V11 Sport - Headlight Problems

Guest Jim Sciullo

Guest Jim Sciullo

This is the second time this has happened. Inside the headlight there is a reflective cyclender that fits over the center light bulb. I guess its job is to reflect light back into the mirror finish of the headlight. Anyway, this has fallen off and is rolling around inside the headlight. Guzzi replaced the first on and less than 200 miles latter - the new one failed. Looks like another warranty claim.

Jim

Guest Oliver

Hi Jim,

welcome to the club :D

I also got a new headlight ... but if you think I got a modified/impoved one ... not at all.

My feeling is that MG has to clear their stock first. So if this new (old) headlight will "die" again ... I go to my dealer and get a new one ... and again, and again.

This way is much more expensive for MG than stop delivering the old one and sending modified ones only. This is definitely no cost improvement ... and also it does not satify you and me.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

My dealer, thank God, is a knowledgeable one. When I was replacing a stock bulb with a high output one he actually explained to me how to disassemble the reflector unit and adviced to remove the silly metal thingy.

The light is as powerful as it should be and the "thing" is long time gone...

Guest Oliver

Hi Janusz,

removing it sounds to be the best solution. Can you tell me, what function the "cover" is used for ?

If there is really no senseful function ... my cover will also be removed.

Which "high output" bulb do you use. There is a large choice on the market.

TIA for your answers.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

I really do not know what purpose these covers serve, Oliver, but I can tell you for sure that they do not deteriorate your light beam at all. I can only suspect that these things were warranted by some government regulation.

I just replaced the stock 60/55Watt bulb with a 100/80 Watt - the brand does not matter much I think. The alternator output is plenty and enough.

Another thing altogether is your wiring and switch ability to cope with a higher wattage. I have to admit that I did not check that although it is very easy. All you need is a jumper wire from the battery to your headlight (remember to put the kill swtch off); if it increases the brightness then you will need to install a relay. I am being lazy recently.

By the way, just looking at the pictures I notice that the new (2002 and on?) bikes have a different pattern reflector glass; looks much clearer and with less ribbing. I wonder if it will improve the light any and if yes maybe it would be a good idea to replace it. I also suspect that European versions have a different (and if yes, then surely better) reflector altogether.

Thats all I know, Oliver. Greetings.