Buying a 2003 Lemans / Problems ?

Guest Paul L

Guest Paul L

Hi , I am thinking of buying a 2003 Lemans with 2k miles on it. What do I have to look forward to as far as problems? How about the engine paint. Any input would be great. What is a fair price?

Thanks, Paul L

LETALIEN1@BELLSOUTH.NET

Atlanta, Ga.

:mg: Hi Paul, great choice, the right price i think is $7500 .The 2003 version don't have a great problem with a new gear selector spring and new engine paint. The 2003 have also a new instruments (ITI) where the pre 2003 (Veglia) have some problem.Buy and ride. Ciao #60 Giovanni :helmet:

Hi , I am thinking of buying a 2003 Lemans with 2k miles on it. What do I have to look forward to as far as problems? How about the engine paint. Any input would be great. What is a fair price?

Thanks, Paul L

LETALIEN1@BELLSOUTH.NET

Atlanta, Ga.

88774[/snapback]

Make sure that it's a 2004 marketed as a 2003. If it's black, I'm sure it is.

If it has black engine paint, then it isn't.

$7500 is top dollar, but if the bike is as perfect as the seller makes it out to be, it MIGHT be worth it.

Just make sure you have enough $ left over to replace the exhaust with something sassy so you can hear the big twin boom.

If it's been serviced by Michael @ Atlanta Triumph Ducati, you should be in good shape there. Two K is NOTHING on one of these bikes. It'll slowly break in over the next SEVERAL THOUSAND miles and you'll find yourself periodically having to lower the idle as it loosens up.

I'm in ATL too if you have any questions.

v50

It's not as sporty as your sporti,

I've a 2003 Lemans in Black (Grigo Titanium) bought July 03 but could have been made 02. In the US you seem to be upwards of 6 months behind on the model changes. I don't know if that's just shipping time or introduction time.

2002 was a model change, there are cases of hybrids using bits of both but these have been to my knowledge naked models.

the 2002 model change as far as the lemans goes:

Black ITI instruments not white Vague lies.

Balance pipe between the headers.

No chin pad on the fuel tank, has internal fuel pump as well.

Hollow front axle spindle.

Wider rear rim takes 180 as standard.

Supposedly some engine internals as well.

The crinkle engine paint issue effected the pre 02 and post 02 models, but is variable.

Mostly it depends if it was a grease day or a no grease day at the factory and how well it was put together.

Other than the paint the variables seem to be:

rear wheel spacer length premature wear on wheel bearings - common fault ( a dozen or so)

exhaust headers can crack - infrequent fault ( a handful)

the pawl spring in the gear box - common fault (a couple of dozen maybe on this forum)

rear shock eyes sheer - very very rare fault. (3 known world wide)

These are all easily repairable.

Other consistent niggles are the side stand/clutch/neutral safety interlock which can cause issues when one part goes dicky, hey it's Italian electrics.

Some did come with leaky seals engine /gearbox

If you treat her like shit she will corrode and the paint will fall off (mine). If you look after her there's a good chance the majority of your paint will be fine.

I may be way off on the numbers but that's my perception

Guest Paul L
I bought an 03 last year with 2000 miles. Except for the lectric stuff, which turned out to be an easy fix (and under warranty, GO NED's) no problems..... :2c:

88800[/snapback]

What do you think is a fair price? Thanks, Paul

LETALIEN1@BELLSOUTH.NET