handle bar weights

Guest kev11

Guest kev11

This is a dumb question .... I have a second hand V11 sport and want to

add a right side bar end mirror...I can't figure out how to remove the existing handle bar weight...Tempation is to just twist it out counterclock wise....thought I'd ask before ......

Better safe than sorry!

But fear not. Just firmly turn the weight counter clockwise with a Hex Key.

It has normal threading. ie. clockwise tightens, counter clockwise loosens.

If you got a Napoleon Mirror, it goes in sort of easily. You might lube it with rubbing alcohol which allows it to slide in, but not slide about once set. Yah, it dries out the rubber a little, but one time, won't kill it.

Not sure about competing mirrors.

The hind sight do really well if you machine your bar end weight to fit the hind sight clamp.

I had a hell of a time getting my napoleon mirrors into the stock bars. I eventually had to 'trim' the rubber part down with a dremel tool, then whack it in with a hammer (I used ethanol as a lube). If you are going to use napoleons, then you might want to put some lead shot into the bars while you have them open.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest tmartin

The Hindsight bar end mirrors work well if you just move the controls in 3/8". No machining the bar end weights The hindsight mirror clamp direcly to the 7/8" bars. Hindsights use real automotive convex glass in the mirrors and if you crash you can buy individual mirror parts. Vision is excellent--no fuzzy images even at 80 mph.

• 10 years later...

Better safe than sorry!

But fear not. Just firmly turn the weight counter clockwise with a Hex Key.

It has normal threading. ie. clockwise tightens, counter clockwise loosens.

If you got a Napoleon Mirror, it goes in sort of easily. You might lube it with rubbing alcohol which allows it to slide in, but not slide about once set. Yah, it dries out the rubber a little, but one time, won't kill it.

Not sure about competing mirrors.

The hind sight do really well if you machine your bar end weight to fit the hind sight clamp.

So in checking things over on my (new to me) 02 LeMans, I find that both bar-end counterweights and their hex bolts spin freely in either direction.  I can neither tighten or loosen them.  It's not clear from the parts diagram what does what to hold the thing in.

How do I get them out or how to I secure them?  I'm afraid that they are actually loose and may drop out while riding and be lost.

Thanks....

So the trick is to hold the weight steady while unscrewing the hex-bolt?  I will give that a try.  I just didn't want to try to force this and possibly break something.

Thanks!!

• 3 years later...

This is what should be in the handlebar:

1, bar end weight, held in with a short Allen bolt. To remove this hold the weight and undo the Allen bolt (I had to wrap a bit of leather round the weight & hold it with a pipe wrench).

2, this reveals the end of the counter weight, with an O ring & a roll pin to remove.

3, next is the retaining bolt (24mm spanner, M18 thread).

4, now the counter weight can be pulled out, which has a short rubber tube to stop the whole assembly from working it's way out of the handlebar.

If it won't come out, you can get a 5mm drill between the counter weight rod & the handlebar tube to remove whatever is jammed up there.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does ANYONE have a junk clip-on ? I need it t experiment ( cut apart ) on . I bought a pair of clip-ons and one of the weights is LOOSE . I want to cut it apart to see how to fix it . It is the throttle side . It looks like a barrel key works it . Think large tool box key .

• 2 weeks later...

This bar end moves in / out 3/8". I cannot turn the Allen bolt to loosen or tighten anything .  I bought these from a "member" of this site .  I tried contacting him MULTIPLE times with no response . I will never purchase ANYTHING from this member again .

I am trying to buy a used one to cut a apart to see if I can lock the threaded portion so I can remove / repair this situation .

I've just had my bar end weights out and it was a matter of removing the rubber plugs that covered the allen head socket in the end of the weight and loosening the screw and the weight unscrewed from the bar. The weight itself is threaded into the ID of the bar itself.

Ciao