Soft Bag mounting

Guest Oliver

One minor complaint I had (besides the seams coming undone), was the fact that, in order to lock the bags onto the bike, the key has to be inserted inside the bag.

Not a problem if the bags are empty but, if it's raining outside and you packed the bags inside the motel room, well... :mellow:

Thats why I never lock them with the key, Orson, and avoid parking my bike with the bags on anywhere downtown in a city bigger then 50,000 population <_ .>

I really do not see how the latches can be undone by accident by themselves even not locked with a key.

Anyways, let my over 3000 km fast riding without locking with the key be a proof enough :D .

• 4 months later...

I asked a similar question on installing the saddlebags on my Guzzi V11 Sport. I got the following reply, followed the directions and they fit great. The only problem was I had to cut about 1/2" off the "spacers" as the bolts would not reach the threads!

Installing Guzzi Saddlebags

Well, If these are the Tekno expandable bags here's the drill. Ill give you instruction from the shifter side of the beast. Your first observation that the brackets dont fit well is correct. Apparantly the german manufacturer used a mutant v-11, or perhaps the brackets were designed during oktoberfest. Fortunatly it is an easy fix. first remove the upper front allen screw from the pillion peg support bracket. next remove the muufler support nut. (leave bolt in place to support muffler), remove nut and allen screw on left side of license plate light.(inside fender) This is where the dogleg piece goes. Now locate the long allen screw that came in the grab bag-O-hardware. also locate the long tubular spacer as well. put the long allen thru the upper front tekno bracket, slide on the spacer, and lightly attach to upper front guzzi bracket hole. at the same time temporarily slide the front lower tekno bracket over the muffler bolt stud. Observe how far away the rear dogleg bracket is from the license plate light screw hole! Most perplexing... Gently bend the dogleg back to meet the intended target. No hamfisting please! locate the other 6mm allen screw that is about 3/8" longer than the one you removed from the license plate light. put it in the hole to see how the dogleg lines up. You may notice the hole in the dogleg is rotated so the screw wont go in. You will need to insert a phillips screwdriver into the dogleg bracket hole and gently twist it to make it parallel to the mounting point. That done, you can put the nut on the bolt and finger tighten. Locate larger diameter bolt intended to replace the muffler support bolt. push out the stock guzzi bolt and replace with the longer one. remember to replace the washers that came off too! Support the muffler with your knee to aid in aligning the bolt.

snug down all three mounting points. Fasteners should be tight but not cranked. Periodically check them for looseness. The other side is just as fun! Hope this helps!

I didn't have to bend anything, but I did have to cut 1/4" off of the black spacers. After removing the rear footrest/muffler bracket forward bolt, I turned the black spacer diameter enough to let one end slip snuglyinto the footrest bracket. Everything else fit fine except that the small nut/screw combinations for the position stops that keep the bags positioned fore/aft didn't fit, so I substituted. By cutting and modifying the black spacers, I didn't have to place any stress on the bag frame at all.