adjustments (increased rear preload, compression, rebound, and front compression) the front tire seems to be wearing much more evenly. Plus, the bike handles *much* better! :D

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport