Finally Bit The Bullet and Purchased A Lift

Mike Stewart

I have been in the market for a motorcycle lift for the last few months. Went to the San Francisco (Bay Area) motorcycle show and NONE of the lift manufactures showed up or there was a booth and No one to talk to. This kind of killed my interest for a while on finding one.

I just happen to see a few on Craigslist (used for $600.), emailed, no replies. Did some more looking around and came across a place that sells the Handy lifts as well as some imported ones (Hah, imported now means from China).

So, I went down to the warehouse to check out the different lifts and I purchased a scissor style lift that is only air powered, raises to 30 inches, 2 feet wide, 85 inches long, has a removeable plate under the rear wheel and it only cost $475. and it comes with the front wheel vise, an extra ram seal kit and a small two wheel dolly to move the rack around.

Bike_lift4.jpg

I will add a post in the classified section, he can ship these racks from the Bay Area to Southern California for $50.00 and across the US for aprox. $100. This is not a home delivery service but a freight company dock to dock (keeps the shipping cost down).

Mike

I have been in the market for a motorcycle lift for the last few months.  Went to the San Francisco (Bay Area) motorcycle show and NONE of the lift manufactures showed up or there was a booth and No one to talk to.  This kind of killed my interest for a while on finding one.

I just happen to see a few on Craigslist (used for $600.), emailed, no replies.  Did some more looking around and came across a place that sells the Handy lifts as well as some imported ones (Hah, imported now means from China).

So, I went down to the warehouse to check out the different lifts and I purchased a scissor style lift that is only air powered, raises to 30 inches, 2 feet wide, 85 inches long, has a removeable plate under the rear wheel and it only cost $475. and it comes with the front wheel vise, an extra ram seal kit and a small two wheel dolly to move the rack around.

Bike_lift4.jpg

I will add a post in the classified section, he can ship these racks from the Bay Area to Southern California for $50.00 and across the US for aprox. $100.  This is not a home delivery service but a freight company dock to dock (keeps the shipping cost down).

Mike

85879[/snapback]

Me likey! Some day, when I can live at home, I will get one! he he :bier:

Which make is this one Mike? Who seels it? I want to check to see if they have a Canadian rep. I like the large size of the front tire clamp. Does the bike feel secured with just the tire clamp?

Ciao, Steve G.

85914[/snapback]

I have the same one Steve. It came from Quebec but I don't know if it was made there. Never trust the tire clamp but you can secure the bike with it and feel safe to leave it for a moment while you get tie downs on it.

It is a great lift but make sure nothing is stuck underneeth it when you lower it. I have a friend who dumped the lift and bike on its side because a tire had tipped over and went under it.

I have the same one Steve. It came from Quebec but I don't know if it was made there. Never trust the tire clamp but you can secure the bike with it and feel safe to leave it for a moment while you get tie downs on it.

It is a great lift but make sure nothing is stuck underneeth it when you lower it. I have a friend who dumped the lift and bike on its side because a tire had tipped over and went under it.

85921[/snapback]

Ouch, that's the kind of stuff that might happen in my garage Jim.

Where did you buy it? Hopefully not in Quebec.

Agreed, the tire/wheel clamp is OK, but don't rely on it. They give you holes on the side of the lift to add tie down straps.

I was almost thinking of just using a sport chock with the lift. I am still doing research.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Chocks.html

The only problem would be that the chock is made for the 120/70 17 front tire.

Another option would be the tire Grab: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock/

Less money and it fits different sizes of tires.

As for having a distributor in Canada, the dealer I worked with orders straight from the maker in China. He recieved his first batch a few months ago and he had them make the lift longer and had larger wheels added (which is the one I purchased).

I don't know if he ships out of the US, but you can email him to see. Or just go with the one Jim has, could be the same thing.

Mike

Guest Barrett82

I just picked this one up last week.

Pro Cycle DT

includes a free scissor jack

at

www.gregsmithequipment.com

Lots of options available also

Ouch, that's the kind of stuff that might happen in my garage Jim.

Where did you buy it? Hopefully not in Quebec.

85923[/snapback]

I got it through Valley about 5 years ago. Don't know if they can still get them.

Did you see the one that Princess Auto has for 599? It is hydraulic but from what I've seen is a pretty good lift. Probably Chinese as well.

The trick is keeping one bike on the lift :P

Mike

I can't believe you can fit six bikes AND a lift in your garage!

You can store the G&B at my house :D

85934[/snapback]

• 10 years later...

I don't see any talk as of late discussing bike lifts . Have any of you purchased one or have one you prefer ?

$$$ is not important but I don't want to get something I will regret . Thanks for your input !

The lifts from Princess Auto are good quality, used to have two choices, foot pump or pneumatic. I took the clamp system off and installed a chock, much better now. DonG

$$$ was a consideration when  I was looking...

I ended up with the Princess Auto one as well,(kind of the Great White North version of Harbour Freight)

Once I installed a chock as per DonG, it does the job pretty well.

Were $$$ not important the Handys seem to be the choice of most of the pros.

Even the HandyLift might need a front wheel chock upgrade to miss the big Brembo rotor. The Handy also has optional side extensions to take on quads (?)

Otherwise, my HF lift, with a Baxter SportChock, has been brilliant!

(and the red matches my frame!)